Guess what?

I'm on the pre-op weight loss diet for gastric sleeve surgery, which will be coming up in a couple of months. I found out today that I lost 11 pounds this month, and that I now weight 199.7 pounds. It is the first time that I've weighed under 200 since my 11-year-old was born. I know I'm on the low end of obesity for this surgery, but at my height, I am morbidly obese. For the first time in many years, I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Replies

• edup1975
    edup1975 Posts: 486 Member
    Congrats. Where from
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Diamondhead Mississippi
  • edup1975
    edup1975 Posts: 486 Member
    New Orleans here. Add me if you like
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    congratulations!!! That is a great accomplishment! Good luck!!
  • JenniferNoll
    edited September 2016
    JoeCWV wrote: »
    Just wondering. You just lost 11 pounds why not skip the surgery and keep on doing what you are doing? The money you save could be spent on new clothes when you hit your goal :smile:
    I'm also thinking that if you managed 11lbs, you can manage the rest without the physical pain of an op.

I really wish I could sustain this. I really do. I've been overweight since I was 10, and I'm 40 now. Only at one time (when I was 19 and very ill with undiagnosed crohn's disease), have I ever been at a point where I was not overweight if not obese. I may lose at this rate for a month, maybe two, but then it will stall. I'll gain/lose the same 5-10 pounds for the next year.

On my 32nd birthday, I was finally diagnosed with crohn's disease. I was put on high doses of steroids, and within a year, I had gained over 70 pounds. I am one of those people who gains a lot of weight on those types of meds, and I had to take other medications to deal with the side effects of the steroids. Those meds also had the side effect of weight gain and/or increased appetite.

I'm now in remission of my disease, thanks to new meds, and I don't need the steroids anymore. Still, even with Weight Watchers, phentermine, topomax, paleo, low carb, vegetarianism, perscription diet drinks, and many other efforts, I've never managed to shift more than a few pounds of the weight. I've worked with personal trainers, use videos at home, and I walk with my family after meals.

It has been with careful consideration of this history, conference with my family, and meeting with my medical team that I have made the decision to resort to weight loss surgery. My high level of physical activity during my periods of good health, and consistent healthy eating just haven't done it for me. I'm not looking forward to my 11th surgery in 17 years, but if it's what it takes to reach a weight that is healthy and comfortable for me, that's what I'm going to have to do.

Really, though, it's kind of you to look out for my best interests. I do appreciate it.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    edited September 2016
    Just wondering. You just lost 11 pounds why not skip the surgery and keep on doing what you are doing? The money you save could be spent on new clothes when you hit your goal :smile:

Because likely the doctor has the OP on a very low calorie diet which isn't sustainable for the long term for anyone or restricted in some other way which once again may not be sustainable long term for the OP.

I imagine the OP's doctor, surgeon and OP know more about the OP's weight story than we do and should give them credit for knowing what is best for the OP having worked through all the other options.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    I'm on the pre-op weight loss diet for gastric sleeve surgery, which will be coming up in a couple of months. I found out today that I lost 11 pounds this month, and that I now weight 199.7 pounds. It is the first time that I've weighed under 200 since my 11-year-old was born. I know I'm on the low end of obesity for this surgery, but at my height, I am morbidly obese. For the first time in many years, I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Well done.

Surgery isn't for everyone, but no doubt it wasn't decision made lightly by you. Good luck, I hope you achieve the outcomes you are hoping for.

• JenniferNoll

Because likely the doctor has the OP on a very low calorie diet which isn't sustainable for the long term for anyone or restricted in some other way which once again may not be sustainable long term for the OP.

I imagine the OP's doctor, surgeon and OP know more about the OP's weight story than we do and should give them credit for knowing what is best for the OP having worked through all the other options.

Well done.

Surgery isn't for everyone, but no doubt it wasn't decision made lightly by you. Good luck, I hope you achieve the outcomes you are hoping for.

Thank you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!