Reconsidering this weight loss

Options
cgriggs1524
cgriggs1524 Posts: 11 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I have lost 30 lbs and have 20lbs left to reach my goal weight but I am struggling with being happy about this different body? I guess its not what I thought, Im still so uncomfortable in clothes and wondering if its even worth it

Replies

• GothamVeggie
    GothamVeggie Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It takes time to adjust. It will take so much longer for your brain to catch up with the changes in your body. Stay strong. Stick with it. You will eventually feel better. I promise.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lifting weights? You can more or less alter parts of your body and create shape/size in areas that wasn't there before. It also helps mood, posture, health, etc. Body dysmorphia is real and it takes time to adjust but thought it was worth mentioning.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    It takes time. You're not done.

Losing weight will not bring you happiness. That's internal work. What it will do is make you healthier. It will reduce damage to your joints. It will reduce your risk of T2D, heart disease, and a host of other health issues.

I'm not used to what I'm seeing nearly 95lbs down, but what I love is how amazing I feel.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You've lost about half the weight you plan to, so I wouldn't expeect you to be satisfied with your body yet. I don't know your age or fitness level, but maybe you need to set some realistic expectations about what you body will look like. Most of us don't look like models and can't because models are airbrushed & photoshopped!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    You're probably having mirror failure. I don't know if it has a legitimate scientific name, that's just what I call it. When we lose weight, and get physically smaller, our brains take a while to catch up. You have an image of yourself in your head, and lots of what you see is made up by your brain. Like, did you know you have a blind spot right dead center in the middle of your vision? No? We all do. But you don't see it because your brain fills it in with a guess of what's there based on what is around the blind spot. This works the same way. Your brain anticipates seeing old you in the mirror, so that's what it lets you see. It takes a while before it begins to see new less heavy you, but if you took high quality before pictures to compare, you'd probably see a difference. People on the "Success Stories" board talk about this all the time. It's a common issue. Plus, as others have said, you're not to goal yet. And the biggest most prominent thing you'll hear on the success stories board is how the last 10 or 15 lbs was A. The hardest to lose because of the defeatist attitude you have right now, because we all get that at some point you're so not alone and B. That's when the parts you don't like finally come off. Stubborn belly fat? LAST thing you'll lose. Wiggly arms? LAST thing you'll lose. It feels like a conspiracy LOL:) but that's what all the people who have made it seem to experience.

Just hang in there a little while longer. Take one day at a time. You're going to get there. Also, what lorrpb said. You may NOT look the way you want to when you get to goal, but you have to have a realistic idea of what normal people look like, for one, and you can make alterations to yourself by weight training to tighten up those problem areas. Keep hanging in.
  • Laurie6578
    Laurie6578 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I also have times where I am really uncomfortable in my skin. It's just the adjustment phases we go through as we lose weight. It's a major life change and as much mental as it is physical. I have times where I just feel sloppy and weird. Nothing feels right. I try to concentrate on the good things that have come with it, more energy, joints don't hurt and I can walk up stairs easier. Exercise definitely helps!!