Sick of being the overweight mom

Options
2»

Replies

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    For those of you that are emotional eaters, I highly recommend the book The Beck Solution. Someone posted it here a long time ago and I got it. It is not a diet. It is cognitive behavioral therapy to unlearn being an emotional eater. It is an excellent book, very very helpful, and honestly, until you deal with why you emotional eat and then learn not to, keeping weight off will be hard. Follow this book while you're losing and when you get to maintenance I believe you'll be much more successful. One of the best pieces of advice I've found on these forums has been that book. Best wishes.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    mrsschalk wrote: »
    Hello I am the proud mom of 4 wonderful boys ages 9,8,5,4. I recently had a check up and am on the verge of being diabetic. I am currently 272 at 5'4. I hope to make some new friends who will help me on this long journey I have in front of me. I seriously have emotional issues with food that I need to change any help would be amazing.

If you have emotional issues surrounding food, I would highly suggest you seek out a therapist to deal with those issues. Most methods will fail until you address the mental health aspect.

Now, that being said, don't let it stop you. You are capable of doing two things at once :)
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi MrsChalk, I am also a mom of four, plus two in heaven, lost during pregnancy-- boys and girls. I'm not sure how serious your emotional eating is, but I do understand emotional eating to some degree, so maybe this will help: One thing that is so wonderful about using MFP and calorie counting is that you can eat what you want. You don't have to feel like you're depriving yourself of anything. I have found that this has tremendously helped my own "emotional" eating. Obviously we should make good nutritious food choices for the benefit of our health. But if we really want some chocolate or something "indulgent," we can have it. As long as we stick to our calorie goals, we'll lose the weight. I love being able to eat what I want while also losing weight. Best wishes to you on your weight loss journey.
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm a mother of two kids and I've been on a weight loss program since June. I'm trying to get to a healthy weight, because I am also sick of being the overweight mom. Plus, life is so much harder when carrying around all the excess weight!

So far I've lost around 15 pounds since starting my program. Losing weight is not easy, but it's totally doable! The weight didn't go on overnight, so it's not going to fall off overnight, but it will happen if you stick to it. Good luck.
  • deedles28
    deedles28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm married, work f/t and a mom of 3 kids, 9 yo and 6yo twins. We have a busy schedule and I don't have a lot of "me" time. Tired of being the overweight mom too. Would love to have some friends to help me along the way.
  • rosellkimberlyd
    Options
    Hi! I am a mom of 3 boys. Never lost the weight gained with my last 2 pregnancies. Wanted to get into better shape so i can enjoy more activities with them. Then my doctor told me i am pre-diabetic. That was the final push i needed to start making this a priority. I am a newbie here too- this is my first visit to the community forum. Send a request if you want to add me to your friend list and we can cheer each other on!
  • melissa_ky2012
    melissa_ky2012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi !!! I am a 5'2 245lb mom of a 6 year old boy & a 4 year old and I too are tired of being that overweight mom. I struggle with emotional eating, bored eating and trying my best to work through and overcome those issues and it's hard because food is my comfort, best friend and is always there for me