How much realistically can I lose by Xmas At 370lbs

Options
2»

Replies

• Cambridge727
    Cambridge727 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My average weight loss has been 5 pounds month losing weight slowly has greater effect than to fast. The body needs time to adjust and you have eat properly to burn calories. Then you need tone by working out to avoid loose skin . 2 pounds weekly should be your goal
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am 371lbs and I've made it my short term goal to get under 300 pounds by Xmas. I've heard the bigger you are the faster you lose weight at first. Obviously I know it slows down but is it possible to get under 300 by Xmas? That's 71 pounds and about 93 days. I've been basing my diet off of the insanity diet and work close with it. I am fairly active I.e I clean and chase after three kids all day lol. I'm trying to not eat too little been staying between 1200-2000 calories a day of mostly low calorie high protein foods

First of all, this whole perception "Lose weight for summer/New Year/other holidays" etc. is so wrong. You need to relax and being consistent. Progressively increasing the volume of working out since it might affect bad your joints and heart if you go hard core cardio at this weight start with walking,swimming. Second 1200-2000 cal is a big range pls be more specific also it is not about cutting but eating more home made food and more consistent diet with less junk. It is important where your cal come from.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    my friend who got me started on this lost 70lbs in 7months. She ate 1600/cal/day & said 1200/day is too low . Mine was 1440/day but when i lost a little more it put my down to 1390/day
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi @hannah1011z, as the lady above has stated, that's a "insanely high" goal. 1200-2000 cals a day is a bit of a gap as well. You should probably be looking at a steady 1200-1300 cal. per day solution.

To lose 70lbs in 3.5 months would not be very much fun, and probably not very healthy. It's possible you could lose 15lbs a month though, but it would be work. A lot of work!

If your long term goal is to get healthy I would consider a more holistic, long term approach. Maybe speaking with a Physician or a nutritionist who can help you set some realistic short term and long term goals, along with adding some exercise everyday. Even just adding a 1/2 mile walk 2 x a day can make all the difference. "Slow and steady wins the race" is something I kind of go by.

I appreciate you want to do it all as fast as possible, and I applaud your decision to get healthy, but if your long term goal is to be healthy for your kids and one day become a police officer, I would slow it down a bit and get professional advice.

Good luck, and God bless!

1200 cal is too little that will only lead to later binge
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hi Hannah, I am a Holistic Nutritionist that specializes in Nutritional Ketosis and I can tell you that this is the quickest way to lose weight. Have you looked into a Ketogenic lifestyle? You would not lose the 71 pounds that you want but it would give you quicker results then a high protein, low calorie diet. My clients on average lose 15 -20 pounds per month. Check out Eat Fat, Get Thin by Dr. Mark Hyman, MD at www.eatfatgethin.com or there is another site that you can go look at www.mariamindbodyhealth.com Besides losing weight this way of eating has many health benefits. Good Luck!

As a baseline, you should treat any offer of the "the quickest way to lose weight" with not just a grain of salt, but the entire salt shaker.

ETA: Even at your starting weight, 71 pounds in 93 days is not a realistic goal, and probably not a healthy goal, unless you are under the supervision of a doctor who deems the short-term health risks of your current weight to be greater than the risks of a VLCD crash diet.

30 to 35 lbs is probably doable in a healthy way in that time-frame at your starting weight. But even if you only lose 10 or 20 lbs, isn't that better than where you are now, and progress toward your ultimate goal?
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think my coach said it best, I had 40 pounds to drop... his response was "You didn't gain it in a few months, you aren't gonna lose it in a few months." Not what I wanted to hear, but "doing it right" has been worth it. Typical "healthy" loss is 1-2 per week. Yes the heavier you are the quicker it will come off at first...but don't bank on that. Set a short term realistic goal, its much easier to manage :) good luck! Pulling for you. Remember, being healthy is a life style, not a diet.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options
    Hi @hannah1011z, as the lady above has stated, that's a "insanely high" goal. 1200-2000 cals a day is a bit of a gap as well. You should probably be looking at a steady 1200-1300 cal. per day solution.

To lose 70lbs in 3.5 months would not be very much fun, and probably not very healthy. It's possible you could lose 15lbs a month though, but it would be work. A lot of work!

If your long term goal is to get healthy I would consider a more holistic, long term approach. Maybe speaking with a Physician or a nutritionist who can help you set some realistic short term and long term goals, along with adding some exercise everyday. Even just adding a 1/2 mile walk 2 x a day can make all the difference. "Slow and steady wins the race" is something I kind of go by.

I appreciate you want to do it all as fast as possible, and I applaud your decision to get healthy, but if your long term goal is to be healthy for your kids and one day become a police officer, I would slow it down a bit and get professional advice.

Good luck, and God bless!

Overall I think this post contains very good advice, but on this one bolded point I would say that at 370 pounds, OP Hannah will still be in a substantial deficit on days she consumes 2000 calories, and if it helps her to stick with it to have a wide range (from the minimum recommendation without medical supervision of 1200 calories to what is probably still a 1000 calorie deficit at 2000 calories), I don't see any reason to discourage her.

Hannah, it may make your weight loss a little erratic to bounce around within an 800 calorie range (more loss one week, less of a loss another week), but if that doesn't bother you, there's no reason to aim for a narrow calorie window right now. After you've loss a hundred pounds or so, you will probably find you need to narrow that daily calorie range.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think it is great that you want to lose weight. But why? What is your reason to lose weight? Do you want to lose weight or do you want to get healthy? Why the desperate need to lose 71 lbs by Christmas? What are you willing to do to reach your goals?

Getting healthy is more than inches lost or scale numbers getting lower. It is also mental and emotional. If you want to lose weight to show family at Christmas the new you, what is going to help you after Christmas? See, regardless if you lose 71 lbs or 20 people will see it. Even if they don't, who cares. You need to get healthy for YOU! If you are losing weight to lose weight the weight is more likely to come back. But if you are losing to get healthy, then the mindset will start there and grow so when you are at a healthy weight you will continue the journey without slipping back to old habits.

With such a big goal, stick to a set amount of calories a day, no more 1200-2000 as that is too much fluctuation. Exercise other than the house and kids. Go for a walk, dance in your house, climb stairs, march in place, etc for an hour a day. Split it up if you have to into 15-20 minute segments throughout the day. During commercials march in place or get out some dumb bells and do some bicep curls. Drink plenty of water and less sugary drinks. Watch your salts as it causes water retention.

If you want to achieve anything, you must first take the steps to achieve them. Saying you want to do something and actually doing something is two separate things. I do believe if you are determined enough, and want it bad enough you can lose a good amount of weight before Christmas. How much depends on your body, your health, and your effort. Starving will NOT get you there. Laziness will not get you there. Excuses will not get you there.

We are all here to cheer you on and give you support. We will listen to your struggles and tell you what we have done. But that's all we can do. We aren't trying to be negative or hurtful. We are trying to be real to you. We are trying to be honest with you. Please keep us updated on your progress.
  • pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo other thoughts here, and suggest a different wording of the goal. For instance, my goal is "have a body that I'm not embarrassed by by Memorial Day". I got started in June, and as of right now I *might* have lost a total of 20 pounds, maybe. I know I've lost 14 pounds. I didn't track anything for the first 6-8 weeks, though, so I really don't know the upper bound of it.

I was about to type out a whole long bit about the successes I've had to date, but that doesn't do you any good, since they're not your successes. Instead, I would like you to consider something about what you're wanting to do: You want to lose 71 pounds in 87 days. That's 13oz of weight every day. Please don't attempt that without a doctor watching over you near constantly. The damage you can do to yourself while doing so could be irreversible.

Go slower, lose a couple pounds/week. Talk to a doctor, and get the doctor to prescribe a specific exercise plan for you at your current fitness condition. Set goals that are more in tune with the idea of improving your body.

For example, maybe your goal is to lose a dress size (or 2, or more) by Christmas. That will give you a deadline (good for goals, having a way to measure your success will help you achieve it), it will give you something that you can see and share, *and* it will keep you from using weight as a way to measure your success. After all, a major point is that this isn't really just weight loss, but also fixing your body's condition. It will change shape, and you will develop your muscles when you add in exercise, which will drive weight up (muscle weighs more than fat), even though your body is is in better condition than it was!

But please don't aim for the 71lbs by Christmas, not without doctor's orders and supervision. It could do you real harm.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hi Hannah, I am a Holistic Nutritionist that specializes in Nutritional Ketosis and I can tell you that this is the quickest way to lose weight. Have you looked into a Ketogenic lifestyle? You would not lose the 71 pounds that you want but it would give you quicker results then a high protein, low calorie diet. My clients on average lose 15 -20 pounds per month. Check out Eat Fat, Get Thin by Dr. Mark Hyman, MD at www.eatfatgethin.com or there is another site that you can go look at www.mariamindbodyhealth.com Besides losing weight this way of eating has many health benefits. Good Luck!

There is nothing magical about the keto way of eating that will mean larger losses over the long term. There is an initial water whoosh but that's not fat loss. It all comes down to calorie consumption. Keto isn't for everyone.

There isn't anything magical, no, and I agree it isn't for anyone but it's an ideal WOE for someone who is over 300lbs and could potentially be diabetic/pre-diabetic or could have developed PCOS which tremendously affects your ability to lose weight. I don't know if OP is diabetic or where she's at so I'm not recommending anything at this point.

@hannah1011z - See your doctor before starting anything and get a wellness check. I know that's such a typical response but it's so important to get a baseline to know where you stand. Get a full lipid panel (blood work) done before deciding on what approach is best for you to check your glucose, HDL, LDL and triglyceride levels. If you're diabetic or even pre-diabetic you might want to look at a keto or low carb diet.

In any case you won't lose over 70lbs by Christmas, but you'd feel a whole lot better and be a lot lighter than you are.

Edit: tagged the wrong person
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. One pound at a time. Setting goal is great. But that is a lot to lose in 93 days. I wish you luck on your journey. You can do it. Add me if you need support :)
  • MarriedToTheBob
    MarriedToTheBob Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Your body will lose 70 pounds if it wants to . Just eat right , work out and drink water and let your body do what it was designed to do.