Strength -VS- Aesthetics

Options
2»

Replies

• bigbuffbarry
    bigbuffbarry Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Strength. Strongman/powerlifting. Even if its's aesthetics you desire, people still ask about your max lifts... Might as well make them astronomical in the process
  • Jirani25
    Jirani25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Strength. Strongman/powerlifting. Even if its's aesthetics you desire, people still ask about your max lifts... Might as well make them astronomical in the process

Right, and not always but typically you get strong while aquiring an impressive physique in the process.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Overall, my goals are "all of the above"--health, strength, and aesthetics. They go hand in hand for me, though there might be more of a focus on one or another at times. At this specific moment I am trying to focus on health and, if all goes well, my strength should increase as a result.

@jemhh not to sound perverted, but your butt is looking more perky!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Jirani25 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I know I will never be thin, my thighs will always touch, I will never have visible abs and I have come to accept that. I am a mother over 40 and my journey to fitness started just 2 years ago. I am happy with strong, fit and athletic. However, I am still looking to drop a few more stubborn pounds!! :)

YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO.
    SHOOT FOR THE STARS.
    I BELIEVE IN YOU!

I hate to hear someone say "can't" or "I'll never"..

If you put forth the effort your results will follow. Diet and exercise are crucial for you I believe.

Don't waste your life wishing..

Sometimes people say they can't because the desire isn't there. Sometimes they say they'll never reach something because they know that the sacrifices they would have to make to get there are not something they are interested in doing. Eventually she may see something that inspires her to shoot for visible abs, but not everyone wants them.

Despite having visible abs myself I think that a lot of fit people tend to push that ideal on others when the reality is that not everyone wants that. I let people know it is possible, even for moms like me, but not everyone is "wasting their life wishing" for visible abs or a thigh gap.

Well said, and you have a valid point.

I agree, and personally do not encourage one to change their goals. Or to strive for someone else's personal preference on a "good physique" specifically.

My understanding and what I took from her comment was that, she wanted a smaller tummy, and less fat on her thighs, but didn't feel it was achievable for her personally.

What you said though helps me take away a different understanding.

You have an interesting perspective on it though, that haven't had before.

I took the thighs will always touch comment to mean just that. My thighs have always touched because my hips aren't built wide and that's how most women are built. Even the day of my bodybuilding competitions my thighs touched. It's not about fat, it's about build.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Overall, my goals are "all of the above"--health, strength, and aesthetics. They go hand in hand for me, though there might be more of a focus on one or another at times. At this specific moment I am trying to focus on health and, if all goes well, my strength should increase as a result.

@jemhh not to sound perverted, but your butt is looking more perky!

Ah thanks, @usmcmp, I appreciate it. That made my day :)
  • Jirani25
    Jirani25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know I will never be thin, my thighs will always touch, I will never have visible abs and I have come to accept that. I am a mother over 40 and my journey to fitness started just 2 years ago. I am happy with strong, fit and athletic. However, I am still looking to drop a few more stubborn pounds!! :)

SHOOT FOR THE STARS.
    I BELIEVE IN YOU!

If you put forth the effort your results will follow. Diet and exercise are crucial for you I believe.

Sometimes people say they can't because the desire isn't there. Sometimes they say they'll never reach something because they know that the sacrifices they would have to make to get there are not something they are interested in doing. Eventually she may see something that inspires her to shoot for visible abs, but not everyone wants them.

Despite having visible abs myself I think that a lot of fit people tend to push that ideal on others when the reality is that not everyone wants that. I let people know it is possible, even for moms like me, but not everyone is "wasting their life wishing" for visible abs or a thigh gap.

Well said, and you have a valid point.

I agree, and personally do not encourage one to change their goals. Or to strive for someone else's personal preference on a "good physique" specifically.

My understanding and what I took from her comment was that, she wanted a smaller tummy, and less fat on her thighs, but didn't feel it was achievable for her personally.

What you said though helps me take away a different understanding.

You have an interesting perspective on it though, that haven't had before.

I took the thighs will always touch comment to mean just that. My thighs have always touched because my hips aren't built wide and that's how most women are built. Even the day of my bodybuilding competitions my thighs touched. It's not about fat, it's about build.

Ah!! Okay, makes sense. It's a statement that can be easily misundertood I'm my defense.

But I do understand what you mean about the structure of your body. My girlfriend is the same way. As far as your hips go, at least. Great quads but not wide hips or the famous, "thigh gap".

Hips aren't important in competition though, more the waist to shoulder ratio, I would think.

I apologize, I misunderstood you
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options

SHOOT FOR THE STARS.
    I BELIEVE IN YOU!

Thank you! I do actually work very hard to maintain the body that I have and still have a few stubborn lbs. to lose. I won't have a thigh gap because I have very strong muscular legs, I love my legs. I suppose I could have a visible abs but yup not willing to make those sacrifices! I like to eat foods that I shouldn't occasionally and drink beer! My whole point was that I accept me for who I am and choose strength over aesthetics...which was the point to this post.

No worries here I am not wasting my life wishing, I am enjoying every minute of it!!