Breakfast Bowl Recipes

Options
aubreyjordan
aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
Anyone have some breakfast bowl recipes? I'm looking for ones I can make on Sunday, freeze, and reheat at work. Looking for higher protein/fat and lower carb, but I'll take all recipe suggestions that are tasty and filing.

Thank you in advanced!

Replies

• 2run2ski
    2run2ski Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favs --- but I don't know if it meets your wish list.

Ahead of time, you could make the PB mix and premeasure the cereal. I wouldn't mix it all together until you get to work as it gets too mushy (for my taste anyway).

1 oz of cereal (I use Cheerios most often)
    1 T of peanut butter
    1-2 tsp honey
    1T wheat germ (or flax, chia etc)
    1/2 to 1 whole banana cut up
    pumpkin spice to taste

(It's easiest if you weigh the ingredients (fewer cups/spoons). )
    Mix pb, honey, wheat germ together.
    Add cereal and mix to combine.
    Add cut up banana.
    Sprinkle with pumpkin spice.
    Eat with glass of milk (optional! but, oh-so-good!).
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @aubreyjordan - I don't know how you feel about eggs or an egg bake, but this was easy to prep Sunday night that will last me through the work week.

It makes 8 servings. You can change up the veggies if you'd like. I got the idea from Skinnytaste. As you can see in the nutrition, it's very low carb, and high in protein and fat.

Ingredients:
    2 tbsp, Cheese - Parmesan, shredded
    0.25 tsp, Black Pepper - Ground
    2 link, Mild Italian Chicken Sausage
    3 second spray, Original Cooking Spray - Corrected Per Can
    1.75 cup, Classic Mozzarella Fancy Shredded Low Moisture Part-skim Mozzarella Cheese
    1 tablespoon, Olive Oil
    5 oz(s), Shallots, raw
    5 ounce, Button Mushrooms
    7.75 ounce, Roasted Red Bell Peppers
    5 oz(s), Broccoli Florets
    8 egg, Cage Free Extra Large Brown Eggs
    4 egg white, Egg Whites
    0.25 cup, Original Unsweetened Almond Milk

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray 13x9 baking pan with cooking spray. Take half the mozzarella cheese and sprinkle it on the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
    Remove sausage from casing. Add to a LARGE skillet. Cook on medium-high heat until brown. Set aside. Add olive oil. Add mushrooms and shallots. Saute until tender, 5-6 minutes. Add roasted red bell pepper and broccoli. Add back sausage. Saute for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and put into the baking pan.
    Mix eggs, egg whites, milk, and parmesan cheese until combined. Pour over mixture in baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Cook in oven for 30-35 minutes.

Nutrition (for mine) per serving:
    calories 266
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 15 g
    Saturated Fat 6 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 244 mg
    Sodium 602 mg
    Potassium 196 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 8 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Sugars 3 g
    Protein 24 g
    Vitamin A 18 %
    Vitamin C 25 %
    Calcium 25 %
    Iron 8 %

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    @aubreyjordan - I don't know how you feel about eggs or an egg bake, but this was easy to prep Sunday night that will last me through the work week.

It makes 8 servings. You can change up the veggies if you'd like. I got the idea from Skinnytaste. As you can see in the nutrition, it's very low carb, and high in protein and fat.

Ingredients:
    2 tbsp, Cheese - Parmesan, shredded
    0.25 tsp, Black Pepper - Ground
    2 link, Mild Italian Chicken Sausage
    3 second spray, Original Cooking Spray - Corrected Per Can
    1.75 cup, Classic Mozzarella Fancy Shredded Low Moisture Part-skim Mozzarella Cheese
    1 tablespoon, Olive Oil
    5 oz(s), Shallots, raw
    5 ounce, Button Mushrooms
    7.75 ounce, Roasted Red Bell Peppers
    5 oz(s), Broccoli Florets
    8 egg, Cage Free Extra Large Brown Eggs
    4 egg white, Egg Whites
    0.25 cup, Original Unsweetened Almond Milk

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray 13x9 baking pan with cooking spray. Take half the mozzarella cheese and sprinkle it on the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
    Remove sausage from casing. Add to a LARGE skillet. Cook on medium-high heat until brown. Set aside. Add olive oil. Add mushrooms and shallots. Saute until tender, 5-6 minutes. Add roasted red bell pepper and broccoli. Add back sausage. Saute for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and put into the baking pan.
    Mix eggs, egg whites, milk, and parmesan cheese until combined. Pour over mixture in baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Cook in oven for 30-35 minutes.

Nutrition (for mine) per serving:
    calories 266
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 15 g
    Saturated Fat 6 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 244 mg
    Sodium 602 mg
    Potassium 196 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 8 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Sugars 3 g
    Protein 24 g
    Vitamin A 18 %
    Vitamin C 25 %
    Calcium 25 %
    Iron 8 %

I do something very similar. I roast a lot of different vegetables, mix with fresh spinach and put in a large pyrex. I cover with egg whites and bake for about 40 minutes or until the eggs are set. I top it with salsa and shredded chicken.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I like to make a Mexican inspired breakfast bowls that freeze very well. I sautee bell peppers and onions and top with soft scrambled eggs (I do a soft curd since it gets reheated in the microwave) or chorizo and top with salsa and cilantro. If I have leftover roasted potatoes/sweet potatoes I will throw those in at the bottom. You can really do any veggie/protein combo. I find the eggs reheat better with some sort of sauce (i.e. salsa, tomato sauce, etc.) on top, but if you do a soft scramble, they don't dry out even without a sauce. Just pop them in the fridge the night before and microwave in the morning. They also last in the fridge for about 5 days as well.

Also, you asked for a bowl, but sometimes I also make breakfast sandwiches and freeze them too! Just take some sort of bread (english muffins or some other small bread) and top with eggs (I tend to make mine fritatta style, mix in veggies and just bake in the over at 350 until cooked through. I then cut them out and top the muffin) I then add cheese or any additional protein (like sausage or bacon). Make sure to defrost the night before and microwave in the morning. These do not hold up as well if you microwave when they are still very frozen.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    These are some great ideas, thank you!