Why do carbs keep me full and satiated as opposed to proteins and fats?

Options
Everywhere I read in groups, forums, testimonies, and online blogs swear by protein and/or fats being the best type of foods for hunger problems and cravings, and state that carbs will make hunger and cravings worse. But for some reason its the complete opposite for me. High fats and/or proteins spark my hunger and cause my cravings. Carbs don't. I've even done experimenting. For example, a big omelette will hold me off for maybe 2 hours before I'm hungry again. A stack of pancakes or big bowl of oatmeal (equal calories to the omelette) will hold me off for 5 hours before I'm hungry again. Similar with dinner. High carb dinner = no midnight cravings. I've tried different eating lifestyles; low-carb, keto, Paleo, and a balance of each macro. But the only thing that ended up stopping my cravings, binges, tiredness, frequent hunger and snacking is a high carb, low fat diet (even though the calories haven't changed). Can someone explain? Not that I'm complaining. I'm just confused because so many others suggest to cut carbs and increase fats when it comes to hunger problems, satiety and fatigue. Another thing; when I was eating higher fats+protein while lower carbs, I had bloating issues. My stomach didn't flatten until high carb, low fat (another thing that's contradictory). Is there something wrong with my body? lol

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Starchy carbs keep me full. IDK why, but they do. You're not alone.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You must not be overly carb sensitive. Others find carbs affect them more - often the (approximately) half of the population with insulin resistance. Perhaps you have excellent insulin sensitivity?

If it works for you, go with it. :) Change it if it stops working for you one day.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I used to love carbs, but they do not love me. So i had to switch to low carb and eat more protein and fats. At first I was hungry all the time, so I was told by my TCM doctor/acupuncturist to just keep eating protein and green veggies. Eventually my body got used to it, and I don't have to eat as much.

Carbs are fun though, so if you can eat them, then enjoy! :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Starchy carbs are the most satiating for me too.

Protein not at all (it's chicken for dinner tonight - great how many?).
    Fat not really - I could eat a ton of high fat savoury snacks no problem at all.

Maybe it's the bulk of starchy carbs? Don't know, but I know what works for me.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    I forgot to say though that there was a period of time last year where I was ridiculously active, and felt better when I ate some more carbs. Are you frequently moving around, working out, etc?
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    I forgot to say though that there was a period of time last year where I was ridiculously active, and felt better when I ate some more carbs. Are you frequently moving around, working out, etc?

Yes, I take 10,000 steps per day and workout 30-60 minutes 5-6 days a week. I originally disregarded that thought though, considering there's many low-carb active fitness people out there. But I'll take your word for it :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    People are different. Some carbs (tubers, legumes, vegetables and fruit) are satiating to me, whereas others (grains) aren't. Protein is. Fats aren't.

Just figure out what works for you and ignore what others claim. Anyone who thinks they can say for sure what someone else will find satiating is misinformed.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

Yes, I take 10,000 steps per day and workout 30-60 minutes 5-6 days a week. I originally disregarded that thought though, considering there's many low-carb active fitness people out there. But I'll take your word for it :)

LOL, thanks! That's just from my experience though. I have become more sedentary since then, so went back to my old diet. We'll see what happens when I get up and going again. I don't believe there's a one size fits all, so you just do you!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i HAVE to have carbs with protien and fat to feel satisfied.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If your body doesn't have issues regulating sugars, stick with what is most satiating to you! Go with the carbs, I love carbs.

Some people seem to have a negative response to carbs -or- have a greater response in regards to weight loss removing carbs from their diets.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Carbs are basically all that keeps me full. I try so hard to stick with like a 40//30/30 split, but I naturally fall to more like 60/20/20.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    People are different. Some carbs (tubers, legumes, vegetables and fruit) are satiating to me, whereas others (grains) aren't. Protein is. Fats aren't.

Just figure out what works for you and ignore what others claim. Anyone who thinks they can say for sure what someone else will find satiating is misinformed.

I'm like lemurcat. Except some grains are satiating to me (popcorn is very filling) and others aren't (rice, oats... unless combined with protein).

Fats don't fill me up at all, and I tend to eat the bare minimum so that I have calories for the other macros that do fill me up.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Overall, work by Susannah Holt on satiety really shows that, apart from protein having a sating effect, there is no clear correlation between carbs or fats and satiety - some high-carb foods are very sating, others very poorly sating, and likewise for fats.

A lot of it actually depends on things like protein, fiber, and overall calorie density of food, with palatability also playing a key role. Satiety isn't a simple function of macronutrient content. It also seems to be very variable across individuals.

I think in regards to the low carb = higher satiety, some of that is also likely placebo effect caused by exposure to that idea, which is something most of us have heard before. If you believe a particular food is going to be sating (or not sating), the act of believing will change your perception of your own satiety, at least to a degree.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Overall, work by Susannah Holt on satiety really shows that, apart from protein having a sating effect, there is no clear correlation between carbs or fats and satiety - some high-carb foods are very sating, others very poorly sating, and likewise for fats.

A lot of it actually depends on things like protein, fiber, and overall calorie density of food, with palatability also playing a key role. Satiety isn't a simple function of macronutrient content. It also seems to be very variable across individuals.

I think in regards to the low carb = higher satiety, some of that is also likely placebo effect caused by exposure to that idea, which is something most of us have heard before. If you believe a particular food is going to be sating (or not sating), the act of believing will change your perception of your own satiety, at least to a degree.

yea protien level does nothing for me. if i have a chicken breast with broccoli i will 20% feel satisfied. Add mashed potatoes or rice and im happy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Pancakes are not just carbs though... they have some fat and protein too. So they would keep you fuller than, let's say, white toast and jelly. Oatmeal has fiber too so it's by nature more filling.

But yeah, I'm fuller on toast with nut butter than eggs and bacon, typically... but it does have some fat and protein too. If I only had one serving of plain quick oats cooked in water for breakfast I'd still be hungry after.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »

yea protien level does nothing for me. if i have a chicken breast with broccoli i will 20% feel satisfied. Add mashed potatoes or rice and im happy.

I'm sort of this way, too. If I have bacon and eggs for breakfast, for instance, it doesn't always get me through until lunch. If I add potatoes or pancakes with it, though, some days I won't be hungry again until almost dinnertime.
    Pancakes are weirdly satiating for me, anyway, though. Even if it's just 2 pancakes with syrup and no butter, I stay full for quite awhile.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you look at actual satiety studies you will find that this is actually the norm...

I find that carbs like lentils, legumes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, oats, etc are very satiating...
  • KrazyKrissyy
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you look at actual satiety studies you will find that this is actually the norm...

I find that carbs like lentils, legumes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, oats, etc are very satiating...

Really? I would've never guessed this would be the norm especially with all the low carb hype I see online. Do you have any links? I'm interested in reading :)
  • KrazyKrissyy
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Pancakes are not just carbs though... they have some fat and protein too. So they would keep you fuller than, let's say, white toast and jelly. Oatmeal has fiber too so it's by nature more filling.

But yeah, I'm fuller on toast with nut butter than eggs and bacon, typically... but it does have some fat and protein too. If I only had one serving of plain quick oats cooked in water for breakfast I'd still be hungry after.

True with general/basic pancakes. I personally make my own though (lowfat). Ingredients are rice flour, egg whites, cashew milk, vanilla extract (sometimes a mashed banana), and topped with pure maple syrup (although I've been searching everywhere for Walden Farms brand lol).