Almond milk drinkers

Options
So my son's pediatrician wants him off dairy for a little bit and so we bought him some almond milk to have with his cereal. There are some birthdays and thanksgiving (canada) coming up and I was wondering if almond milk is a suitable substitution for milk in stuff like dessert's (cakes, muffins, icing etc) and for bread/bun recipes that call for milk? Would I be able to use almond milk instead of milk when making a creamy soup? Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. Look up vegan baking recipes they should have a ton of deserts made with almond milk.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't know the baking answer, but almond milk is basically sugar water with a tiny amount of almonds. Have you tried cashew milk? I prefer the taste to almond milk.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    When my son was young, we used soy milk. More protein, substitutes great in most recipes.
  • raarsenault
    raarsenault Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the unsweetened original flavor (not vanilla) for something like a creamy soup. But yes, I use it to bake and cook with all the time. Almond milk is not sugar water if you go for the unsweetened varieties (unsweetened tastes better too, in my opinion, the other kind is far too sweet.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You can't just substitute it, but you can bake with it (or other substitutions). Check out paleo and vegan baking sites, as someone else mentioned.
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Your responses and suggestions are much appreciated
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    ^^^sorry I can't comment on you're question but lemme tell you why you are wrong. Lol

I use almond milk for all of my recipes, baking and other wise. Cup for cup. With absolutely no problems at all. Enjoy!

No need to be mean. I gave her an honest opinion. She might think otherwise.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is great but for creamy soups I prefer to use cashews. Soak them for at least four hours, drain and then blend with enough broth to get it reach the desired smooth and creamy consistency.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use the cashew milk (unsweetened). I don't taste the cashew at all. Almond milk is okay but I do taste the almond in it which I don't like.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    There are many recipes out there. Search for vegan recipes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't know the baking answer, but almond milk is basically sugar water with a tiny amount of almonds. Have you tried cashew milk? I prefer the taste to almond milk.

There are many almond milks on the market that don't have sugar in them. Not that cashew milk isn't great (I like it too), but almond milk isn't just sugar water.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You can make both almond milk and cashew milk at home, and you can find both (easily, IME) without added sugar, as janejellyroll mentions.

I think the taste of the nuts is a feature, not a bug, personally, which is one reason I kind of like making cashew milk at home, as the recipe I have includes all the cashews. (More calories, though, but that's okay, since with a smoothie when I use it I can usually use a little more fat.)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You can make both almond milk and cashew milk at home, and you can find both (easily, IME) without added sugar, as janejellyroll mentions.

I think the taste of the nuts is a feature, not a bug, personally, which is one reason I kind of like making cashew milk at home, as the recipe I have includes all the cashews. (More calories, though, but that's okay, since with a smoothie when I use it I can usually use a little more fat.)

I can't believe I didn't mention making milk at home -- I've just started doing this and it is awesome! Sometimes I will strain it with a nut milk bag (easily available online) or if I'm using it for smoothies, I will sometimes leave it unstrained.
  • lucy8_
    lucy8_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »

Not if you make your own, like I do. I'm on a low carb diet and I've started making all my milks, including almond, cashew and hazelnut. It's much better than the store bought option and you can't mess up the recipe.

• Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Watch out for carrageenan in almond milk as well it's terrible for you
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I would suggest getting unsweetened almond milk if you plain to cook with it. The sugar might give some foods (like soup) an odd flavor.

Personally, I think soy milk is better for cooking because it has less flavor.

I do enjoy almond milk in my cereal and coffee though. Actually, I've been buying the almond coconut blend lately because its a little thinner than regular almond milk and I like the flavor.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    The one thing I have found that Almond milk doesn't work in, is pudding mixes. The instant ones. They just won't set up. But baking with it should be fine. Just be aware that the vanilla blends generally are sweetened and milk generally is not, it might throw off the flavor a bit of some things unless you use the unsweetened versions.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

How so?
  • Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

How so?

Causes inflammation in the body lr2a7po6lyp4.jpeg