Knee pain

I weight 228lbs I can do brisk walks but when I try to jog my knees start to hurt im sure why ... all I can think is that I do need to loose more weight before i try running because it's a lot of weight for my knees any help would be great!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Do you stretch afterwards? Did you get fitted for proper running shoes?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I have had patella femoral pain syndrome since I was 14 (I was born with a foot issue, so it relates to that). I dance. I run for short bursts. I don't do regular running because it flares up the knee issues. I walk. And when I walk daily my knees improve a ton. I walk up hills. I am just careful about certain things. I have seen a lot of people on here say that their knee pain was resolved with weight loss.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    A physiotherapist could target the problem and prescribe stretches and strengthening exercises to improve things.

When I started running my knees would give out at unexpected moments when I was at rest. The tendon that stretches over the knees was too loose and sometimes my kneecap would slip. I'm better now. Lots of exercises and strengthening of the muscles around the knee helped.

A hurt knee can be so many things.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    You could just be too heavy for your knees. When I started exercising I had to modify and be careful because 220lbs is a lot of stress to put on the knees (and whole body) when doing any high impact activity.

Good shoes and slowly building up.