So my weight loss stalled?!

Options
I don't exercise, I focus strictly on my diet.

Week 1 I lost 8lbs, now I've gained back 4 in 2 days.( Does skipping meals till the evening slow your metabolism?)

I don't know why. I have been eating junk, but I manage to stay under my calories.

I'm a little confused....exercise/cardio+ diet or is it just 100%diet alone?

I have heard that exercise can prevent your diet from stalling, any advice?

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    If you've only been at this a few weeks just keep going. If you are in a deficit you will lose. Weight fluctuates so dont be discouraged if it jumps up one day. If it continues moving up for a few days in a row then re-evaluate what you're doing. I'm up 1.5lb since yesterday but I know Im eating right and trying to push myself harder with workouts so I'm not worried because I know it's probably just water.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The initial "loss" was water weight which is why you gained after eating junk. Push water. Stick to a reasonable calorie goal (0.5-1 pound per week). Exercise. Have patience. Weight loss isn't linear. You will have weeks you lose, gain and stall. Just keep going until you reach your goal.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    1 week loss of 8 pounds? Mostly water weight. Next week gain 4 pounds in two days? That's water weight too/fluctuations.

Its been less than 2 weeks... You need 4 - 6 weeks before considering a possible TRUE stall and even then if you have been 100% on point with accuracy with your calorie intake and exercise, etc.. its just slowed down.

Patience. its way too soon.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Most people will lose weight fine just concentrating on a calorie deficit. For some folks (I am one), a small deficit (250 cal a day) means I have 1350 calories and that is difficult to sustain, and so adding exercise gives me more flexibility with what I eat. Strength training while in a deficit, and adequate protein, will help minimize muscle loss (which you want to do). Stalling weight loss, assuming that food is being measured correctly, sometimes is due to lower overall activity level (non-exercise activity thermogenesis, or NEAT) which is something that happens in response to a caloric deficit. It's adaptive during famine (move less = burn less) but it can be problematic for weight loss for some folks. So adding a reasonable amount exercise in can help to mitigate that effect.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    8lb in one week is a lot of fluid loss therefore leaving your body in dehydration, so the following week your body worked at re-hydrating - which leaves you with a fluid gain.

• Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The initial weight loss is very high and a big part could be water loss.
    What kind of junk food do you eat?
    If it is high in sodium it will cause water retention.
    Did you weigh your junk food?
    Did the junk food come a restaurant?
    If you are eating out the calories on the menu can be 20% off because they don't weigh the food and use discretionary amount of fat.
    Even the food you buy in package from the shop are not necessarily the exact weight they mention.
    You need to log your food as accurately as possible to be sure you are in a deficit.
    That said fluctuations happen and you need to look at the trend after several weeks.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I lost over 7 pounds my first week, gained 1 the next, and lost 6 pounds the third. Things will even out.