Scales going the wrong way....Struggling.

Options
Have been doing great for a couple years, always have some ups and downs but now with a new job, junk food around all day its taking its toll.
I am still lifting, still riding 30-60 miles a week but weight keeps creeping back due to snacking, sugar and poor diet.
Anyone else been here and can give me some motivation or ideas on how to break the funk would appreciate the help.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You stopped logging your intake? Either step up your exercise or cut back on the calories. You need to figure out your lifelong plan. Once you reach your goal, it ain't over.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You stopped logging your intake? Either step up your exercise or cut back on the calories. You need to figure out your lifelong plan. Once you reach your goal, it ain't over.

I know you are right and I am sure my water intake is down.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Can you bring protein rich snacks with you to work and nibble on them when the sweet stuff starts tempting you? You may end up just having a salad for dinner some days, (both because you feel full and you've met your protein macro already) but better than than getting your appetite influenced by sugary treats.
  • skyhowl
    skyhowl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Try to get some delicious healthy alternative from home to work. And if you can't. Then i guess it would mean you need to get back to logging for awhile, until you settle in your new job. This way, even if you have some junk food, you will have to log it and you will have to eat a lower calorie dinner. Salad maybe.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    As a serious bicycler, you should understand the need to replace glycogen quickly after a ride, without going into calorie surplus. Local bike shops sell portable packs of glycogen gel for this purpose. Your body is a glycogen tank and your brain runs on glycogen. Your bicycling drains your glycogen tank and your brain screams for energy. The process of producing ketone bodies from fat to supply the brain is slow and your funk happens because you eat a little more than you need.

So, this becomes a suggestion that you replace some of your bicycle burn calories quickly with simple carbs. This satisfies the brains need for glycogen and allows the process of producing ketone bodies to carry on, which is the point of all the exercise anyway.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is for a year I pretty much never had sugar, just did not crave it or want it. The new job has peppermint patties in a huge bowl and those soft peppermint candies on every table. Its become a habit to just grab a few here and there and it starts the cravings.
  • Jensylkat5
    Jensylkat5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    No real tips, but following to see what others have to suggest as I'm in the same boat as you. Been doing so well; now I've got more hours at work and also started two evening courses at college - sudden loss of all motivation to cook and even tracking seems too much hassle at times. But I'm not giving up this easily, I'll keep trying one day at a time.

Hope you get back in the swing of things. It's not an easy journey, but all we can do is keep on trying. ☺ Good luck.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I would check to ensure the scale is working properly as well [though it probably is accurate].

The moment you weigh more after using the restroom in the morning than before is the moment it needs to be replaced [happened to mine this morning].
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the same as quitting smoking .. the temptation is always there .. it's hard ..

Good luck