What is going on?

Options
Hey guys. Some of you know me from the forums. I've been posting for two years. I lost weight using the app, then maintained, cut, bulked, then tried to cut again. Anyway, I understand what to do when it comes to reaching my goals.

I used to read posts in this section and think things like "come on, no one can give you motivation" and "if you're off track, just get back on". But now I'm not finding that so easy for myself.

I feel completely out of control. I'm not really stepping on the scale because I'm afraid, but looking in the mirror I can see myself gaining.

So...get back on track? Sounds easy. But I keep sabotaging myself. I feel like I NEED to eat over my calories. And even if I keep a tiny deficit, I overeat on the weekends.

I'm going through a really stressful time in my life. I mean...really stressful. So it might be wise to maintain. But I'm having trouble even doing that. It's like every time I get a little craving I just stop caring and walk to the refrigerator. Or I see a box of pretzels at work and just need to stuff them all in my face. One pint of Halo Top...why not two? Yeah.

It's even gotten to the point where I'll just stop logging mid day and saw screw it. I've never been like that before.

I don't know what the point of this is. Maybe I thought getting it off my chest and out in the open would make me take ownership.

Thank you to everyone on here who has been so supportive and helpful these past few years. I guess we all hit rough patches.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Confession is half of success. The other half is knowing that we care. What's your stressor?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Could you take a break from "dieting", I know you have been at this a long time and have done really well.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Confession is half of success. The other half is knowing that we care. What's your stressor?

I started a job at a failing charter school in the inner city. I work 6:30 am to 5 pm in a school where safety is a concern. I'm starting to feel the brunt of a breakup that was 5 months ago (super delayed response). I feel alone and scared. I'm worried I'll never have a family or kids. I miss my family. I haven't seen a good friend or had a hug from someone I love in months. I have cried every (minus about 3) since August 28.

I can't believe I admitted all that in the open.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Is changing jobs out of the question, sometimes it is not worth it if stresses you out.
  • arditarose
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Could you take a break from "dieting", I know you have been at this a long time and have done really well.

But...I have taken a break. I haven't be losing, ya know? For awhile my goal was to lose a little fat. Then as I got closer to my power lifting competition I kind of threw that out the window. But the meet was a few weeks ago and I've been out of control since.

• arditarose
    Options
    Is changing jobs out of the question, sometimes it is not worth it if stresses you out.

I don't know. I'll feel like a failure if I leave. I did have an offer for an interview elsewhere last week but I am so slow in responding, I wonder if it's too late.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    You actually just have to snap out of it otherwise before you know it you have undone all your good work.
    When I am like this I try and at least keep up with my exercise and fitbit challenges
    I am not good with bad or sad news, I find myself overeating at these times, but then as I say I just have to catch myself. I don't weigh myself very often but keep an eye on clothes fitting. That's the sure sign to jump back to it.

Hope whatever you are going through passes soon.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    You still need to lose weight? I think you look terrific!
  • arditarose
    Options
    You still need to lose weight? I think you look terrific!

Aw thank you. It's not that I NEED to lose weight. It's that I'm out of control and starting to gain. I would like to be a bit more lean, but getting myself in maintenance control would probably be the first step. Maybe I need to start with clearly defining my goal. At the moment it seems to be: lose a little fat to undo the damage I've done over the past few weeks, then maintain during this time of stress.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I don't know. I'll feel like a failure if I leave. I did have an offer for an interview elsewhere last week but I am so slow in responding, I wonder if it's too late.

Double check first thing Monday, you never know
    Your responses came through whilst I was typing
    You are going through loads at the same time, too much
    Sorry
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Double check first thing Monday, you never know
    Your responses came through whilst I was typing
    You are going through loads at the same time, too much
    Sorry

It's okay. It could always be worse :)
  • arditarose
    Options
    I just responded so the other job. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to just go have the interview.
  • gracefilledfool
    Options
    I agree with others... you are going through a lot.

I have found that hitting my goals as it relates to food intake, strength and cardiovascular work gives me a sense of control in one aspect of my life that helps me meet the uncontrolable nature in the rest of my life more easily.

I also take a grace approach. Here is what I mean... each day (hour) is a new one... whether it is the number of calories (every day starts out at zero), the success (failure) I have with my work with people, even my relationships. For example, I only check the scale every two weeks... cause it feels like a sledge hammer otherwise.

For me, it is ONE CHOICE, ONE TIME... NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS

I have also found that I can only share kindness, compassion, forgiveness and understanding if I am first open to extending it to myself and those around me.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I agree with others... you are going through a lot.

I have found that hitting my goals as it relates to food intake, strength and cardiovascular work gives me a sense of control in one aspect of my life that helps me meet the uncontrolable nature in the rest of my life more easily.

I also take a grace approach. Here is what I mean... each day (hour) is a new one... whether it is the number of calories (every day starts out at zero), the success (failure) I have with my work with people, even my relationships. For example, I only check the scale every two weeks... cause it feels like a sledge hammer otherwise.

For me, it is ONE CHOICE, ONE TIME... NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS

I have also found that I can only share kindness, compassion, forgiveness and understanding if I am first open to extending it to myself and those around me.

Thank you. I like all this. I also feel like getting my fitness and nutrition in control helps me feel more in control at work/in life.

I just can't believe that after years of this I'm just literally...so BAD at logging and staying on track at the moment.
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    This thinks about it from a different angle. Instead of improving your diet, why not try to improve your charter?
    I know that there are some charters which are doing well, and I know that there are some which are doing and have done poorly. Can you take the bull by the horns and teach yours to do well by advocating for implementation of best practices in your industry?

In what way is safety a concern? You have access, probably, to lawful carry of concealed firearms as well as the training opportunities to safely and confidently carry a concealed equalizer. You also have access to excellent training in unarmed self defense. Start with something, then continue with something more.
  • arditarose
    Options
    This thinks about it from a different angle. Instead of improving your diet, why not try to improve your charter?
    I know that there are some charters which are doing well, and I know that there are some which are doing and have done poorly. Can you take the bull by the horns and teach yours to do well by advocating for implementation of best practices in your industry?

In what way is safety a concern? You have access, probably, to lawful carry of concealed firearms as well as the training opportunities to safely and confidently carry a concealed equalizer. You also have access to excellent training in unarmed self defense. Start with something, then continue with something more.

Yes...but the first step is getting through each class and maintaining a safe classroom. I can't walk into the school and create magic.

And...I'm not carrying a firearm. ?? Sorry. Confused.
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    That's a little clearer. You're scared of some of the students. Run.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I'm a big fan of quitting when the quit improves your life. There's a Freakonomics podcast about quitting that may help you feel a bit better about it:

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/new-freakonomics-radio-podcast-the-upside-of-quitting/

I don't have great advice for diet and motivation because I'm going through a similar rough patch. 2016 has been a very difficult year for me work-wise and I'm finding that when one area of my life seems out of control, I try to control diet even more. Rather than helping, it makes things worse. Stress does crazy stuff to our bodies and minds. I've had to step back on attempted fat loss in order to fix the resulting health issues. So, no great advice here but I can commiserate and tell you that you are not alone.
  • arditarose
    Options
    That's a little clearer. You're scared of some of the students. Run.

I'm not so afraid of them, but I'm afraid of them hurting each other. Though last year two teachers were injured by students. A fractured wrist after they ganged up on her in the subway and a broken arm.
  • arditarose
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Hey there. I'm a big fan of quitting when the quit improves your life. There's a Freakonomics podcast about quitting that may help you feel a bit better about it:

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/new-freakonomics-radio-podcast-the-upside-of-quitting/

I don't have great advice for diet and motivation because I'm going through a similar rough patch. 2016 has been a very difficult year for me work-wise and I'm finding that when one area of my life seems out of control, I try to control diet even more. Rather than helping, it makes things worse. Stress does crazy stuff to our bodies and minds. I've had to step back on attempted fat loss in order to fix the resulting health issues. So, no great advice here but I can commiserate and tell you that you are not alone.

Thank you. And thank you for the podcast. Maybe I can give it a listen tonight.

Are you saying that trying to control your diet even more during times of stress DOESN'T help you?