Ugh, possible stress fracture, can't run or walk

Options
Hi--I haven't been to the doctor yet (will try for appt tomorrow), but it seems I could have a stress fracture in my foot, or at least one in the making. I've lost 11lbs over the last 10 weeks through reduced calories (currently at (1500-1700 per day) and increased exercise (mostly running and walking), so I'm trying not to panic at the thought of severely reduced activity for several weeks. I can reduce my calories further, which would stink, but I guess would be better than gaining weight back. But I'm also trying to think of other ways to get a workout without further injury to my foot. I do have a desk cycle which I'm going to try out. If it hurts my foot I can try using it as an arm cycle. I don't currently have access to a gym or pool. Does anyone have any other ideas, advice or tips? Thank you!

Replies

• teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You could look up some chair fitness workouts to see if any of them might work. Or there might be some arm or core workouts on fitness blender that you could do (or adapt). It's going to be difficult to get the kind of calorie burns that you could from running, though.

Your doctor may have additional suggestions or be able to direct you to a physical therapist if needed.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You don't need to reduce calories, you just need to maintain. Keep your cals the same as when you were losing and you should be able to maintain even with reduced exercise.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You don't need to reduce calories, you just need to maintain. Keep your cals the same as when you were losing and you should be able to maintain even with reduced exercise.

That's true I guess. It's hard to think about only maintaining when my goal has been to LOSE weight, but I guess my goal needs to change temporarily.

I did go to the dr today and it's not a stress fracture but peroneal tendonitis. The tendon attaches at the 5th metatarsal, right where I thought there might be a fracture. It still means at least a couple of weeks of "rest", but maybe not a lot more?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

That's true I guess. It's hard to think about only maintaining when my goal has been to LOSE weight, but I guess my goal needs to change temporarily.

I did go to the dr today and it's not a stress fracture but peroneal tendonitis. The tendon attaches at the 5th metatarsal, right where I thought there might be a fracture. It still means at least a couple of weeks of "rest", but maybe not a lot more?

What is meant is that you stay at your calorie deficit to maintain that deficit, not maintain your weight.

Find alternate ways to cross train such elliptical, exercise bike, even some strength training (perhaps body weight training), anything that you find that is low impact.
  • lightenup2016
    Options
    I just feel like such a sloth not exercising (or not doing my normal modes of exercise). And I'm sure my NEAT calorie burn is lower as well, due to not being able to get around as well. I'm trying to take this as a learning opportunity, since I I know life happens, and I won't always be able to workout or eat under my goal calories. But...ugh!!
  • lightenup2016
    Options
    OP here, just wanted to update. It's been a week, I reduced my exercise by about 200 calories while also reducing my calorie intake by 200. I've lost 2 lbs! I'm sure it's mostly water weight, but it's nice to see it gone. And it really shows that exercise can make you retain water! Anyway, my foot is feeling a lot better, so I will soon slowly begin resuming my workouts.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Did biking work for you?
  • lightenup2016
    Options
    Yes! It didn't hurt my foot. I did a little each day on the stationary bike, and today I did an hour bike ride outside.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Great news. If you can bike for an hour you can do many drills. You can do some hills on your bike, some sprinting, as well as a variety of outdoor rides at different paces. have fun with it!