Carbs

Options
khanchett08
khanchett08 Posts: 4 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I'm struggling to find foods that are low in carbs and sugars. Today was a bad day for me.I went over in both. I made the mistake of going out of town with my family to the zoo and we ate at burger king. I'm also struggling to stop drinking soda. I've cut it down to one or two a day, but I want to cut down to none. Any tips? I'm fairly new to all of this and want to lose 47 pounds eventually. I'm now a the beginning of the obese part on NY drs bmi chart. I'm 28, 5'4", and roughly 185lbs.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    its ok to go over carbs and sugar if you dont have any health issues with these things and you dont you have to watch your intake of these macros, as long as you are at or a little under your calorie goal you wont gain weight. you dont have to cut out soda unless you want to. you can make it fit into your calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking diet sodas? If not switch to them

Are you trying to follow a low carb diet to hit your calorie defecit? Do you enjoy it or find it easy to stick to? If not just don't do it...low carb only works because some people can stick to it...the initial loss is mainly water through glycogen depletion

If it does suit you then there's a low carb group here that can give you advice
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    have you tried those sparkling water things with flavour?

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I cut out soda years ago (I hate the taste of diet so I couldn't simply switch). I replaced it with water, unsweetened iced tea, or coffee with just half and half or cream, no sugar. Eating at burger places and staying low carb is simple - order your burger without the bun, and swap the fries for a side salad.

That said, you don't necessarily need to eat low carb to lose weight. Personally I find it much easier, as carbs fuel my appetite (to say the least), but simply staying in a calorie deficit is all that is needed. You can continue to drink regular soda, even, so long as you can work it in. If you really do want to do low carb, there is no trick other than to just do it. There are plenty of low carb options, even while dining out! If you are serious about it, I second the suggestion to go over to the low carb forum. Lots of helpful advice.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    If you really want to give up sugar and go low carb, I would suggest that you do one or the other first for a while so that your body can adjust to it. Since you've already started cutting pop (yes, I call it pop), then continue working on that. By the way, good for you for the progress you've already made in that regard!

As for low carb, make sure you're getting enough protein and fats into your diet. It will take some time to get used to, but like the others said, the forum is helpful.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    A lot of things that I used to put on sandwiches I now put on a bed of fresh spinach. Roasted chicken breast, ham, tuna salad, egg salad. I mix in some other veggies (celery tops, grated carrot, diced tomato, cucumber, squash) for variety. I also try to stick to lower-sugar fruits like berries for snacks and sweet treats.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Meat, seafood, full fat dairy, nuts and seeds, eggs, coconut, and most veggies are low in carbs in sugar.

To lower carbs cut back or eliminate:
    Sugars and sugar substitutes
    Refined grain products (baking, noodles, reasy to eat meals)
    Whole grains (corn, rice, oats, quinoa, etc)
    High GI fruits - usally tropical (bananas, mango, figs, dates)
    Starchy root vegetables (potatoes, carrots, turnips, onions)

• rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Definitely work to get rid of the soda. I drink my water with crystal light or Nesfruta in it. No calories and I keep it with me all day. I also drink decaffeinated tea with milk. If you can try to limit your soda further - maybe just a couple of times per week, I think you will see a difference.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So I'm struggling to find foods that are low in carbs and sugars. Today was a bad day for me.I went over in both. I made the mistake of going out of town with my family to the zoo and we ate at burger king. I'm also struggling to stop drinking soda. I've cut it down to one or two a day, but I want to cut down to none. Any tips? I'm fairly new to all of this and want to lose 47 pounds eventually. I'm now a the beginning of the obese part on NY drs bmi chart. I'm 28, 5'4", and roughly 185lbs.

is there a reason you chose low carb?