I Wanna Go Back to Philmont

Options
I am a 50 year old Scout Leader.

I am committed to going to (back) Philmont Scout Ranch in July 2017.

It is my happy place. Backpacking in the New Mexico Mountains.
Taking my kids this time (and 6 other Scouts).

They use a 50+ year old USDA height/weight chart for adults (at least it isn't BMI)
Don't meet their standard?
Stay home.

I gotta weigh 230 by 1 July 2017 or No Go.
25 lbs down, 45 to go.

Everyone says "Don't watch the scale" and "Don't watch the calendar."
Unfortunately, I have to watch both. Closely.
No time for plateaus, no time for glitches or hiccups.

Ideas? Thoughts? Tips for time crunched weight loss?

I posted this in the introduce yourself thread. I don't think anyone read it.

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You have 9 months to lose the 45 pounds. 5 pounds a month, or a bit more that an pound a week is reasonable Have you taken a look at your current calorie intake? You will need to have about a 500 calorie/day deficiet to get there (comibintation of less food and/or more exercise?

Are you active at work and/or do you workout?
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Your timeframe doesn't seem too bad...40 weeks, 45 pounds, and the top of their weight chart is pretty generous (around the top end of overweight if I was looking at it correctly), so it should be a very doable project if you stick with your calories and start at 1.5-2 pounds a week for loss (reducing this as you get closer to goal).

Yours is a much more realistic timeframe than many I've seen on MFP that are of the "I need to lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks!" variety.

You may want to set fitness goals at the same time to keep it interesting, and since your end goal is a strenuous hiking experience.

Good luck!!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    You got this!
  • grammageegee
    grammageegee Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club. My goal is about the same, 47 more pounds by 7-4-17. I am serving a service mission in Tennessee, away from family and friends until next July. Really want to go home fit and trim. 10 lbs. Down since July 1st. Weighing my food, logging everything and hitting the gym 4 or 5 mornings a week is a challenge, but one I am up for. We can do this!
  • jamcdonel
    jamcdonel Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yes. Closely watching the intake, and logging. Hitting about 400-600 kCal deficit most days. Walking 45-60 min about 4 days a week and hitting the weights about 2x per week. My walking buddy (the 4 footed kind) has doubled her food intake due to all the exercise! I'm currently losing 1.5-2lbs per week.

I'm doing well, and I've gotten really fit before (Ironman Triathlon in 2006). I just can't shake the feeling that I am missing something, and the whole "weight by date" thing is messing with my brain. Yes their weight chart is somewhat generous, but they want me to weigh 185. Not gonna happen. The day I did Ironman I weighed 210.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Just trying to wrap my head around it.

Jim
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    I believe in you! What a great goal!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    Your goal is totally doable and realistic. You should be able to reach it in a healthy way. If you haven't already got a food scale then get one. Weighing your food will insure that you are eating what you think you are. You can do this!
  • law102189
    law102189 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am a 50 yo female and l have lost just shy of 45 lbs since January 4. Stick to your calorie goal and exercise several times a week and you should have no problem with this. It isn't always fun or easy, but visualize yourself at your end goal on your trip in July when you feel frustrated or weak. It really is mind over matter and you can train your mind to be the most powerful weight loss tool there is. I'm a work in progress still, but am determined to stick with it this time. Good luck. Don't forget to post pictures from your trip next year.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a 51 year old woman and I went to Philmont this past summer with my son and four other Scouts. I can see why it is your happy place but I can tell you that it was HARD. I obviously never went as a Scout but there were very few adults there who didn't find it challenging. Focus on the "training" aspect of your weight loss journey. I'd recommend walking with a weighted vest or filling up a backpack with heavy things. I'm sure you can manage the weight loss part and I guarantee that it will make your trek easier and more enjoyable! Good luck!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    Hi! I'm a 51 year old woman and I went to Philmont this past summer with my son and four other Scouts. I can see why it is your happy place but I can tell you that it was HARD. I obviously never went as a Scout but there were very few adults there who didn't find it challenging. Focus on the "training" aspect of your weight loss journey. I'd recommend walking with a weighted vest or filling up a backpack with heavy things. I'm sure you can manage the weight loss part and I guarantee that it will make your trek easier and more enjoyable! Good luck!

I was thinking of you when I read this, i'm glad you chimed in!!
  • jamcdonel
    Options
    I've been twice before. In 1996 and 2000, but always with someone else's kids. This time I am taking mine. I used to sing my son to sleep with the Philmont Hymn!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    A: totally doable!
    B: what a great goal!

Add me if you'd like, I'm at goal, but love yours!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Report date to Philmont July 4 2017.

Started January 2014 and have lost around 140 pounds.

The trek planning started a year ago. I have to lose at least another 60. I started without any time goals and now the time goal is messing me up. As my activity level increases I'm struggling to keep the calories down.

So I'm going out there even if I spend the week at the training center. And I've decided I am not going to worry about it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Going to the Boundary Waters one year, and Philmont the next, was a great motivator to me to get the weight off and keep it off. The good news is if you train correctly you should be able to get in plenty of good hard exercise.

My oldest son worked in the kitchen this past summer and got to go into the backcountry on his days off. I was more than a little jealous. He now wears his staff had and shirt with pride.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Going to Philmont is one of my goals too! I wasn't much above the max weight for my height when I started on MFP but I know that the less I weigh the easier it will be to hike.

As long as you stay focused you should be able to reach your goal. Your weight loss will start to slow some the closer you get to a healthy weight but since you say you're currently losing 1.5 to 2 lbs a week your goal still sounds completely realistic.
  • allenpriest
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just ordered a new backpack.
    I still have 55 pounds to lose after losing 140+. It's going to be really hard but my activity level keeps increasing.

I'm starting to take my daily walk with additional weight and then take the longer weekend hike with the pack as well. The weekend hikes are now in the woods and up and down. My walks have a little elevation change but the route is all pavement and sidewalks.
  • jamcdonel
    Options
    I haven't started with a weighted pack yet. Last time I put 50 pounds of cat litter in my pack. It has about the right weight distribution. Just don't use your new pack! The cat litter makes it a "smellable" and therefore bear bait. Use your old pack for cat litter. Water softener salt works well also, and doesn't smell!

My crew has a 20 mile day hike to finish up hiking MB in two weeks! That ought to burn some calories. Bring on the pizza and wings!
  • jamcdonel
    Options
    Our arrival date is July 21. We are going to Philmont at the same time as National Jamboree, which is only about an hour from here. Going by Amtrak.
  • allenpriest
    Options
    We'll have to drive four hours to the closest train station but plan to do that and take Amtrak as well. I went there to a training conference in 2015 snd took the train from Chicago. Going there would allow us to stay on one train. But the drive is longer.
  • allenpriest
    Options
    I'm working hard on walking. Adding distance each week. Starting to add weight in the pack. I'm losing inches still but not losing weight quickly enough to hit the target by July.
    On the positive note many more folks are noticing the loss. And they should as I approach 150 pounds gone. 50 still to go!