Hunger stopping sleep

Options
Hi, im starting again after a time away. Trouble is even on a reasonable deficit i get so hungry at night in bed i just cant sleep. What do you do to stop the hunger?

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I eat before bed every night.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ^This. Save some calories for a snack right before bed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your age/height/weight/gender/goal or deficit not much we say with be all that meaningful other than: save some calories.

But good luck!
  • Bbiwbkacq
    Bbiwbkacq Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I drink Sleepytime Tea or Valerian tea. Relaxes me and I sleep better. I don't add any sweetener to it.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If you're worried that eating before bed will make you gain weight or not lose, don't worry about that. Your body doesn't care when you eat, just how many calories you eat over time. Save some from your allowance and have a snack with some protein before bed. You'll sleep better.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat a small breakfast and more of my calories later in the day. I save calories for an evening snack. I try to get enough protein. I drink water. I eat some of my exercise calories if I exercised. If I am truly so hungry I could not sleep then I would eat something.

You didn't provide much information and your diary isn't public so it is hard to say what might help you.
    You say you have a reasonable deficit- how much do you have to lose and what is your deficit? Are you eating some of your exercise calories if you exercise? What and how do you eat and drink throughout the day?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I eat before bed, wait.. I eat in bed watching TV before lights out.. I am convinced that my little night time snack help me sleep better.. I make room for this little snack each night.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Try prelogging your day. That will help you find room for calories to have before you go to bed. I even prelog my nighttime "yogurt parfait" of strawberries, dannon light and fit greek yogurt, and fiber one cereal. Comes out to just over 200 cals, and leaves me super satisfied before beddy bye! :)
  • striving118
    striving118 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses, i do eat super late, dinner about 8pm with pudding at 10pm. Will try pre-logging because then it will be like "ok im done no room for indecision as to hunger at night, should shouldn't i eat". Even when taking 2 valarian tablets and having a bedtime snack i wake up hungry. Maybe its just a case of re-setting my body clock, i.e. im used to eating at night ane making up for it by starving during the day. By reasonabe deficit i mean i eat 1380 calories for a 5'7" woman who walks 4 miles per day and cycles/runs/hikes during the weekend but does not go to the gym e.t.c
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    By reasonabe deficit i mean i eat 1380 calories for a 5'7" woman who walks 4 miles per day and cycles/runs/hikes during the weekend but does not go to the gym e.t.c
    That sounds like a pretty extreme deficit, unless you're already really light. What is your current weight?

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses, i do eat super late, dinner about 8pm with pudding at 10pm. Will try pre-logging because then it will be like "ok im done no room for indecision as to hunger at night, should shouldn't i eat". Even when taking 2 valarian tablets and having a bedtime snack i wake up hungry. Maybe its just a case of re-setting my body clock, i.e. im used to eating at night ane making up for it by starving during the day. By reasonabe deficit i mean i eat 1380 calories for a 5'7" woman who walks 4 miles per day and cycles/runs/hikes during the weekend but does not go to the gym e.t.c

Yah. That's a gigantic deficit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks for your responses, i do eat super late, dinner about 8pm with pudding at 10pm. Will try pre-logging because then it will be like "ok im done no room for indecision as to hunger at night, should shouldn't i eat". Even when taking 2 valarian tablets and having a bedtime snack i wake up hungry. Maybe its just a case of re-setting my body clock, i.e. im used to eating at night ane making up for it by starving during the day. By reasonable deficit i mean i eat 1380 calories for a 5'7" woman who walks 4 miles per day and cycles/runs/hikes during the weekend but does not go to the gym e.t.c

I'm a half inch shorter than you, 23 years older, and that little calories would create an overly aggressive deficit for me.

What percentage of the calories you earned from walking, etc., do you eat back?

How much weight do you need to reach your goal and what is your weekly weight loss set to?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The only time I lay awake hungry was when directly after stomach surgery and I couldn't make my minimum calories that day.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have casein custard before bed.. so delish and slow digesting
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's not much of a deficit. You probably are super hungry at night and that's stopping your sleep. Set your diary to lose only .5 pounds a week and feel fuller.