Too Much Exercise and Too Few Carbs...

Options
theGarinator
theGarinator Posts: 58 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi! I have about 70lbs to lose and just turning 64, Type2 diabetic (well controlled). I've lost 10lbs so far but my weight swings 3 -4lbs either way, no net decrease yet. Being an endormorph my physique is heavy set, heavy muscle and bone. I am exercising a lot, it seems as I am racking up the carb credits but can't fulfill them with my meals and I'm getting used to the MFP base calculation of 1700 calories. I just don't feel like eating more than I am. I haven't eaten a slice of bread in over a week, though I've been eating single servings (~2 cups) of pasta. I'm afraid my BMR is going to drop and I shouldn't be exercising more than I am. Some days I get a 1200 calorie credit, (as per my Garmin HRM-GPS) There is NO WAY i'm going to start eating pizza and fries again, I find the thought of it almost nauseating. I'm concerned I'm not going to want to eat and will keep exercising too much. I don't have the kind of budget to be eating lots of red meat though I do eat a lot of eggs. (sorry for the run-on sentences.) Thoughts or direction appreciated.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have you read the stickies at the top of these boards, like this one?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

You can do this!
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'd advise reducing your calorie consumption and the exercise. You'll never keep it up!
    Certainly don't eat back the exercise calories - they are over estimates.
    Concentrate on eating a balanced diet!
    Good luck.
  • Bojemoy
    Bojemoy Posts: 12 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    2 words:

Calorie Deficit

Not sure if being a diabetic predisposes you to any complication, i would definitely ask a physician first.
    I've lost 15lbs in less than 9wks- If it's plain weight loss, a calorie is a calorie. Figure out your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) - that is the amount of calories your body burns everyday to maintain your weight.
    Now eat only 80-85% of that TDEE, and you will be well on your way to weight loss. Worry about MACROS (carbs/protein/fat) later... when logging your calories become routine, you can adjust the rest accordingly.

Bigger, Leaner, Stronger by Mike Matthews
    You wont believe how a $14 book can make so much difference in your life.

Also, i found that syncing my fitbit or activity tracker to MFP just confused me regarding my daily caloric intake. When you calculate your TDEE, your regular activities should already be included in it.

Goodluck!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Your BMR is gonna drop naturally when you lose weight only (get smaller in size) or by eating too little and for longer periods of time. There is a larger explanation of what happens but for the time being... If MFP has given you 1700 calories to lose weight, eat that number everyday. No more and certainly not less than that. If you have to add in a calorie dense food to reach your goal (i.e. peanut butter, avocado, nuts, serving of ice cream, etc.) you can. It does not have to be pizza, etc.

I think that you are over thinking the process a bit. Just hit your calorie goal, scale back on the exercise unless you plan to eat back a portion of those exercise calories.

You are likely to suffer burnout, suffer unwanted side effects if you attempt to under eat and over exercise. You might feel fine now, but it will catch up to you sooner rather than later.

edited to add: macros or counting carbs are not important right now. just hitting your calorie goal. And while you are attempting to work on hitting the calorie goal, you can work on what you like to eat and want to eat that perhaps give you the best energy balance as possible. the foods that make you FEEL the best.
  • theGarinator
    Options
    Thanks, EVERYONE for the feedback. I never eat more calories than what MFP calculates. I'm logging on MFP 46 days straight. I know something good is happening because everything I wear is getting looser. I can really tell doing my kettlebell cardio routing (~30 min.) as I have much better reach and range of movement. After my morning run today and a doze after breakfast, my weight went down 2lbs and my jogging pace has improved. Right, RoxieDawn, I'm over processing. Watching too many youtube videos on fat metabolism. Bojemoy, right, I don't obsess over macros. I concentrate only on watching my calories. QueenLiz, check, I went and read the stickies you suggested. Thanks again, all, for the great feedback......!
  • theGarinator
    Options
    oldnevada wrote: »
    Hi! I have about 70lbs to lose and just turning 64, Type2 diabetic (well controlled). I've lost 10lbs so far but my weight swings 3 -4lbs either way, no net decrease yet. Being an endormorph my physique is heavy set, heavy muscle and bone. I am exercising a lot, it seems as I am racking up the carb credits but can't fulfill them with my meals and I'm getting used to the MFP base calculation of 1700 calories. I just don't feel like eating more than I am. I haven't eaten a slice of bread in over a week, though I've been eating single servings (~2 cups) of pasta. I'm afraid my BMR is going to drop and I shouldn't be exercising more than I am. Some days I get a 1200 calorie credit, (as per my Garmin HRM-GPS) There is NO WAY i'm going to start eating pizza and fries again, I find the thought of it almost nauseating. I'm concerned I'm not going to want to eat and will keep exercising too much. I don't have the kind of budget to be eating lots of red meat though I do eat a lot of eggs. (sorry for the run-on sentences.) Thoughts or direction appreciated.

.... sorry, read: "calorie credits"
  • theGarinator
    Options
    wally2wiki wrote: »
    You should focus on calories alone- forget about counting carbs. I lost 8lbs my first week on mfp by eating more carbs and just focusing on calories; and this was way more progress than my low carb diet.

Junk food doesn't matter either, calories in versus calories out. Have you heard about the famous twinkie diet? It works!

My error, I meant, 'calorie credits'
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    If you need some quick healthy relatively inexpensive calories for when your deficit gets too huge, nuts or nut butters are good ways to get a bunch of calories without a bunch of bulk (and won't mess up your diabetes control). Also, avocados (if you live somewhere with them) or cheese.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    maybe you do want to investigate LC or even a ketogenic diet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I'm a little reluctant to offer dietary advice to a Type 2 diabetic, but what about adding carbs from foods like potatoes?

Or ask your doctor for a referral to a dietitian.
  • theGarinator
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    maybe you do want to investigate LC or even a ketogenic diet.

Interesting that you mention ketogenic nutrition. I'm just watching a nutritionist on this. Thanks lodro!
  • theGarinator
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm a little reluctant to offer dietary advice to a Type 2 diabetic, but what about adding carbs from foods like potatoes?

Or ask your doctor for a referral to a dietitian.

Thanks, kshama2001... check! my MD sent me to a dietician when he first diagnosed me (4 years now I think.) I should call the clinic and get a current evaluation. Appreciated that!
  • theGarinator
    Options
    If you need some quick healthy relatively inexpensive calories for when your deficit gets too huge, nuts or nut butters are good ways to get a bunch of calories without a bunch of bulk (and won't mess up your diabetes control). Also, avocados (if you live somewhere with them) or cheese.

Check, SusanMFindlay, I did by a big bag of raw walnuts at the beginning of the month. I'll buy another. Most of this weight change is happening now. I'm down 8-9 lbs since I lost ten then put back on 12. I'm noticing my clothing is becoming less tight and I can get back into my old Montreal Half Marathon tech T's I got in 2008/09. I haven't been able to wear those in ages.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Not a doctor and believe there is a place in the diet for complex carbohydrates especially if active and particularly weight training performing anaerobic exercise. I have blood sugar issues as well and when actually sticking to a deficit, find sweet potatoes from white flesh to orange and purple to be great. Quantity of carbohydrate obviously matters and timing to maximize on insulin sensitivity post workout buuuuut without being nitty gritty...potatoes are a cheap and tasty source of carbs.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    a dietitian would be best and somatypes(ectomorph,mesomorph) are outdated concepts and were proven irrelevant.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    You should focus on calories alone- forget about counting carbs. I lost 8lbs my first week on mfp by eating more carbs and just focusing on calories; and this was way more progress than my low carb diet.

Junk food doesn't matter either, calories in versus calories out. Have you heard about the famous twinkie diet? It works!

He has type 2 diabetes so twinkies is the last thing that he needs and he may need to control his carbs too. Read his original post again please.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The book, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is a great introduction to low carb or ketogenic diets for those with diabetes, if you do wish to look into low carb diets. Dr Richard Bernetin also has various videos and a web site set up - good places to start.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Yes but OP has type 2 diabetes and most diabetics I know have to monitor carbs. Also, most of that 8 lbs you lost was water.