Gaining too fast?

Options
Me again - sorry! Having always struggled to gain weight, I weighed myself this morning and in less than 3 weeks since starting this programme I've gained nearly 4 kgs. Admittedly the starting point was after being weighed at hospital and their scales are probably more accurate but even so it's a lot. I'm not complaining (yet!) And have now started a strength programme but should I slow down?

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I suffer from ibd and get days when I just feel bloated and don't want to eat. Buy I'm gaining weight steadily (probably too steadily as have gained about 2.5 kgs in 3 weeks!) And don't want a setback. What's the answer? Drink calories?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2016
    Options
    How much are you eating. Also, you really need to use a consistent scale to get accurate numbers. There can be a ton of reasons why you there are differences, especially if you were in the hospital for a medical issue where you didn't eat for awhile.

edit: considering it would appear that you came out of the hospital with IBD, and there is a probably that you didn't eat while there (I assume), the huge increase in weight is probably due to replenishing glycogen stores and adding food back into your GI system.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Also, i combined your two threads since they can be answered in one.

Drink calories if you can.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Thank you! I was only in hospital as a day patient, for a regular infusion. They always weigh me and I was 51 kgs which made me realise I needed to do something before I lost any more! In fact my colitis is much improved due to the infusions but since starting them I've had no appetite.
    Mfp set me at 1980 to gain around 1lb per week but I've been consistently eating around 200-300 more. I'm happy to be gaining but was concerned at the big leap!
    I agree about consistent scales.
  • psuLemon
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thank you! I was only in hospital as a day patient, for a regular infusion. They always weigh me and I was 51 kgs which made me realise I needed to do something before I lost any more! In fact my colitis is much improved due to the infusions but since starting them I've had no appetite.
    Mfp set me at 1980 to gain around 1lb per week but I've been consistently eating around 200-300 more. I'm happy to be gaining but was concerned at the big leap!
    I agree about consistent scales.

Interesting. My wife does two infusions a week for her POTS. I would start by weighing daily (I like daily because you have more data points) and do it when you first wake up. This way, you can see the trends more accurately. It's possible, you have some rebounding going on that has been caused by your IBD or even that your surplus is a bit high. If you gain another 2 lbs each week for the next few weeks, I would taper back on your calories.

BTW, what is the weigh difference if you just used your home scale?
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    I've been using my home scales since I started this but the initial weigh in was at the hospital. I suspect a difference of around 1 kg as when I weighed myself a couple of days later I was already 1.5 higher. Even allowing for that it's quite a gain!
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Ps because 2 threads have been combined I realise I've posted conflicting info - I thought I'd gained 2.5 kgs but it's closer to 4,having weighed myself this morning.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So 8 lbs (roughly) in 3 weeks? I suspect a lot will be water weight and you should see an increase from the IV. My wife typically will see up to 5 lbs post IV.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    So 8 lbs (roughly) in 3 weeks? I suspect a lot will be water weight and you should see an increase from the IV. My wife typically will see up to 5 lbs post IV.

What type of infusion is she having? Mine is to block the formation of certain cells /proteins in the gut. Until I started upping my intake, I was actually losing - mainly because i had no appetite. Thanks for the insight - yes it could be partly that. I'll keep an eye on things
  • psuLemon
    Options

What type of infusion is she having? Mine is to block the formation of certain cells /proteins in the gut. Until I started upping my intake, I was actually losing - mainly because i had no appetite. Thanks for the insight - yes it could be partly that. I'll keep an eye on things

Hers are standard sodium chloride infusions. With her condition, she depletes electrolytes very quickly.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Are you on entyvio or remicade? I gained 20 lbs in a month when my remicade started working (I was severely underweight and 20 lbs brought me to BMI 20)
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Hers are standard sodium chloride infusions. With her condition, she depletes electrolytes very quickly.

I gain 1-2 lbs of water weight from my remicade infusions.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Interesting.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Interesting.

The medication is mixed in a small bag of fluid and they only have a small bag of saline hanging but only run it for a few minutes. I'm retaining more now that I get iv steroid, benadryl and gravel as premeds though.
  • psuLemon
    edited September 2016
    Options

Interesting.

The medication is mixed in a small bag of fluid and they only have a small bag of saline hanging but only run it for a few minutes. I'm retaining more now that I get iv steroid, benadryl and gravel as premeds though.

Wow. I believe with my wife's, they add potassium/magnesium to the mixture, but she is there for 2 hours (1L bag), and that is assuming they can easily find a vein. Otherwise, it's 2.5-3 hours.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I'm there for 3 hours too but they run it slow
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    I'm on vedolizumab - I believe it's also called entyvio. They do a saline flush as well but I don't know exactly what's in that. It takes about half an hour - quicker than Remicade. The last one I had was my 6th. I've never noticed weight gain from it before and in fact overall I've been steadily losing weight since I've been on it,though it's actually got me into remission.
    Interesting to hear that infusions have affected you all - so maybe this weight gain of mine is temporary?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm on vedolizumab - I believe it's also called entyvio. They do a saline flush as well but I don't know exactly what's in that. It takes about half an hour - quicker than Remicade. The last one I had was my 6th. I've never noticed weight gain from it before and in fact overall I've been steadily losing weight since I've been on it,though it's actually got me into remission.
    Interesting to hear that infusions have affected you all - so maybe this weight gain of mine is temporary?

Potentially. Its why i recommend tracking daily. You can track trends, especially around infusion days.
  • comptonelizabeth
    edited September 2016
    Options
    psuLemon wrote:
    Potentially. Its why i recommend tracking daily. You can track trends, especially around infusion days.

Thanks - I'll do that :smile: