LOW CALORIE, HIGH PROTEIN FOOD HELP! SHREDDERS!! 1200 calories a day!

Options
Hi, I am doing 1200 calories per day, just for this week. I've been eating at maintenance for about 6 weeks, and want to spend a week trimming after an awful weekend.

What foods do you enjoy when trying to shred? I want to keep my protein intake up, but obviously I'll have to do away with my protein shakes this week as they easily push me over 1200 cals.

I know many people don't agree with 1200 calories, I KNOW THAT. But I'm asking for help from those that have bulked and then shredded!

Thanks.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Chicken, pork, egg whites and low sugar veggies. But just doing this for a week is not going to provide substantial results.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Cod. LOTS AND LOTS of Cod. I can get around 220g of protein into 1200 calories between Cod and Chicken.
  • kricard86
    kricard86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Chicken, pork, egg whites and low sugar veggies. But just doing this for a week is not going to provide substantial results.

If I can, I will go longer. Just setting a small goal that's attainable for now.
  • psuLemon
    edited September 2016
    Options
    kricard86 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »

If I can, I will go longer. Just setting a small goal that's attainable for now.

I wouldn't necessarily go longer. I can see the purpose, especially if you had a weekend high in calories. After his week, I would bump back up to your small deficit and push hard in your workouts.
  • Jleigh225
    Jleigh225 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Like others have said chicken breast, cod, shrimp, tilapia, egg whites, lentils, fat free or low fat greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, broccoli, and spinach are all great food options for your week of tightening up after a rough weekend. We've all been there..
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    One weekend won't harm your weight. Most if not all of your gain is from water weight. I would say stick to your maintenance calories and push the water. Within a few days it should be gone.
  • kricard86
    Options
    Jleigh225 wrote: »
    Like others have said chicken breast, cod, shrimp, tilapia, egg whites, lentils, fat free or low fat greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, broccoli, and spinach are all great food options for your week of tightening up after a rough weekend. We've all been there..

That's good to know because I was so disappointed in myself! But good days still outweigh the bad, so I know I'm on the right path...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm more questioning the 1200 Calories to get shredded. How big a deficit is that for you, OP?
  • kricard86
    edited September 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I'm more questioning the 1200 Calories to get shredded. How big a deficit is that for you, OP?

It's about....800?? Maybe less, of course this is on sedentary days. When I exercise, I eat back what I burn to keep my calories at 1200 and no lower.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    People that want to get "shredded" don't typically have that big a deficit. With that big a deficit, the likelihood/percentage of muscle loss - what you absolutely don't[/t] want here - is muuuuuch higher.

Try a deficit of 200-300.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    People that want to get "shredded" don't typically have that big a deficit. With that big a deficit, the likelihood/percentage of muscle loss - what you absolutely don't[/t] want here - is muuuuuch higher.

Try a deficit of 200-300.

I saw this as a temporary thing to make up for a bad weekend. Based on her other thread, she was around 1600 (IIRC) and maintenance around 2K.