Does this happen to anyone else?

Options
Every time I work out the next day the number on the scale goes up, even if I stay in my calorie goal. This is fustrating as I've been working out to lose weight not pack it on. Also after my intense workout my hunger is hard to control. All of this is making it hard to maintain progress. Any advice?

Replies

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes. Especially when I'm expecting a loss because I've done everything right .....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing so often
  • KristinHR01
    KristinHR01 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself once a week at the same time. That's it. Of course you're going to be hungry after working out. I usually have a small snack before working out, a protein shake immediately after and my next meal planned and prepped. You should easily be able to control your hunger.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You don't make progress from one day to the next.
    Understand normal weight fluctuations now or maintenance at goal weight will be terribly stressful.

If you like weighing daily (I do) then you need to understand the difference between weight loss/gain and fat loss/gain.
  • Zarka_91
    Zarka_91 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You should only weigh yourself once a week. Our body weighs different at different times of the day. I personally find that the best time to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning after emptying your bowels. Maybe your gaining muscle? After your workout have some protein whether its a shake or a snack. Your muscles need protein as soon as possible to help them recover.
  • fitforeternity493
    Options
    It's happened to me.. The best thing I ever did was hiding the scale in my closet and stopped weighing myself everyday or even every week. I only weighed myself once a month on the same date each month and that really helped.. It's how I went from 220 to 202 in a few short months.. As well as cleaning up my diet(going natural and eating portion sizes) and just focused on walking.. I don't even go to the gym anymore. It's not to say that the gym isn't a good place to go though.. But I feel that if you're focused on losing weight (cutting fat) and you're overweight, it's better to join a group outside of the gym and get support in that way. You should eat something after you work out but do not eat processed junk or a heavy meal.

1. 1 half of or whole banana with 1 tablespoon of almond butter and 1 cup of milk or almond milk was my go to after I got done walking for a few miles.

That's my advice and experience but I don't think it works for everyone. In general though try not to fret about the number on the scale.. Just keep working out and stay within your calorie goal.. Maybe even check your weight in a month or two and you'll be surprised.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    It's water retention for muscle repair. Don't weigh yourself after workout days.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Yes, scale is constantly going up from intense workouts, but ONLY on the scale, my measurements are still dropping so I track the scale but mostly ignore it as long as the body keeps slimming...eventually the scale catches up and I'll have a several pound drop for no apparent reason.

For hunger control after intense workouts I try to make sure I get plenty of fat (avocado, coconut oil, nuts, etc), that seems to help me a lot.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Progress isn't measured in the day to day, progress is a general trend over time. Weight loss isn't a linear process either...and body weight isn't static...it's always in flux...so probably you should step away from the scale and stop weighing in so much.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself every one or two weeks
  • crissy976
    crissy976 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Don't rely on the scale to show progress. Everyone doesn't ask you how much you weigh, they actually SEE what you LOOK like. Remember that. When your clothes fit different, then you'll know your progressing! :wink:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Think about your question for a minute? Basically you are saying you work out and gain weight which you believe is fat gain on top of fat you are trying to lose.. Take a step back and realize this is not possible.

Time to understand daily fluctuations on the scale.. You are in for a long ride if you don't..