Fruit okay?? Double fiber bread- increasing fiber

Options
I love my fruit, blackberries, strawberries and blueberries. Grapefruit and oranges too. I see lots of people stay away from fruit, is it okay for me if I stay within calorie range?
I haven't been eating bread but craving it. I bought double fiber bread and it has 6 grams of fiber in one piece. I'm trying to increase my fiber- 1 cup of blackberries is 7 grams of fiber.

Thanks!!

Replies

• guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Everything is good in moderation, fruit is perfectly fine if you stay within calories and are also invaluable sources of vitamins, potassium and fiber. Keep it up! And good job working on your fiber goal, lots of people are lacking in fiber and its hard to meet at times. Awesome!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I eat bread and fruit everyday.
    Just work it into your calories. There is no reason not to eat all things in moderation.
    I have lost a lot of weight, and been maintaining for almost 3 years eating anything I want to, but keeping within my calorie budget.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of fruit. And lost over 60 pounds over the past year. So I find no problem with fruit consumption. I eat lots of veg too. Last winter a girl into nutrition told me I should restrict high glycemic fruits and veg. Like peas. I eat LOTS of green peas. They fill me..... I ignored her and still lost weight.

I used to love bread. I switched to those Sandwich Thins and in Canada to Flatouts and Foldits. They are high fibre and protein. Give me the satisfaction of bread but not all the carbs. I eat lots of hard boiled eggs, steel cut oats and Greek yogurt. That helps to curb the bread craving. Why? I dunno. But it works for me....
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I eat bread and fruit daily. I was doing the Double Fiber Natures Own 6 gr (50 calorie bread) per piece and changed that back to the 40 Calorie Natures Own 6 gr per piece, that Double Fiber bread did not agree with us for some reason..

I eat watermelon, apples, pears, cantaloupe, pineapple etc.. every day. I do watch carbs and I like having my fruit over other carbs.

I love my sandwiches and my fruit.
  • tuffgirl19
    tuffgirl19 Posts: 763 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback. I had my blackberries and a banana yesterday, and a piece of double fiber toast, among other food and logged 23 grams of fiber (thanks Guinevere) and was still under my calories by 192. Blackberries and a tangelo for breakfast this morning, yum!! Snowflake and Lynzdee, sounds like you both lost lots and ate fruit and bread. I'll have to check out flat outs. Pinkpixie, love your name, enjoy your fruit boxes. I need to get on the exercise wagon now. Y'all have a great day!
  • tuffgirl19
    Options
    Thanks Roxiedawn, I'm staying within my carbs too. 40% carbs for my macro. My double fiber bread is Arnold's brand in VA, same think in LV was Orowheat brand. Glad to hear you endorse fruit too!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Fruit is a great way to get a load of vitamins and fiber! Apples with skin, cherries, and berries (especially raspberries & blackberries) help me meet my fiber goals.
  • tuffgirl19
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Laur357, I can't find cherries anymore, maybe Whole Foods? I think blackberries may be out of season soon
  • tuffgirl19
    Options
    Radish0, which high fiber veggies do you like? I've read artichokes are good
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and still enjoy fruit! Carbs make up 30% of my macros and I stick to lower-sugar fruits (typically berries) and avoid things very high in natural sugar--but that's my own choice. I tend to go for berries naturally so this isn't much of a problem for me. I do enjoy pineapple and grapes so I just work them into my day and because I'm diabetic I try to keep those foods for the middle of the day. For some reason, fruit in the morning is terrible for my blood sugar but in the middle of the day I can handle it very well. Go figure.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    tuffgirl19 wrote: »
    I love my fruit, blackberries, strawberries and blueberries. Grapefruit and oranges too. I see lots of people stay away from fruit, is it okay for me if I stay within calorie range?
    I haven't been eating bread but craving it. I bought double fiber bread and it has 6 grams of fiber in one piece. I'm trying to increase my fiber- 1 cup of blackberries is 7 grams of fiber.

Thanks!!

Let me put it this way: you do not have to cut out any food to lose weight. You just have to eat at a calorie deficit. All things in moderation while staying within your calorie goals to lose weight. :)
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The fruit--especially the berries, is a good thing to include in your daily calorie allotment. They are good antioxidant food, which helps you on a cellular level. Good for you for increasing your fiber intake. Nice food choices.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I love fruit. I typically have 2-3 servings a day, one with breakfast and one as a "lunch dessert." I keep it pretty basic and affordable. AM is usually a Clementine or orange depending on what's on sale, and PM is usually an apple because it's crunchy and sweet. During Peach season, it's peaches, peaches, peaches.
  • Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes fruit keeps us young don't be afraid of the sugar in fruit it's not the same as normal sugar
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    When i went back and looked at the months when i was losing weight nicely, the one common denominator was fruit, lots and lots of fruit.
  • tuffgirl19
    Options
    When i went back and looked at the months when i was losing weight nicely, the one common denominator was fruit, lots and lots of fruit.

That's great to hear Christine! How much is lots of fruit, like on a daily basis? Any specific ones? Thanks!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The majority was blackberries, raspberries and pineapple with the odd banana thrown in, plus it seems i dumped chia seeds over all of them as well lol I'd say i was averaging around 300g of the first 3, and yes nearly everyday. I was having lots of stir fries packed with different veggies too pretty regularly.