Rest Days...

Options
Starting to see amazing results from strength training and running. Problem is that because I'm seeing such great results I'm leery to have full rest days. It's an addiction (strength training) that I wish I started earlier!! If I don't lift on my rest days would running or jogging 5 miles be sabatoging my rest days? I have 5% body fat left to lose and no pounds per se. Diet is clean and food journal is open. I'm just anxious not being active on my rest days.

Replies

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress! You're going to get many different answers here.

There is a lot of benefits to resting, both mental and physical. That said I rarely take one. I monitor my mood, performance, and resting heart rate closely. If it seems I need a rest day, or if life happens, I take a day off. This typically happens about once a month for me.

Purely anecdotal, but it works for me!
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I feel you on wanting to always be active and it being difficult to take a rest day...BUT...I promise you that in the end they are 100% worth it and 100% necessary. As you begin to get stronger your muscles need more rest to recover from lifting; greater fatigue is associated with worse form which is associated with higher risk of injury or overwork (tendinitis for example). Running 5 miles is not a rest day, that's a cardio day. Maybe go for a 1 or 2 mile walk instead, your body will thank you in the long run.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My rest days are not 100% rest, I still walk and do yoga, so it's a lower intensity activity level, but not a completely sedentary day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you look at any solid training protocol, rest days are scheduled in there...rest is as important to fitness and improving upon your fitness as the work is. Most of my PRs in the weight room and the bike come after rest, not while I'm grinding it out.

Keep in mind that rest doesn't mean doing nothing...and if it helps, think of it as a recovery day. I usually walk on my rest days and do yoga or I might take a recreational ride or hike with the family...I'm resting from more vigorous activity and more intense training, not activity altogether.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I try to have a rest day once a week. Having said that.. I'll mix things up and do stuff like push ups, planks, pull ups off and on that day just to keep my muscles active. Not a lot, just enough to keep the temptation away to do a full workout. During the week I do a full 4 days of the same walking/jogging/cross training workout, but on Saturdays and Sundays I drop the cross training and go for distance/endurance walking/jogging and I'll mix in a little strength training. When Winter hits, I'll add in more strength training (bump to 3 days a week) but Mondays are always my rest days even though I sneak in some stuff here and there. But I'll agree with singletrackmtbr if I see my RHR going up, or feel fatigued I'll take an extra day and not worry about it.
  • roxyyrainy123
    roxyyrainy123 Posts: 44 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @jmt08c @cwolfman13 I think walking sounds perfect!! Good playlists and light activity still equals calories burned :p
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I find running to be difficult after a heavy leg day. Yoga and walking feel much better. I save 5+ mile runs for Sunday, because my lifting days are usually m/w or m/th.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that rest doesn't mean doing nothing...and if it helps, think of it as a recovery day. I usually walk on my rest days and do yoga or I might take a recreational ride or hike with the family...I'm resting from more vigorous activity and more intense training, not activity altogether.

Rest day for me on the bike means < 100 w and < 100 bpm.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My rest days are light cardio like the other suggest. Maybe once a month I will have a day of complete rest, usually if I feel my body needs it. I am like you, am addicted and reluctant to take rest days. As long as you aren't lifitng/HIIT every day you will be ok!
  • roxyyrainy123
    roxyyrainy123 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    @jolive7 I ended up walking a couple miles and it was perfect. It warmed up my sore muscles but I wasn't anxious like I'm missing out not being in the gym. :)
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    @jolive7 I ended up walking a couple miles and it was perfect. It warmed up my sore muscles but I wasn't anxious like I'm missing out not being in the gym. :)

Awesome! A slow walk can actually be really beneficial for the lactic build up you may experience after lifting :)