Salads yes or no!

Options

Replies

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    People should make every day their salad days imo.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    My go-to almost every day for lunch (in addition to my broiled BBQ chicken) is a salad in my Big *kitten* Bowl! I keep it super-simple: lettuce, baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, 1 tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar....
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    If you like it, eat it. Just log it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's a hummus and tuna salad that I adore. It has dark greens.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I could not have lost weigh without a salad every night with my dinner. It adds a satisfying amount of bulk for low calories, and I put good stuff on them. EVOO & vinegar, various flavors, is my go to dressing. Give me the exact same meal, no salad, and I"m hungry all evening.

67388953.png

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love a big salad for lunch. I use measured olive oil and vinegar as the dressing.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Taco salad my fav.......ground turkey, cheese, organic (flavorful) tomatoes, red onions, avocado (good oil) and balsalmic vinegar. Not too many calories, flavorful and filling! I cut out the bread cause I'm trying watch how much sugar I eat. I tried a diabetic bread today...for my purposes, just fine.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I like croutons. Beyond that yuck to salads lol.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Love salads. I skip croutons (I eat low carb), but pile on cheese (a nice handful), meat, eggs or avocados, sunflower kernels, and douse the whole thing with a good deal of olive oil and balsamic vinegar or Italian dressing made with olive oil. I have no earthly clue how many calories are in my salads, but they fill me up nicely and give me a good amount of veggies, fat, and protein for very few net carbs. Big salads allow me to bulk out small portions of the carb heavy foods I sometimes serve my family (pizza, Mac n cheese, etc). If it weren't for my huge calorie laden salads I'd be stuck going hungry on pizza night :(
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I use hot sauce on my salad. Low calorie, spicy. Sometimes I use salsa but often I don't even want to waste 30 calories on that when I could have a 35 calorie wedge of laughing cow cheese in the salad instead.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    ysoto2014 wrote: »
    Kinda like coffee I feel like people say salads are great and some people say no. My favorite salad is the chicken Caesar but apparently it's horrible to eat due to the dressing. So is there a salad that is a better option? Not a picky eater I usually do a sandwich for lunch but am trying to cut the bread out.

A salad is a salad, none is good or bad. Make it to your liking, dressing on the side and use moderate amounts. In fact, just stay within your calorie goals and you will lose weight.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have a "hack" for when i'm after a Caesar but don't have the calories (I like a ton of sauce which doesn't work well for me) ... zero fat french dressing (I don't like the oil slick, but that is up to you!) ontop of lettuce, bacon etc. (I usually leave out the croutons) and then soft boil an egg - the yolk must be runny. Mix the runny yolk egg into the salad and you get a creamy "zingy" sauce. Add a little salt and pepper that (for me) satisfies the craving.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    We use a yogurt-based dressing for our Caesar salads. It tastes the same (to me) with a much lower calorie count. I've decided that a small sprinkle of bacon bits is worth the calories (for me) but croutons are not - so I take my salad out before adding the croutons for my husband and son.
  • rcktgirl05
    rcktgirl05 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I get the salad bar at my work cafeteria quite often. Spinach and romaine, with a bit of chick peas, hard boiled egg and ham for protein. Maybe a slight sprinkle of shredded cheese. For dressing I put olive oil and balsamic vinegar together in one of the tiny cups and weigh it (for tracking) before I put it on. I have gotten used to walking past the croutons/bacon bits/sunflower seed section! It's amazing how much staying power salad has when there's plenty of protein in it! I made this combo a custom meal so it's easy to log for my lunch.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Just like you have a 5 calorie cup of coffee and a 700 calorie cup of coffee drink, the calorie content of salads varies with what is added to them. If you like it and it fits neatly into your calorie allowance, I see no reason why you shouldn't have it whenever you feel like it.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I have a salad everyday for my lunch. The base is baby spinach, shredded lettuce, onion, cucumber, peppers, baby tomatos.

I vary it each day. I like to add one of the following:
    good quality ham and whole grain mustard
    Feta cheese and olives
    Roasted veg and thin sliced steak
    Chicken breast and avocado
    Chedder cheese and pickled onions
    Pork loin and avocado.

I dont like greasy veg so i just dress with vinegar and black pepper.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    Why did the lettuce blush?

Because he saw the salad dressing.

Sorry, will put away book of jokes for 5 year olds now :o
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Does it fit you calorie and/or macronutrient goals? If YES then its brilliamt, if NO then maybe not.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    That's like saying, "Is casserole good or bad?" You can build a salad to be as many or few calories as you want. I can make a 100 calorie salad with spinach, feta, and lemon juice. I can also make a 2,500 calorie salad with blue cheese and chickpeas and croutons, etc.

If you measure your ingredients, there's no reason why you can't eat salad.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    heard of the honeymoon salad? yeah, lettuce alone...