Exercise calories, again!

Options
My daily calories are currently set at 1380 per day. Up until about a month ago I was losing slowly (.75lbs per week) but steadily without exercise. I was taking a break from exercise while I focused on my diet so as not to ramp up my hunger.
I have started running 3 miles five days a week. I have been counting the calories as well, using the equation that I found on here which gives me roughly 250 to 300 extra calories per day. I have been eating them and totally enjoying having that extra buffer. My question is, I see a lot of people on here don't count their exercise calories. Is this because you're using a fit bit or the calorie burn from a machine and you do t trust it?

Honestly, I am just a little nervous with all the extra calories, that I am going to slow my progress even further.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I eat mine, exercise cals taste the best!
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    its just that exercise calories are certainly not 100% accurate so the thought is to eat back say 50% of them just to make sure you aren't over eating.
  • coffeethencardio
    coffeethencardio Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I don't eat my calories (including my exercise cals) my weight loss stops completely. I'd just monitor things closely and switch things up if your weight loss stalls. Good luck! :)
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I find my fitbit about 90-95% accurate in the burns it records.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    its just that exercise calories are certainly not 100% accurate so the thought is to eat back say 50% of them just to make sure you aren't over eating.

My Garmin under-counts my bike calories by 13 to 15 %. Cutting its total in half would only make the error grow.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I let my Garmin add my running calories and let Fitbit take some of them back. :lol:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep an eye on your progress. If you aren't losing weight as quickly as you were then simply eat fewer of the exercise calories. That comes, of course, with the caveat that you aren't trying to lose too aggressively. The rate at which you can continue to lose will keep slowing down as you approach a healthy weight. Be sure you're updating your profile every 10 pounds or so which will update your daily calorie goal to match and know that as you approach 1200 calories you'll need to choose a slower rate of loss.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories, always have. I don't use a Fitbit etc, just go off what MFP gives me. I found it to be close enough for most exercises and, on average ate back 75%.

MFP is set up so you do log your exercise and eat the calories back, but it is just using estimates. It is good to watch the scale over a few weeks and adjust the amount you eat back so you are losing at your weekly goals.

The off site TDEE calculations that a lot of people use already includes exercise calories.

Keep eating your exercise calories- you need the fuel to be happy and healthy.

Cheers, h.