hungry ALL the time? suggestions?

Options
Ok... so I'm very good at sticking to my MFP calorie counting and very rarely exceed my daily recommended calories, but I have a fairly intense weekly fitness regime with 5-6 days of the week occupied by either my trainer, running my keester off playing ball hockey, or running 5ish kms on treadmill or outside. Even with all of this logged in my food/fitness tracker I'm STILL always hungry it seems :tongue: I've tried the "drink water when you think you're hungry" trick, doesn't work...
Anyone have any other suggestions???

sigh (thinking about food...)

Kate :noway:

Replies

• JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Are you eating all you exercise calories back? Try that also eating lots of protein rich foods Hope this helps!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Without more info, all I can suggest is:

Eat more veggies since they are filling with little calories.
    Eat more in general. The prescription here doesn't work for everyone. You shouldn't be hungry all the time. If it is not hunger but boredom, try chewing gum.

Good Luck.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you eat, but try slowly increasing your protein, fiber and lowering your carbs! The more carbs you eat the more you want. Protein and fiber fill you up and sustain you longer! If you are working out hard you need the extra protein and eat atleast half your exercise calories, drink tons of water. Give your body time to adjust to the change and you will be suprised at how satisfied you will be. If I go a few days eating more carbs than protein, I stay hungry!

Good Luck!!
  • cerdmann
    cerdmann Posts: 60
    Options
    Kate - I have days like that. I think the more exercise we do the hungrier we are. I guess that's the way it's supposed to work! :ohwell: I have a very difficult time on days that I swim laps. I swim at 6:00 a.m. for over an hour without stopping. I'm starving by the time I'm finished and get to work. I have to have a bowl of oatmeal with a cup of fruit just to get through to lunch. I do make sure I eat the "lower sugar" oatmeal but it seems to fill me up like nothing else. Also, I find cheese sticks (at least 2 -- one is just not enough) help in the afternoon if I'm feeling extremely hungry. You've done a great job so far. Keep it up!
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    I eat all of my exercise calories and I find that I am especially hungry the day after strength training. Like yesterday, I wanted to eat the house down. I ate a plateful of raw veggies, some chicken breast and 24 oz of water and that got me thru the rest of the day. It is very tough! Someone suggested to me a frozen protein shake. Good luck to you!
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I find if I eat steel cut oats in the AM with some mixed nuts in it I am full for a long time. Also, remember sometimes we are hungrier at certain times of the month, so it may just be a temporary thing that will pass.
  • ridelikeagirl616
    ridelikeagirl616 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas :smile: I've never taken in to consideration WHICH days I seem to be particularly ravenous... might be post weight training days... Even wearing a heart rate monitor to determine calories burned during a weight session, I not sure how accurate that is?
    ex. yesterday my HRM read 265 calories burned after an intense 60 minutes of "legs". 265? Is that really all that needs to be replenished?
    As for "more info" regarding food... my PT recommends 130-150 grams of protein per day, which is wicked tough to accomplish! Especially without spiking the carbs too! Otherwise, I'm rather "clean" in terms of diet. Oh so complicated! :tongue:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas :smile: I've never taken in to consideration WHICH days I seem to be particularly ravenous... might be post weight training days... Even wearing a heart rate monitor to determine calories burned during a weight session, I not sure how accurate that is?
    ex. yesterday my HRM read 265 calories burned after an intense 60 minutes of "legs". 265? Is that really all that needs to be replenished?
    As for "more info" regarding food... my PT recommends 130-150 grams of protein per day, which is wicked tough to accomplish! Especially without spiking the carbs too! Otherwise, I'm rather "clean" in terms of diet. Oh so complicated! :tongue:
    Nuts can be really simple to toss in one of those small snack size baggies and toss a few in your gym bag for after workouts. Just watch the portions, that why the snack size are great, 24 raw almonds is one serving. Excellent protein and filling! 1/2 PB sandwich (or skip the bread and eat some with an apple), another one you could pack up in your bag and eat after strength training, a protein shake in a can (though you might check the labels, I don't drink them so I can't suggest certain brands that are best to drink), some swear by chocolate milk after a workout. Like Keri shared some chicken, maybe some cut up pieces from a chicken breast cooked up the night before in a baggie also in your workout bag to munch on after working out.

Yes, I know you'll have a pantry and a mini fridge going on in the gym bag! lol

That might really boost the energy level up, least it's worth trying. The veggies and such really help through out the day but I don't find them particularly helpful after a big workout especially weight training I need protein big time then! But I do prefer carbs before hand so I don't bonk.

Would love to hear back on how it works for you trying out some ideas from others here.:bigsmile:

Good luck! Sounds like you're getting some kick butt workouts in Girl :drinker:
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I agree about the protein. If I don't get enough I am starving. If you like fish try including that. Very high protein, low fat and low carb. I usually have tuna or salmon at lunch and I try to eat fish for dinner a couple of times a week. Egg whites are great too. I boil eggs and keep them in the fridge, when I start getting really hungry but am not close to meal time I have 3 or 4 egg whites, it takes the edge off.

I was shocked by how little calories I was actually burning when I got my HRM too. I was eating back all of about twice as many exercise calories until I got the monitor, now I find I having a real hunger problem because I had to adjust my calories to reflect actual burn.
  • ridelikeagirl616
    ridelikeagirl616 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas!

I've determined my problem definitely lies around weight training days. My PT works me HARD (not that I would want anything else) and there was not enough protein in my diet to balance the butt kickings :noway:

I've brought my protein intake up and it does seem to help... Having the whole can of tuna for lunch instead of half, eating the fat free greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt (20 grams protein per serving! but more $$$), already an egg white addict, so not much room to change that... Still thinking about food all the time, but getting used to dealing with it.

The idea to have little healthy high-protein snacks in the fridge was great! Makes the temptation to scarf down a whole box of cereal easier to ignore :tongue:

Hope everyone is doing well... If you live in southern Ontario I hope you are surviving the heat!!
    :flowerforyou:
    Kate