Help ! I got adult braces and I'm losing too much weight

Options
Hello ! I just got 6 month smiles braces two weeks ago and I am still not used to it and I'm unable to chew right ! Due to that I've been losing weight And I cannot afford to lose anymore weight I now weigh 96 lbs and it's making me so upset that I got braces ! Does anyone have any tips on what I can eat or do so I don't lose anymore weight?!!! Please and thank you :/<3

Replies

• lauractemple85
    lauractemple85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Anything high in natural fats, like avocado and nuts- those would be the easiest and healthiest way to eat more calories.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes like Ensure, avocado, scrambled egg with melted cheese, ice cream....
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs. That what I always ate.
    If you really want something calorie-laden: chocolate pudding and/or ice cream
    Don't worry. Your teeth should only be sore for 4-5 days. They will be sore again when you go in and have them tightened, but it gets better. The soreness lasts less and less.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    milkshakes
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, smoothies, anything with a straw

Chocolate

Soups

Mash potato with butter and cream

Slow cooked casseroles

• malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    What a wonderful position to be in: milkshakes and smoothies galore. And stock up on healthy fats. Buy refrigerated oils like flax, krill, any healthy oil and let you brain be happy.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Smoothies, i could live off them! You can make them to suit and as many calories as you like. I've made 1000 calorie smoothies before.
  • Cynffialovesu
    Cynffialovesu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone !!! Guess liquid diets and mashed potatoes it is
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just want to say that I found your post by search because I am in the same boat! I just got braces last week and I am floored by how sore my mouth is and how hard it is to eat. Nobody warned me of this. I have lost 3 lbs this week and I am now down to 99lbs. I run a lot and I can't afford not to eat. I am used to eating a very high protein diet. I have been eating mostly rice based meals, mashed potatoes, some ground meat (but it's difficult) and smoothies. Trying to keep my protein up around 100g per day is proving to be a challenge.

And I'm sorry @malioumba but I fail to see how staring at a plate of food because you know that eating it is going to be a painful challenge is a "wonderful position to be in".
  • VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    And I'm sorry @malioumba but I fail to see how staring at a plate of food because you know that eating it is going to be a painful challenge is a "wonderful position to be in".

I think the wonderful position is the getting to have stuff like ice cream, pudding, smoothies, comfort food like mashed potatoes and pasta.
    I know when I tell people that I eat a lot of junk food (cheesecake, ice cream, donuts, etc.) to help me pack in calories, that they get jealous.

• cbusnightowl
    cbusnightowl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Ive had mine on for a little over a year and I was really sore for a couple weeks after I initially got them. Most adjustments were better... A couple were almost as bad as the first time but after a shortish time I was able to eat what I was eating before I got the braces (except the no no food list I got)