Help with macros

Options
I been doing some research in order to try to find the correct macros I need in order to lose body fat and hopefully weight and gain muscle. But there is so many different numbers I'm so confused. Can anyone help me
Figure my numbers out?

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    What's your training like? Weight loss goals? Physique goals?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by having a sustained calorie deficit. You build muscle by eating in a calorie surplus, getting sufficient protein, and weight training. If you are going to track macros, you'll want to get calories in check first, by finding the right amount, and logging accurately. There are no ideal macro split numbers, but there are ranges, and then there are opinions. The usual recommendation is 0.8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. But you have to find out what works for you. You may have to look for trade-offs, because your diet has to work in terms of weight management and fuel for exercise, as well as taste, price, work and social life, and convenience.
  • norma111107
    norma111107 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Well I'm currently doing weightlifting i would say moderate and cardio between 15-45 min everyday I want to lose body fat (I know that's better than actually just losing weight)
  • norma111107
    norma111107 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by having a sustained calorie deficit. You build muscle by eating in a calorie surplus, getting sufficient protein, and weight training. If you are going to track macros, you'll want to get calories in check first, by finding the right amount, and logging accurately. There are no ideal macro split numbers, but there are ranges, and then there are opinions. The usual recommendation is 0.8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. But you have to find out what works for you. You may have to look for trade-offs, because your diet has to work in terms of weight management and fuel for exercise, as well as taste, price, work and social life, and convenience.
    Yes I agree well right now I'm going to the gym everyday I do some weightlifting working on different body parts each day and also adding some cardio in. And that's were I also get confused because my logging is accurate but I don't know if exercise makes a difference in adding more calories it's just very confusing to me. I don't log my exercise but my food I do
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't log exercise either. I figure I set my TDEE for my activity level and I eat to that guideline. If I burn more than my canned setting so be it. My macros are set at 50/20/30 (C/P/F) this got me close to the .8 per lb guideline spoken by kommodeveran, but to the posters point make sure you have the calories piece dialed in before you migrate into Macro land or you'll drive yourself nuts. Also treat macros as a goal only don't obsess on it as its difficult to hit it daily unless you eat the same things every day. Also make sure you set your fat goals to include mono and poly's the default doesn't set those. Monitor the healthy fats as they play a larger role than most realize. if your having trouble hitting that goal on healthy add in EVOO or Avocados to help you increase them. most of all Good luck.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Macros aren't really that important, as long as you're getting 1g protein per kilo of body weight. I right now really like having around 30% of my calories to be protein and then I fill it in the remains with good carbs and fats with a focus on fats. Don't be afraid to figure out what works for you. For example I prefer eating high protein and fat except for before I work out in which case I get in around 20-40 grams of carbs in my meal/snack as that's what helps me feel my best. You might be interested in doing a body recomp which is a long process of heavy weight training without focusing on losing weight, but replacing existing fat with muscle very slowly. It takes around a year to start seeing major progress generally with this method but it's sustainable
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Well I'm currently doing weightlifting i would say moderate and cardio between 15-45 min everyday I want to lose body fat (I know that's better than actually just losing weight)

So then to help support your strength training and to help retain muscle mass, you want to aim for .8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of your goal weight.

For optimal health (joint health, brain function, vitamin absorption, hormone production, etc.) you want to aim for .35-.42 grams of fat (mostly unsaturated) per pound of lean bodyweight (total current weight minus current body fat).

Multiply the grams of protein by four (4 calories in a gram of protein) and the grams of fat by nine (9 calories in a gram of fat) and subtract these from your total calorie goal.
    The calories left are for carbs (at 4 calories per gram) or for extra protein and/or fat (your preference).