Fitbit worth it?

Hi I am thinking of whether getting a Fitbit would be worth my money. I do quite a lot of running (10km-15km) two to three times a week. Losing some weight would be nice if Fitbit helps motivate a person to move more. Anyone currently using it and any good Fitbit to recommend?

Replies

• juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    edited September 2016
    I love my Fitbit
    If you surf the Fitbit site you can compare all models to see what features fit you best.
  • Sandysphat
    Sandysphat Posts: 215 Member
    I have one , and use it only for exercise. It works pretty cool, but had so much other features , it can't hurt!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Love my fitbit too. I have a Charge HR, but started out with fitbit One, then got a Force ( they no longer make this model). I have had one for 3-1/2 years.
    Motivates me to move more, so all good for me.
    To lose weight you need a calorie deficit. Eat less calories than you burn.
  • Ronin1601
    Ronin1601 Posts: 4 Member
    Fantastic tool in my opinion and swear by it - you can link it to your MFP account too. But it's a tool and only works if you do.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Yes! I own the Fitbit blaze (I love the heart rate monitor). Motivatjng myself to hit my daily step goal and earn bages, participating in step challenges with friends, and being able to monitor my nightly sleep patterns are some of the perks of owning a Fitbit.

Bed, Bath,& Beyond will send you a coupon for 20% off when you join their email list. Use that coupon to purchase your Fitbit to get the most bang for your buck.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Fitbit is for activity monitoring but if you want something for running look into a real running platform. It can be motivating for many but it sounds like you don't need that unless you are just trying to get a better handle on your caloric burn per day through activity I would say it probably won't be much help for you.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    I use the flex and it's great for monitoring activity / confirming what you've done. It's not very good at motivating - THAT needs to come from you.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    I'm a longterm Fitbit fan. Not only do I really enjoy trying to increase my numbers on a day to day or weekly basis, I also just had to deal with customer service for the first time last week. My replacement Charge HR is already on my wrist! I was really impressed--I didn't even need my receipt to get a warranty replacement.

The only thing I would caution about is maybe not getting a Charge or Charge HR. My warranty replacement was for some known defects with the band. I think this has been fixed with the Charge 2. Or, if that's out of your price range, I had a Fitbit One and a Fitbit Ultra in the past - their non-wrist trackers held up much better than my Charge HR (but that being said, I love my Charge HR...)

Sorry for sounding like a walking Fitbit commercial.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    I have an old Flex that I've been using for ages. It does motivate me. I really like to reach my goal each day. Also, my friends and I are always in little challenges you can do through the fitbit app. They're fun.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    I have the Charge HR and it suits my needs. Before this I had the Flex but I wanted something that could help me get an idea of my HR. It does help me to take more steps. On days where my activity is much lighter I find myself taking walks.

If you are looking for something to help track your running, Fitbit might or might not be the tool for you. It depends on what you want to get out of it. My goals are very simple, so Fitbit works for me.
  • bscmcse
    bscmcse Posts: 55 Member
    My goal is to loose weight and I always heard build muscle to burn more calories at rest. I was lifting 3x per week and doing cardio 2x per week and getting no where. I bought my fitbit blaze right about the time I started MFP. I started looking at calories consumed and calories burned and realized on my cardio days, I was burning twice as many calories as my lifting days. Now I do cardio 5x per week and lift 2x per week. Although I do not eat back any calories burned from exercise, I still like to track to see how well various workouts burn (i.e. intervals vs steady state cardio). With my MFP / Fitbit combo, I am down 57lbs and working hard to lose a bunch more.
  • tamms_1965
    tamms_1965 Posts: 38 Member
    My daughter got me a Charge for Christmas, which was six months into my weight loss. I'm now 15 months in and I still love it. It keeps me honest. I like it for logging calories as well as a reminder that I need to move more. I do not do any heavy duty exercise, just walking/him not and yard/garden work.
  • iamamalia
    iamamalia Posts: 21 Member
    between the HR monitor, the sleep tracker, and the silent alarms - the charge HR has become my bff. love this thing, and can't wait to get the charge2. the challenges with friends are fun, it's cool to see your resting heart rate drop as you get more fit, I love that it syncs with MFP, too. the call alerts (and text alerts on the charge2) are a useful addition, and since boyfriend and I are on different schedules the silent alarms have done wonders for us.

I've bought a fitbit chargeHR for family and friends as gifts- that's seriously how much I love it.

...I know, I sound super obsessed. but really, I've had mine well over a year and like it a lot. definitely recommended.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Absolutely worth it. Best investment for me!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2016
    kanaada wrote: »
    I do quite a lot of running (10km-15km) two to three times a week.

Get a proper GPS device then.

The FitBit GPS implementation is pretty poor. Garmin VivActive is good at the budget end of the market.
  • ShubhaBansal
    ShubhaBansal Posts: 80 Member
    Its worth it...Go for it...