Need a pep talk, and non-weight-bearing exercise ideas

Options
Hi--I'm a 5'6" female, currently at 142 lbs, and aiming to lose another 15-20 lbs. I've been going along fine, have lost about 12 lbs in the past 10 weeks by eating around 1800 calories plus increasing exercise, mostly running and walking. I had been in a bit of a stall recently, did a refeed over the weekend and lost some water weight. I really original didn't have a time goal for the weight loss, figuring I just need to make it not too difficult on myself, and sustainable. But some family is coming to visit in early November and I would really like to be another 5-7 lbs down by then.

But now as it turns out, I have an overuse injury in my foot, and need to "rest" for at least 2 weeks if not more. I'm trying to stay calm and figure out creative ways to stay active while allowing my foot to heal. I have a Desk Cycle which I can use, and doesn't really hurt my foot. I've also used it as an arm cycle, but man that's a tough workout I can't do for long! I can do some upper body strength training, but don't want to do too much of that. Any other ideas?

I'm trying to be positive and look at this as a learning opportunity, because I know that life happens and I won't always be able to workout, or eat at maintenance every single day. But it stinks to have to halt my momentum, or worse, gain some weight back, and for who knows how long?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I assume you have a small frame? http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp
    I'm your height and my family would do an intervention on me if I got into the 120s, but I have a large frame.

Why don't you want to do too much upper body strength training? You're not going to get 'bulky' in two weeks. Or two years for that matter.

What did the doctor who told you to rest recommend? Swimming and recumbent bike comes to my mind, but maybe you need to rest, period. How about gentle yoga?

I love being active and in your situation would feel frustrated, but maybe the universe is telling you to slow down for a while.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I assume you have a small frame? http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp
    I'm your height and my family would do an intervention on me if I got into the 120s, but I have a large frame.

Why don't you want to do too much upper body strength training? You're not going to get 'bulky' in two weeks. Or two years for that matter.

What did the doctor who told you to rest recommend? Swimming and recumbent bike comes to my mind, but maybe you need to rest, period. How about gentle yoga?

I love being active and in your situation would feel frustrated, but maybe the universe is telling you to slow down for a while.

Thanks for your reply! I have a small frame up top, larger on bottom. All the excess weight is rear and thighs, and I have biggish calves (both muscle and fat). I have in the past been at 118 and looked and felt great, doing half marathons with my hubby. I would like to get back into racing and feeling light when running. I'm in my 40s now, so I figure 125-130 would be okay.

Yes, I definitely overdid it with the exercise, but really it's because I use a treadmill desk for work, and I do it barefoot. Usually that's fine, but I was increasing speed, and that got to my foot.

I don't belong to a gym right now, so swimming is out. Doc said cycling is fine if it doesn't hurt. I just used my desk cycle and feel like I got a decent little workout, so I might have to rely on it quite a bit. I am doing some upper body strength exercises, but I can only do so many push-ups, and I don't know, I guess I like my upper body as it is
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I know what you are going through - I am on week 6 of a plantar fascia tear after overdoing during a very fast 2+ hour walk on concrete in minimalist shoes. I changed my activity level from lightly active to sedentary for the first 2-3 weeks, so ate fewer calories. I did a LOT of rehab stretches for my foot and a little working out with hand weights. Keeping to my calorie limit was the biggest thing - I did not gain any weight during the time off (I am at maintenance). You can do this! Start slowly when you get back to running/walking.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I know what you are going through - I am on week 6 of a plantar fascia tear after overdoing during a very fast 2+ hour walk on concrete in minimalist shoes. I changed my activity level from lightly active to sedentary for the first 2-3 weeks, so ate fewer calories. I did a LOT of rehab stretches for my foot and a little working out with hand weights. Keeping to my calorie limit was the biggest thing - I did not gain any weight during the time off (I am at maintenance). You can do this! Start slowly when you get back to running/walking.

Ouch, that sounds painful! So did you really decrease your activity level dramatically? I guess I'm feeling like not doing the exercise will really do a number on my weight--like I'm not able to trust the numbers. I did consider lowering my calories, which I still might do. I guess I'll see how this week goes. I hope your foot heals quickly! I really do feel like barefoot/minimalist is great for our feet, but it's also easy to overdo it. This is my second barefoot injury!
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Yes, the key is decreasing your calories if you have decreased activity. The numbers do work! I am back to walking a mile every day and working at my computer while standing. Before switching to barefoot shoes, I suffered from plantar fasciitis, shin splints, achilles tendinitis, you name it. This was my first barefoot injury.