Off Season Running Plan

Options
Just finished my first Half marathon (2:17:10) and am now looking for an off season training plan. Something to keep the momentum going without stressing as in a getting ready to race plan. Ultimately looking to improve on that 2:17 time, but I was beginning to feel a little burnt out near the race.

Anyone with ideas?

Thanks

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Typically in the off season I'll cut back on the running volume (run 3 x weekly instead of 4 and keep most of my runs 10km or under) and spend more time on x-training activities but I'm also changing my focus from running to triathlons (I've done Olympic distance duathlons but my swimming sucks, need to do a lot of work on that this winter....)

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    During the off season, I cut back on my base mileage to average about 60% of my peak mileage during training and I do very little or no speed work. Building and maintaining a solid cardiovascular foundation is very important for making gains in speed over the long haul. I also use this time to focus more on strength training. I lift heavier weights and do pilates to strengthen my core.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Brian and Iporter: Thanks. I'm leaning more toward Iporter's idea with the increase in lifting and core work playing a role.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You could try crossfit :D
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    You could try crossfit :D

Now that's funny.

Might look into it. My first impression might have been less than accurate.