Fav vegetable?

What are your favorite vegetables to eat raw? Cooked? How do you prepare them?

I eat quite a bit of vegetables but I'm getting bored with them lol so I'm looking for some inspiration.

Replies

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Raw - orange or yellow peppers.
    Cooked - broccoli, steamed - sometimes with a squirt of lemon, sometimes a dash of salt, usually plain.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    So hard to pick just one!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vegetables

Easier to pick what I don't like. Don't like green peppers, not particularly fond of red or yellow either. But apparently they're a fruit, so they don't count. :)

That said, there's probably about half on that list I haven't tried, so who knows.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    raw - red peppers, kohlrabi, tomatoes, green beans
    cooked - brussels sprouts (quartered, roasted with olive oil and salt), sweet potatoes (baked, topped with butter)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    green beans, steamed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't like many raw vegetables...a salad here and there is ok and I like cucumbers...other than that I like my veg cooked. I like pretty much any vegetable...usually sauteed or roasted.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Raw: carrots;
    Cooked: Brussels sprouts (my mother would ask what I did with her real son), shredded and roasted with a little salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil;

Of course, nothing beats peppers and tomatoes (fruit/vegetable/doesn't matter) and onions in a crock of chili.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    It's a toss up between carrots and green beans.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Thank YOU for using the plural :D

Raw - not counting pickles, onion and other garnish: Broccoli, cucumber, cauliflower, kohlrabi, beets, rutabaga, carrots. I also eat asparagus raw, and salads.

Not counting potatoes and sweet potatoes, legumes, canned tomatoes, onion, garlic and chili - these are my favorite cooked vegetables:
    Corn on the cob - grilled, or really just baked in the oven, with salt.
    Parsnips - oven roasted with salt/pepper, olive oil, honey, sesame seeds.
    Brussel sprouts - cut in halves and oven roasted with butter or pork drippings.
    Asparagus - boiled.
    Rutabaga - cut into 3/4 inch wide sticks and boiled. Perfect with bacon or pork chops and mashed potatoes.
    Artichoke - boiled and eaten dipped in melted butter, with ham and corn on the cob.
    Peas or green beans - I just heat them in the oven after meat/fish is done.
    Edamame, celery and mushrooms - in risotto.
    Kale or spinach - in "Trinidadian Chicken Curry with Coconut Grits & Collard Greens".
    Pasta with ricotta and peas.
    Pasta with cream cheese, ham and peas.
    Chili - I use squash, peppers, celery.
    Minestrone soup - squash, carrots.
    Spaghetti bolognese - squash, carrots/peppers, celery.
    Stir-fry - "Asian" canned vegetables, peppers.
    Vegetable soups: Carrot, pumpkin, green peas, onion+lentils, peppers, mushroom, spinach - some soups call for a starchy vegetable like celeriac or parsley root.

I also love trying and tweaking new recipes. I need a strict rotation to get through all my favorites :D
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    roasted cauliflower is my go to fall vegetable. So good.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Raw broccoli and carrots in ranch
    Raw red peppers and carrots in garlic hummus
    Sauteed spinach
    Steamed edamame with garlic, salt and pepper
    Baked broccoli with garlic, parm and light bread crumbs
    Baked brussel sprouts with lemon, black pepper and garlic
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    edited September 2016
    Raw - celery or bell peppers
    Cooked -broccoli or asparagus
    ETA: fave cooking method is sauteeing in butter or bacon grease
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    So many favorites.
    Like the others I'd say it's easier to name the few I don't like. Mustard greens being one.

My current favorites are roasted brussels sprouts, and raw or steamed broccoli.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    So many. SO MANY. I love asparagus/broccoli/cauliflower/Brussels sprouts/squash... I could wax poetic about veg for a while. Maybe I should just say that I don't particularly care for kale. But really, does anyone?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Too many to choose -- it goes with the season. At the moment I'm into brussels, collards, root vegetables, and winter squash, among many others.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    I pretty much love all vegetables. I really really love them roasted- root veggies and brussel sprouts especially. Recently, I found that roasting radishes makes them taste a lot like brussel sprouts (takes away some of the kick- which I love when they're fresh) but they're really good too. Radishes, brussel sprouts, maybe throw in a few purple potatoes and carrots for color and toss with olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper. Roast at 425 until done and mmmm.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I love sugar snap peas dipped in hummus
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Oh I love all veggies so it is hard to choose. But my absolute fave are the slightly bitter ones.
    Raw - Arugula (or rocket) in a salad
    Cooked: Rapini (or broccoli rabe) sauteed in garlic and olive oil
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    I'm really lazy so I just use birdseye steam veggies in Asian Melody and Garlic Cauliflower. I really love cauliflower, broccoli, onions. I'm also really into spaghetti squash and I'm cooking one in the oven now. Sometimes I put the cauliflower in buffalo sauce.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I love so many vegies too- I really enjoyed roasted cauliflower, steamed green beans, and fiesta corn
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Oh, I forgot lima beans! I love lima beans. With butter. So delicious.

When I was a kid I hated them so I'd swallow them whole, but now I love lima beans.