Over-all help with weight loss (Tips please?)

Options
I have struggled with my weight for years - and granted, while there are other factors, I am the main reason I have no lost much weight. I've fluctuated back and forth, always ending up completely miserable with my size. I am here now, on the message boards, hoping for some advice.

To be transparent, I am 5'9, and weigh an unhealthy 185 lbs. I carry much of my weight on my stomach. As a result, not only is my blood sugar level higher, but I also am putting pressure on my lower back, where a piece of bone in my spine is missing (it hurts.). I also have Fibromyalgia that I struggle to keep under control.

That being said, here is an overview of my day, and then I will ask some questions i'm needing advice on.

- I wake up at around 6:30, to be to work at 8:00am. I work an 8 hour day at an IT desk job, and spend the lunch with my husband at our tattoo shop that we own.
- In my morning, I generally eat something like eggs and turkey bacon, or grits (I love grits.) I'm not into weird tasting foods, since I generally enjoy more bland options (I know, i'm strange - but I also have gastric issues.) I also like a LOT of creamer in my coffee first thing in the morning, which is interesting because the rest of the day I drink it black.

- Lunch is typically a salad, which some type of meat (which I find fills me up.) I've recently made this change, since previously.. no lie.. I'd find any excuse to stop and get McDonalds or something.

- After work, on Mondays, I attend class. But the rest of the week, I go to the tattoo shop, and help out my husband. Now, it's at this point that I feel I should go to the gym (there is one in the basement of where I work), but I'm SO tired, I have no energy.

- And dinner is where it all gets messed up. We don't get home until nine - I've tried meal prepping, and I don't know... call it lack of motivation, but I haven't been too successful at it. So, of course, we stop at the local pub that we love so much, have a beer and some grub.

So here are my questions:
1. Do people find working out in the morning is better than the afternoon? As in, are you more motivated and energized?
- If you do workout in the morning, do you eat before or after?
2. For someone crazy busy such as myself, what do you find is the best way to meal prep, or to handle dinner?
3. If you have had this sort of lack of motivation, what did you do to overcome it?

I'm not looking for any rude answers, but constructive criticism I will always take.

Thank you for reading this post!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    1. I find that morning workouts are best for me because they do give me energy, they motivate me to stay on plan with food for the rest of the day, and it reduces the excuses I tend to make later in the day (I'm too tired, too busy, would rather do something else, etc).
    2. I plan my meals once a week and do my shopping the next day. I make sure to look at my schedule for the week and be realistic about what is coming up. Crockpots are great for people with long hours -- you can know that dinner is waiting for you when you get home. I also like cooking big batches of food on less busy days and chilling it (or even freezing it) in individual containers. In case life gets really crazy, I make sure to always have the makings of a simple, quick, and tasty on-plan dinner in my pantry (for me, that would be tortillas, salsa, and refried beans -- figure out what works for you).
    3. I only got motivated when I figured out WHY I wanted to lose weight. "I want to lose weight" wasn't specific motivation. "I'm worried about developing blood sugar issues" was. "I know I think I look best when I am below [x] size" was another. I need really specific motivations and I need to remind myself of them often.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am a mom to 3 kids (ages 4, 13, and 18) plus my step son who comes a couple weekends a month. He's 16. I'm 41 years old. I get up at 5:30 to be at work at 7. I get up, get myself ready and then my 4 year old. I normally get home around 5:30 to 6. We have ballgames on Mondays or Tuesdays which last until 7:30 among other activites. My husband started 2nd shift so most all housework is on me. I don't have your schedule but I do have a busy one is my point.

Here's what helps me (I'm not perfect and have slid off the wagon here and there)

1) my exercise is walking. I walk during breaks and at lunch. You don't have to be a member of a gym to get results. I, also, love playing just dance with my daughter. Find something you enjoy.
    2) Like above, I plan my meals and shop for them on weekends too. I try to make them not too complicated. Stuffed peppers, a casserole, fish tacos, etc. If you know you're going to be late, pack your dinner too. A turkey wrap or something.
    3) Motivation comes and goes. Discipline keeps me going.

good luck!
  • toni5363
    toni5363 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Danielle, the question is, are you truly ready to lose weight, or do you truly want to lose weight? I had to ask myself the same question this past weekend. I went to the store to buy an outfit, and couldn't fit into the size I thought I wore, and when I actually looked at myself in the mirror I knew then I had to do something, because I did not like what I saw. In order to lose weight one has to make a life style change, and diets doesn't work long term. We have to do something different, because what we are doing now clearly isn't working. What I mean by life style change is eating healthy, drink plenty of water, and yes the dreaded word exercising (well for me it's the dreaded word). The older I get the more I don't want to exercise. So, if you're not doing those things It's going to be hard to lose the weight.
    The answer to question #1. That really depends on you. I'm not a morning person, so I workout in the afternoon. We have a gym at my work, so I will be hitting the gym 4-5 times a week a hour at a time.
    Question #2. Meal prep, I don't do a lot of recipes, I'm just not that type, but the thing that helps me is that I buy a lot of raw veggies that I can just cut up and put in baggies. My meats of course I cook, but I buy lean meats (turkey, chicken breast"skinless", and fish) I don't eat beef nor pork. STAY AWAY FROM PROCESSED FOODS. Question #3. Partner up with someone whose looking to lose the weight, and push through it. I also started taking Vitamins again. What you can also do that I find helpful for me, is to read a lot of success stories which helps me a lot. They tend to get you motivated.
    I hope this helps.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    toni5363 wrote: »
    Danielle, the question is, are you truly ready to lose weight, or do you truly want to lose weight? I had to ask myself the same question this past weekend. I went to the store to buy an outfit, and couldn't fit into the size I thought I wore, and when I actually looked at myself in the mirror I knew then I had to do something, because I did not like what I saw. In order to lose weight one has to make a life style change, and diets doesn't work long term. We have to do something different, because what we are doing now clearly isn't working. What I mean by life style change is eating healthy, drink plenty of water, and yes the dreaded word exercising (well for me it's the dreaded word). The older I get the more I don't want to exercise. So, if you're not doing those things It's going to be hard to lose the weight.
    The answer to question #1. That really depends on you. I'm not a morning person, so I workout in the afternoon. We have a gym at my work, so I will be hitting the gym 4-5 times a week a hour at a time.
    Question #2. Meal prep, I don't do a lot of recipes, I'm just not that type, but the thing that helps me is that I buy a lot of raw veggies that I can just cut up and put in baggies. My meats of course I cook, but I buy lean meats (turkey, chicken breast"skinless", and fish) I don't eat beef nor pork. STAY AWAY FROM PROCESSED FOODS. Question #3. Partner up with someone whose looking to lose the weight, and push through it. I also started taking Vitamins again. What you can also do that I find helpful for me, is to read a lot of success stories which helps me a lot. They tend to get you motivated.
    I hope this helps.

Processed food doesn't make you fat. Too much food period makes you fat.

Anyway, for OP, as far as dinner goes, I have a pressure cooker and that makes awesome delicious meals that would take hours in usually 45 minutes or less. It has replaced my slow cooker a long time ago. Definitely a good investment.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    toni5363 wrote: »
    I hope this helps.

Processed food doesn't make you fat. Too much food period makes you fat.

Anyway, for OP, as far as dinner goes, I have a pressure cooker and that makes awesome delicious meals that would take hours in usually 45 minutes or less. It has replaced my slow cooker a long time ago. Definitely a good investment.

Pressure cookers are awesome!
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Whether you work out better in the morning is based on you. If you think it'll work better for you, give it a shot and see if it helps. I personally work out better in the afternoon but that's just me.

As far as meal prep goes, I too am not so good at this so I know how you feel! Chicken has become my friend. I buy a pack of tenderloins or filleted breasts (watch for added sodium as some raw chicken is injected with a salt solution) and bake them in the oven all at once. I usually use a sauce with them as seasoning and just switch this up from week to week. For veggies I buy those frozen most of the time - just steam and serve but watch out for pre-seasoned brands, and for carbs at dinner I usually rely on rice. So reheat some chicken, steam some veggies and cook/reheat some rice and dinner's ready. Not very exciting but it's doable time-wise and it's something I can stick to.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    First of all, good on you for coming here and asking for help. Even if just one or two tips help you out, that's one or two more than you had before :D It's hard to put your health first when life is chaotic and busy and convenience is so easy. I don't know how much help I'll be but here's what I've got:

1. Do people find working out in the morning is better than the afternoon? As in, are you more motivated and energized?
    I feel really good when I can work out in the morning- it sets my whole day up nicely and I feel accomplished. In real life though, I rarely get in an am workout. I don't sleep until 1-3am and I'd have to wake up around 5am to get in 1 hour before hubs goes to work. Not including drive time if I go to the gym (I don't feel safe running outdoors alone that early in the am). I found that I also really enjoy early afternoon workouts as a destressor and I can/do push myself pretty hard when I'm stressed out ;)

2. If you do workout in the morning, do you eat before or after?
    When I do my weekend long runs in the morning, I eat something very small (1/4 cup of cheerios with almond milk or 1 piece of toast with PB) but only if I'm going to be running more than 1 hour. Less than an hour and I don't worry about it.

3. For someone crazy busy such as myself, what do you find is the best way to meal prep, or to handle dinner?
    Always plan your meals in advance- make a menu, a shopping list, go shopping. If possible, have some things already done- precook taco meat or shredded chicken for example, precut veggies and fruit. I'm a big fan of prelogging as well. Sometimes I'll log a few days in a row and then I don't have to worry about what to have and whether it'll fit my cals. It's already done, I just eat the food haha. I LOVE soups- just throw it all in a simmer and I second the crockpot thing. I'll also make double batches of casseroles/soups/etc and freeze half so I always have a quick meal ready to pull out, defrost and cook.

4. If you have had this sort of lack of motivation, what did you do to overcome it?
    Okay, this is a little weird, but when I'm meh about exercise, I'll look up things like 'motivational running quotes' and look through the images. Some are funny and some are inspirational but usually after poking through them for 20 min or so, I'm ready to get out there :) If I'm tempted to go food crazy, I'll look up before and after pics for my height/weight or scour the boards here to get a better perspective on things.

I eat processed food sometimes and sweets every day. I make it fit in if I want it and I try to eat things I enjoy- no snacking on cake just because it's there (I hate cake so I don't know why I'd always eat it!). I do try to make most meals homemade with fresh ingredients. I also use real butter and olive oil (and log them) because they taste better and are satisfying.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    1. If nothing else, working out in the morning doesn't let you have an excuse. But walking during lunch is great too.
    2. Meal prep is great on the weekends. However, I couldn't go until 9PM until dinner. I make a certain amount of staples for the week and just add them to whatever I am making real quick. For example, I make alot of lentils and add that to some frozen vegetables and add sauce for dinner some nights.
    3. I've found the key to weight loss (I've lost 100 lbs, gained it back, and am losing it again) is discipline. Start by logging your food for a week or two to get an idea of how much you eat. You don't have to change the way you eat, just eat less. However, I found when eating healthier, I had more energy, was fuller for longer, and after hitting my nutrient goals, had alittle bit of wiggle room for a snack or treat. You probably already know this, but pub food and beer will wreak your diet (someone will say if it fits your calories... My argument with pub food is it is usually high in calories and by the end of the day, you might not have much left, or if you save calories for that night, than you might be hungry all day).
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    1. I work out in the PM. Afternoon or evening is best for me. I am DEAD in the morning and really cranky and just not a good time for anyone if I workout then. If I HAVE to workout in the AM I don't eat before, it makes me want to puike when I'm full. Thats also why PM workouts work for me, I eat lunch then a few hours later workout then eat dinner when I'm done or I eat dinner, relax, workout then have a snack.

2. I either prep full on meals and snacks on my least busy day or I make two of whatever I'm making. Making a salad, make two and put one away, then you already have that meal made. Some very busy people I know love the meal prep services that they have out now, like your able to buy full on already made meals, its crazy.

Its easier for me to stick to simpler meals, I like eating whole foods because I get more of them, but junk deff has its place in my life! (hello donuts, my loves.)

3. Remember your goals. I lacked motivation really badly. My main goal is to drop another 20 lbs so we can start trying for our second child. That is giving me SO much motivation as the only thing stopping us is me.
    :) You'll find what works for you!
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    #1 rule of diet, exercise and weight maintenance: If you have no plan, there's nothing to stick to. You are what you repeatedly do. It's simple, but it's not easy.

Make a plan. Make it a single step at a time, if you like. Exercise will likely not be as helpful at helping you lose as controlling your food intake will be. (Recall that men can eat--and drink--more than women can and still lose weight, because sometimes life is deeply unfair.) The usual statistic cited is that weight loss is 80% in the kitchen, 20% in the gym, and I've found that to be accurate.

Pre-planning one meal--say, dinner, since that's where the biggest problem is--for a week would be a good first step. Get some containers and a food scale and weigh out portions for you and your SO. (This doesn't take long--I pre-weigh all the portions for *every* meal each week, and it usually takes less than an hour.) Don't change everything else for a week, and see if anything changes.

All real change is slow.
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

2. For someone crazy busy such as myself, what do you find is the best way to meal prep, or to handle dinner?
    3. If you have had this sort of lack of motivation, what did you do to overcome it?

1) I prefer working out on my lunch break or in the evening after work. Yes, I get sweaty on my lunch break and just wipe it off and use deoderant-some may find that disgusting, but it's the only SURE way I can guarantee I work out! Plus I have a better workout when I've been awake for a while and have eaten food prior, so mornings don't work well for me.

2) Handling dinner--Meal prep is great if you know you'd get used to it. I'm too sporadic in my schedule to set a time to do it every week, so I just buy some frozen healthy meals for the times I'm too busy and lazy to make anything for myself. No, it may not be the healthiest option, but it's better than not being able to find anything and binging on something bad! If I do meal prep, I do it on Saturday or Sunday while watching Netflix :)

3) The best thing I've done to help with motivation is post daily on these message boards and add lots of friends to interact with on my MFP newsfeed. It helps to see everyone else working so diligently to build a healthier lifestyle--makes me want to do the same!

Message me anytime if ya need a motivation buddy :)
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    One thing I have noticed is I do better well rested .. when I'm tired I'll eat anything if I'm hungry ...

Other that that MFP .. LOG CALORIES and try to hit numbers it recommends .. it's hard sometimes looking at the scale .. but when I went back 10 weeks I had lost 1.7 pounds per week and I'm set at 1.5 .. so good all in all good ..

Good luck
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm a grad student, with super long hours. When I (finally) get home at night, there is absolutely NO way I have the energy to workout.

So I work out in the morning. I get up an extra hour early, walk several miles, and have time for a shower and breakfast before leaving for the day. If I was doing more strenuous exercise, like weight lifting, I would have to eat before because I get light-headed otherwise.

If you love eating at the pub, don't cut it out. I love Chick-fil-A, and so I work it into my calories often. Work around the food you want, make better choices through the day so you can eat the pub food and drink the beer.

For the lack of motivation, no one can fix that but you. You have to decide that what you want in the future (losing weight, getting healthy, etc) is more important than comfort right now. At least, that's what I tell myself when my alarm goes off at 5:30am to walk.
  • MountainMomma58
    MountainMomma58 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If we had the answers to weight loss/control, we probably would not be using the site. Different things work for different people. Try mixing up your meals. Eat your breakfast, but for lunch, bring in something more substantial, like leftovers, baked chicken with veggies, pasta with turkey meatballs. Plan a decent snack for after work like hummus (not my favorite), fruit salad, or even a few pieces of shrimp cocktail. When you and hubby go to the pub, have a beer, but with a side salad instead of a meal.
  • ClareMillsRoberts
    Options
    I'm not a morning person so I tend to work out after work or at lunchtime - I'm really lucky that I have a gym at work that runs lunchtime and after work exercise classes which I book up to in advance for the week so I am pre-committed and less like to make an excuse not to go. I make sure to have snacks at work with me on exercise days to eat either an hour or so before or straight after a workout (a piece of fruit, a cereal bar or a small portion of nuts for example).

I sometimes batch cook things at the weekend or even when I'm cooking in the week I make a little extra so that I can freeze a portion or two for a quick fix lunch or dinner at a later date. Otherwise make sure you have ingredients to make very quick simple meals at home. Pasta with a simple sauce, omelettes, frozen bean burgers or falafels, baked potato with tuna mayo or baked beans, noodles in a miso broth with whatever veggies I have to hand - these are a few of my quick fix meals when time is short. You could even have some low cal ready meals/tv dinners in the freezer which would be better than the pub meal as you'd at least be able to track the calories.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty meh about exercise, too. I walk a few times a day (mostly the dog), but until I feel I have my diet more under control and moving around isn't so hard, I'm just gonna walk. I walk around 6:30 am and 7:00 pm. I try to sneak in extra walk during my work day for at least 20 minutes. Pretty much walking is the only exercise I've committed to, mostly because my calories are set very low for 2lbs per week weight loss (1250). I find I like to eat between 1300-1400, so I walk to create that buffer while still in my desired deficit.

Some day I'll exercise more (probably weight training), but I'm not quite there yet.
  • crissy976
    crissy976 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I feel what helps me a lot of times is a CROCK POT!!! lol You get a bunch of veggies and some meat and throw it in the pot, set it and forget it until you come home later. And you can seriously probably throw a shoe in there with some veggies and it'll turn out yummy. LMAO!
    No kidding. It's a life-saver a lot of times. It's like having your mom at home waiting for you after she just cooked you a nice hot meal! lol
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options

1 = I am up at 3:30am and no way can I exercise in the morning. I'm lucky with all the stumbling around I do looking for my coffee, I don't fall and bust my head open at that time of the morning. I am NOT a morning person and there's no way I'd get up any earlier to do anything LOL

2 = I grocery shop once every two weeks. I take time to sit down and go through the ads at my stores and figure out what I need to buy to last us those two weeks. Once those are home I split the meats out and decide what I want to freeze and what goes in the fridge. From there I cook the meals that I can bag them up and freeze them. Those I can't I just know what days they are slotted for and what goes with them then cook them on that day when I get home.

3 = Took a good, long hard look at myself. Realized I'm 54 and with more years behind me then ahead of me decided that I am NOT going out like this.

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    OP - after work, when you go to the tattoo parlor, are you needed to help run it because another employee leaves? Or could you use that time to do some exercise?