'Tight lungs' feeling after running, why?

Options
Lately after my 40 minute morning runs, when I get back home and cool down it's been very difficult for me to breath , esp. the exhale. This lasts around 45 minutes, the temperature has dropped 20 degrees in the past few weeks could this be the reason? It's now in the mid 50's when I run.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,056 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Maybe asthma? See your doc. That's not being caused by temperature.
  • adelanghe
    adelanghe Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's weird that you feel it only when you exhale... get yourself checked, that's what I would do
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    exercise induced asthma?
  • daffyfroz
    daffyfroz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    go and check with your doctor if you need medication for exercise induced asthma. Otherwise if you have just started running, you might be going too hard, go slower on your next run and see if it improves
  • monaleerez
    monaleerez Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks so everyone.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Adjust to the new temperature slowly. Its changed where I live too.. It will be 52 degrees during my run the morning compared to 70 this morning..

If you have been running fine up until the temperature changed then you should acclimate to the weather better. If it is truly lung capacity issues where your breathing is faulting (i.e as everyone said asthma) time to see the doc, I would not run like that anymore till I did.
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have mild Asthma (idk if that's a thing but I used to have medication for it and now I don't soo idk) and I got that alot when I started running. As I got in better shape it was less noticeable.
  • monaleerez
    Options
    I have mild Asthma (idk if that's a thing but I used to have medication for it and now I don't soo idk) and I got that alot when I started running. As I got in better shape it was less noticeable.

Thanks, I've Running for years, usually 5 miles a day, and I never had this problem before, so it was just odd. Perhaps I'm just getting old. Hahh, today I was fine no problems.
  • monaleerez
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Adjust to the new temperature slowly. Its changed where I live too.. It will be 52 degrees during my run the morning compared to 70 this morning..

If you have been running fine up until the temperature changed then you should acclimate to the weather better. If it is truly lung capacity issues where your breathing is faulting (i.e as everyone said asthma) time to see the doc, I would not run like that anymore till I did.

Thanks, that sounds just like my temperature change, I guess it's time to see the Doc.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    exercise induced asthma?

I was thinking the same. I only get it after extreme exercise but add in dusty or cold conditions and it's more likely to occur.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I got asthma well into my 40's. Just taking a couple puffs on an inhaler pre workout and I am good
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    I have that especially in the cold air. I think it's exercise induced asthma too.