Do you count your calorie as a Sedentary person when losing weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• unnichaacko
    unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    The calories that mfp sets are just one calculation. I personally had a big problem with undereating by following mfp. I did the TDEE method (fat2fitradio is a good calculator). But, even with that I need to eat in the athlete range of 2000 to 2300 calories a day to maintain my weight. Whether I exercise or not. I'm 5'2", 102 pounds, in my late 30's. So, it's not necessarily true that petite, low weight people need to eat less. Just something to keep in mind if you feel underfed. If I want to lose weight (I don't) I would eat 1800 to 1900.

This is something I gotta tell my friend. Not all petite people need fewer calories. It's partly metabolism also I am assuming.

If by metabolism, you mean she's quite active, and probably has a lot of lean muscle mass then yes.

Haha, I meant, I need to tell this to my friend who told me that 1600 calories is enough for my height.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    You have an activity level ..how much you move, walk, do basic housework, go to work, go out etc

And then you have purposeful exercise..workouts, jogging, swimming etc

MFP is set to estimate the first and give you a target to reach without the second. so you add the second on top

I don't see why that is so complicated

For some people mfp sets the calories too low. Even the highest activity level is too low for me. Even when I was injured, so I was sedentary. And the exercise calories option isn't the best for everyone if they log all their exercise at the end of the day. The TDEE method based on calculations outside of mfp have worked best for me for over four years.

There are many of reasons why a person does not line up to MFP calories; the Mifflin St Jeor doesn't account for body composition and people inaccurately access their activity level (i know a lot of people who chose sedentary even though they move a lot), etc... This is why it's important to have a feedback loop and modify calories based on actual results. MFP underestimates my maintenance (on the low side) by about 300 calories.

Also, when you are injured, your metabolism increase (similar to weight training) as a means to repair your body and get it back to normal. From the stuff I have seen, it can be a few hundred calories.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    In my case, I am a pretty small person to begin with, 5', and weight hovers around 105-108. And being an animator I usually work 10/12 hours a day which should consider as sedentary I know but I always remember to get up from my chair every 45 minutes to do 5-10 push-ups/1 minute plank and some 2 minutes walk. I also am training for semi-professional ultimate which is four hours a week, in addition to that, I play soccer once a week, do manage to do two HIIT cardio a week and a very recent attempt of lifting 3 times a week. Now I accounted myself as sedentary and the amount that it gave me was so low, I don't think I ate that low even in my early teen. Even then, i followed it for five days and I feel my back is dying due to low amount of calories because I have been told there's nothing called over exercising but there's under eating. I think I am under eating at 1600/1700 calories. But my friend thinks, considering my height and weight, its the right amount of calories, if not more. So here I am, very confused.

Not meaning to come across as judgmenttal but your weight is 105 to 108 but you want to lose weight?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    You have an activity level ..how much you move, walk, do basic housework, go to work, go out etc

And then you have purposeful exercise..workouts, jogging, swimming etc

MFP is set to estimate the first and give you a target to reach without the second. so you add the second on top

I don't see why that is so complicated

For some people mfp sets the calories too low. Even the highest activity level is too low for me. Even when I was injured, so I was sedentary. And the exercise calories option isn't the best for everyone if they log all their exercise at the end of the day. The TDEE method based on calculations outside of mfp have worked best for me for over four years.

There are many of reasons why a person does not line up to MFP calories; the Mifflin St Jeor doesn't account for body composition and people inaccurately access their activity level (i know a lot of people who chose sedentary even though they move a lot), etc... This is why it's important to have a feedback loop and modify calories based on actual results. MFP underestimates my maintenance (on the low side) by about 300 calories.

Also, when you are injured, your metabolism increase (similar to weight training) as a means to repair your body and get it back to normal. From the stuff I have seen, it can be a few hundred calories.

Yeah, four years ago my husband did an assessment of what he perceived to be my activity level and accounted for my low body fat. He came up with that I could eat up to 2300. And he was right based on my experience. I was losing weight at 1800 to 1900. Mfp would set me lower.
  • unnichaacko
    unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    In my case, I am a pretty small person to begin with, 5', and weight hovers around 105-108. And being an animator I usually work 10/12 hours a day which should consider as sedentary I know but I always remember to get up from my chair every 45 minutes to do 5-10 push-ups/1 minute plank and some 2 minutes walk. I also am training for semi-professional ultimate which is four hours a week, in addition to that, I play soccer once a week, do manage to do two HIIT cardio a week and a very recent attempt of lifting 3 times a week. Now I accounted myself as sedentary and the amount that it gave me was so low, I don't think I ate that low even in my early teen. Even then, i followed it for five days and I feel my back is dying due to low amount of calories because I have been told there's nothing called over exercising but there's under eating. I think I am under eating at 1600/1700 calories. But my friend thinks, considering my height and weight, its the right amount of calories, if not more. So here I am, very confused.

Not meaning to come across as judgmenttal but your weight is 105 to 108 but you want to lose weight?

Haha, I never said I want to lose weight. I have joined very recently and that is only because my health and performance are suffering because of my poor food choice. But after creating the account, I feel accountable because I am logging my food to the diary which is making me make good choices in general. :smiley:
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to sedentary because I sit at a desk all day. The majority of my fitbit calories (that I eat most or more of back) come from purposely exercising and taking the long way to the car and potty =D