Why isn't it working?!

Options
When I started losing weight, I was unemployed so had activity level set to sedentary and was given 1200cals a day. I lost a fairly steady 1-2lbs a week.
I've been back at work for just under 2 weeks doing 2 jobs... I work 7am-3pm as a restaurant manager/waitress. Day times are quiet so I don't have any staff on with me except the chef so just do it all myself so I'm on my feet walking FAST and light lifting for these 8 hours. Then I go to my 2nd job, cleaning myself and checking on my other cleaner at another site until around 6pm. I work out 3 times a week but don't log them. So I underestimated (I thought anyway) and changed my activity level to lightly active and as I'm close to goal, changed loss from 2lbs to 0.5lb a week. This gave me 1410cals. Just over 2 weeks into this new routine and I have put on 2lbs!! I've had 1-2 days where I've gone over by about 1-200 cals but I did that before and was still losing as I have days when I'm well under so it all balances out at the end of the week. What went wrong? I'm not sure I can go back to 1200 now that I'm working again. I don't think I'd have any energy :(

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?

This. Going from 1000 cal deficit a day to 250 a day doesn't leave as much wiggle room. Make sure your logging is on point.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    Wow, nice flow chart. You can't beat pretty charts and graphs.
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Also try making sure you are getting enough sleep, this makes a huge difference for me.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    good chance you are eating more than you think or you need time to adjust to this new routine.
  • MountainMomma58
    MountainMomma58 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You mentioned undereating some days and overeating others as balancing out. Your body will somewhat shut down if it thinks it is starving. What is "well under?" Your metabolism sounds like it needs to be more stable. Severely undereating will mess with it. Try to keep everything on a more even level every day.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    My bet is water retention because of the increased activity...give it a couple more weeks and if you haven't gone back to normal, start weighing (if it's important enough given you are close to goal).
  • safully1
    safully1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The flow chart was amazing. It is usually what I try to convey to friends that complain about the lack of loss when initially starting.

One thing that you need to concern yourself with is undereating (Mountain hit on this, too). If your body goes into starvation mode your BMR will drop significantly to where any caloric increases will net you pounds. I struggled with this concept for years.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Stress can also cause weight gain.
  • Nickisa24
    Nickisa24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You mentioned undereating some days and overeating others as balancing out. Your body will somewhat shut down if it thinks it is starving. What is "well under?" Your metabolism sounds like it needs to be more stable. Severely undereating will mess with it. Try to keep everything on a more even level every day.

By 'well under' I mean...for example last week I ate about 50-100 calories less than my target Monday-Thursday. Then I ate 200 calories over on Friday, 100 under on Saturday and 200 over on Sunday. So Monday-Thursday and Saturday, I 'banked about 450 cals and over ate 400 cals on Fridays and Sunday so it balanced itself out. Does 200 calories up/down make a difference to my metabolism?

• MountainMomma58
    MountainMomma58 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It could, depending upon what you eat. The daily allotment of balanced calories is there to keep your body running as best as it can. If your 200 calories either way are all protein or all fat or all carbs, that may make a difference. I would try to balance out what you are eating so its somewhat consistent each day.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Nickisa24 wrote: »

By 'well under' I mean...for example last week I ate about 50-100 calories less than my target Monday-Thursday. Then I ate 200 calories over on Friday, 100 under on Saturday and 200 over on Sunday. So Monday-Thursday and Saturday, I 'banked about 450 cals and over ate 400 cals on Fridays and Sunday so it balanced itself out. Does 200 calories up/down make a difference to my metabolism?

No.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Nickisa24 wrote: »
    Does 200 calories up/down make a difference to my metabolism?

Even 1000 or in my case a whole day worth of calories wouldn't make a difference. I stuffed myself at a buffet over 24 hours ago and nothing since, except a cup of coffee with a tsp of sugar this morning, and I'm feeling great! (My daily activity is light though ;)).

Think of your body as a phone battery. The rate of energy draining is based on usage, not so much about hours.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    It could, depending upon what you eat. The daily allotment of balanced calories is there to keep your body running as best as it can. If your 200 calories either way are all protein or all fat or all carbs, that may make a difference. I would try to balance out what you are eating so its somewhat consistent each day.

No, absolutely not. Metabolisms run 24/7.