Protein Bar good or bad?

Options
I'm looking for a snack that is high protein, low carb and low calorie that is still good to eat. Anyone have a nice protein treat that travels well?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How low calorie do you want it to be?
  • jjtweb
    jjtweb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Reasonable calories I want it as a snack not a meal. No more than 200 calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Nothing is really that black and white...personally I've never had a protein bar that I liked. I do like Cliff Bars on the go, but they aren't protein bars...I usually only eat them when I'm in a rush or out on a hike or something.

My go to portable snack is apple slices and peanut butter.

Also keep in mind that many of these products don't really have much better nutrition than a snickers or something...just good marketing as "healthy"
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Zone protein bars have bars that range from 190-210 calories and have 12-14g of protein. I'm not sure of the carb count b/c I don't really track my carb intake. But the Dark Chocolate Almond is 190 calories for 12g of protein.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I love snickers bars.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Pocket eggs. Beef Jerkey.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars are typically 180-210 calories with 18-21 grams of protien. Most are tasty, my personal favorites are Chocolate Peanut Butter & Chocolate Peanut Carmel
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Fit Joy is my go to these days. I get the chocolate brownie and it's 230 cal 20g protein, 25g carb (12g fiber and 5 g sugar). Since I'm on a balanced high protein:carb diet plan for the moment it works well for me. Not low carb but I certainly don't go over my carb intake for the day with these.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Rise Honey Almond Whey bars. Three ingredients. 280 calories. 20g protein. 16g fat. 13g sugar.

A little higher than you want, but deee-LISH! (IMHO) You could eat 2/3 of a bar for about 190 cal.

Try one and see...
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    FitJoy, One bar, Think Thin are my favorites.
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    These aren't considered protein bars, but I looove Special K's Protein Trail Mix Bar (160 cal, 17 g carbs, 8 g protein) and Fiber One's Peanut Butter Protein bar (140 cal, 18 g carbs, 6 g protein). They're just delicious lol.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I like Pure Protein's Chocolate Salted Caramel.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I love snickers bars.

I love love love their portein bars but at 280 calories, they can be steep during a deficit and are not low carb. I tend to use Quest bars since my wife needs gluten free and I like they have a lot of fiber.