standing OHP vs. seated OHP

Options
Lift_This_
Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
since starting 5/3/1 all i have done is a standing OHP, but i see guys at the gym doing a seated OHP, is one method better than the other?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Tagging because I'm interested in this as well.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    One is not necessarily better than the other for shoulder development but you will be able to progress in strength more rapidly with the standing OHP. Since you are doing 5/3/1, stick with the standing press. During your deload week you could switch to seated press.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My inclination is to go for standing. Then you have to use all of your accessory muscles to support your body in proper form while lifting the weight, as opposed to having some of that effort removed by sitting.

If anyone has evidence one way or the other, I'd be interested.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    One is not necessarily better than the other for shoulder development but you will be able to progress in strength more rapidly with the standing OHP. Since you are doing 5/3/1, stick with the standing press. During your deload week you could switch to seated press.

This^^^

Also, depending on what assistance template you're using, you could do some seated dumbell OH press in addition.
  • jaycbadass
    jaycbadass Posts: 325
    Options
    My inclination is to go for standing. Then you have to use all of your accessory muscles to support your body in proper form while lifting the weight, as opposed to having some of that effort removed by sitting.

If anyone has evidence one way or the other, I'd be interested.

THIS. when I do OHP i tweak my back and feel pain on my left side, an dthis is caused due to weakness, but seated ohp you get just a bit better form and press more weight.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I've been told by someone on my FL that "OHP is more of a full-body lift, seated would isolate the shoulders more."
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I often have DOMs in my core muscles after standing. Working core = good.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind though it's easier to subconsciously cheat while standing and give just a little hop out of the hole with your legs or even toes.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options

This^^^

Also, depending on what assistance template you're using, you could do some seated dumbell OH press in addition.

i do the BBB assistance...so my shoulders, arms, everything are dead by the end....a good dead.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I only do standing, I like that it works the whole body. Keeps the core strong as well.
  • jaycbadass
    jaycbadass Posts: 325
    Options
    I've been told by someone on my FL that "OHP is more of a full-body lift, seated would isolate the shoulders more."

Cant take this as law, but based on how i feel after seated DB presses i have to agree
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I do seated because I always pinch my lower back when i do standing and I can go heavier when i sit.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You will engage way more muscle groups with standing OHP. Seated OHP is removing some of the stability/balance responsibility from your body/muscle groups. Seated might be a good accessory, particularly DB OHP to work on any asymmetry you might have.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I do seated because I always pinch my lower back when i do standing and I can go heavier when i sit.
    I read and found to be true that standing is better than seated if you have lower back issues. The seated press causes the spine to compress.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I typically use both. The standing OHP is really a great compound exercise to use as one of the main lifts in your workout routine. I typically use the seated OHP as an accessory lift to really kill the shoulders at the end of the workout, sometimes even doing an arnold press to increase ROM and hit the shoulders at a different angle.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like everyone else is saying, standing OHP engages more muscles in the body, and it is the lift you are supposed to be using in the program.

The reason the other dudes at the gym sit is most likely because they are copying all the other dudes.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    seated only for me, but im overly cautious in gym
  • nanook37
    nanook37 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have low ceilings in the basement so seated for me...
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    do both.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options