Help so confused!

Ok I've been dieting for a month. Eating the amount of calories MFP recommended for my weight loss goal. Yes I've had a few cheat days. Drinking all my water. Getting in 45-60 minutes of exercise everyday. How can I only have only lost 2 lbs? I was eating awful before and doing no exercise. Help I just don't understand. I've even been doing 1 even 2 310 shakes with almond
Milk a day.

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Cheat Days? That can wipe out a deficient right there.

New to exercise, muscles retaining water.

I know nothing about 310 shakes.

Are you weighing your food?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Are you tracking your intake accurately, weighing all foods on a scale, getting the right foods from the database? The calorie burns are somewhat overstated on MFP and on machines, so be careful. If yes, then all you need is patience and be sure to log your "cheat days", they can make or break a diet.
  • safully1
    safully1 Posts: 13 Member
    I think the above posters hit it on the head, but understand that our bodies adapt initially to the changes in diet and exercise. There is a period of muscle gain versus fat loss, which is why body measurements are important to track progress early on. When you add in water retention, honestly 2lbs for just starting out is great!

Not a big fan of posting links, but here is a page that might help identify some small problem areas some don't think about. http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/lose-fat/7-reasons-youre-not-losing-weight
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Personally I think it is a mistake to react to and then change your diet on the basis of the first 4 weeks. I'd wait at least 2 months before taking a hard look at your progress and evaluating if anything needs to change.

If you change things in the first 4 weeks you are likely reacting to water retention variation not actual fat loss and that can through you off. If you on top of that make changes so that you are no longer consistant it will be that much harder to pin down what you actually need to be doing. Just stick with it for longer and evaluate in another month.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Do you log your cheat days?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    That said I have to agree with other posters, if you aren't logging your cheat days then you really have no idea what your deficit is. You should log accurately everything you consume, cheat days included, and evaluate after a couple of months with that information. Otherwise you are just guessing.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    I googled 310 shake. It's another one of those so called miracle weight loss things. The ad tells you to replace 1-2 meals per day with this 90 calorie drink. BS. That is no way to live.

Logging EVERYTHING you stick in your mouth is the only way to go. But don't be discouraged because 2 pounds per month is still 1/2 pound per week. You didn't put the weight on over night & it won't come off that fast either.

Skip the fad crap & eat real food just eat less of it. You really can eat anything you want on the MFP program. The trick / secret is eat an actual portion not what you think a portion is.
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    First, definitely log your cheat days--if you haven't been already. I used to not log my cheat days--too upsetting lol. But now that I have, I'm able to pinpoint where I could improve or how I could just maybe have one less drink or a few less bites of something.

Secondly, two pounds in a month is actually pretty good for beginning a weight loss routine!! Your body has to adjust to the changes. Be patient--it'll pay off! :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I stopped having cheat days, log what I eat and eat what I like. Besides, exactly who are you "cheating" here? Uncontrolled cheat days are like closing your eyes during a test. You don't know what the results will be if you aren't paying attention.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    1) You admit you had cheat meals
    2) You probably eat more than you admit
    3) You are less active than you think