Healthy alternative to chips

Options
I love to eat salsa, cheese dips, and chicken dips with tortilla chips. Especially while watching football on Sunday, but the chips are way too many calories. Anyone know of a tasty alternative to chips that would go with one of the dips?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Carrot, cucumber, pepper, celery
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Sigh, chips are my downfall too. Sadly, I use rice cakes when I want to dip. Of course, veggies work too, but they're just not the same.
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have not found anything to be a great alternative to chips, but the closest I've gotten to it are the Quakers rice cake crackers--flavored of course. I like the sweet chili and the cheddar kinds! 18 of them are only 130 calories and low in fat.

Actually there's also some yummy crackers I've found recently--Earth Balance Vegan Cheddar Squares. 30 of the crackers are only 100 calories, and they're sooo yummy! I'm not even vegan and I love them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    a variety of raw veggies....

But usually I just portion out a reasonable amount of tortilla chips...I love tortilla chips and salsa. Also, with some of those dips you're probably getting more calories there than in the chips.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Carrot, cucumber, pepper, celery

This.

I will usually budget calories for a serving of chips and whatever dip I'm using, whether it's a serving of Barber's French Onion Party Dip (aka the DIP OF THE GODS) or a tablespoon or two of hummus, and fill up the rest of my snack plate with veggies.

This way, I can still have chips but get to have a pretty decent volume of food, too.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Many chips are just around 130 calories for an ounce. I like Xochitl brand and I think those are 135 calories for 1 ounce, which is a good number of chips. It seems like you'd be getting more calories from the chicken and cheese dip than from the chips. But veggies are a good choice too.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Many chips are just around 130 calories for an ounce. I like Xochitl brand and I think those are 135 calories for 1 ounce, which is a good number of chips. It seems like you'd be getting more calories from the chicken and cheese dip than from the chips. But veggies are a good choice too.

Oh man. My sister makes this freaking awesome buffalo chicken dip. I would gladly give up 140 calories of tortilla chips and just dip celery in that instead. But yeah, the dip is way more calorie dense than the chips in that case.

I don't really know what I'm saying and I'm not really adding to the conversation but this made me think of that dip and now I want some...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Oh man. My sister makes this freaking awesome buffalo chicken dip. I would gladly give up 140 calories of tortilla chips and just dip celery in that instead. But yeah, the dip is way more calorie dense than the chips in that case.

I don't really know what I'm saying and I'm not really adding to the conversation but this made me think of that dip and now I want some...

I love that stuff and agree with giving up the chips for it.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Ripped up taco shells! I like chips and salsa too. Or tortilla strips instead of tortilla chips.
  • robingoblin
    robingoblin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I second the veggies. Or a spoon!! Or use a fork and knife and eat them with deli meat.

I also "like" Blue Diamond almond flour artisan seed crackers. They kinda taste awful, but they're pretty low calorie, and they're good enough to not ruin the dip but bad enough to not want to snack on them forever. I've also had pretty good experience with Mary's Gone Crackers.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Nothing is a substitute for chips.

This ... so much this!
  • danranger
    danranger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make your own in the oven... I slice up a regular potato (or sweet potato) using a mandolin (so they are the same thickness) and season them up with oregano or black pepper or anything else I have on hand, as long as there is no salt or oil involved. Then I lay them out on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven at 425 for 25-25 mins (flip them at the half way mark)... I nice healthy snack with no oil or salt. Yum!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    fewer chips
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Now I want chips and dip...
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Ripped up taco shells! I like chips and salsa too. Or tortilla strips instead of tortilla chips.

All of your substitutes are made out of the same thing as the thing you are substituting....Tortillas are tortillas whether they are chips, taco shells, or cut in strips. Why no0t just eat the thing you want to eat. In a measured portion that fits your goals.

OP I agree with the others who say you can have veggies with your dips to cut some of the calories but those dips are probably a bigger problem than the chips.

IDK me, when I want a specific food substitutes don't do it. I would rather have a controlled portion of the thing I want , than stuff myself on something I am not going to enjoy.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the good thins crackers(there are several varieties and they are good to me. I really enjoy the sweet potatoe chips or crackers. The veggie blend is good dipped in hummus. But I do the grape tomatoes, cucumbers, carrot chips dipped in bolthouse ranch- pretty good in a pinch
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i got this strange knife, it makes carrots into crinkle cut chips basically like whats often in cali mixed veggies? Because its ridged I find it makes it extra awesome with gauc or dip!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Eat less chips! I don't think there are too many calories in very few chips!!

The suggestions of vegetables gave me a chuckle. That's essentially changing your favorite food. If you are ok with that, might as well switch salsa to vinegar. Veggies + vinegar = you even "earn" calorie points.

This calorie minded eating starts to get funny. :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Eat less chips! I don't think there are too many calories in very few chips!!

The suggestions of vegetables gave me a chuckle. That's essentially changing your favorite food. If you are ok with that, might as well switch salsa to vinegar. Veggies + vinegar = you even "earn" calorie points.

This calorie minded eating starts to get funny. :)

uh no. No such thing.