Anyone else with an under active thyroid trying to lose weight?

Options
Hey guys, I have had an under active thyroid for 15 years now and to cut a long story short I have been put on a trial dose of T3 combined with thyroxine. I have always struggled with weight loss and I usually have a good few weeks, lose a few lbs then it stops again.
Is anyone else in a similar situation? Could really do with some help/support/advice.

Thank you

Replies

• pattymom1000
    pattymom1000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think it is fairly common. I take supplements from health food store I am 63. Not easy but Mfp and this community helps Hang in there. Perseverance will pay off
  • JennifrClaire
    JennifrClaire Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Me. I lost 50 but these last 3 months Ive been struggling to keep it off. At one point I was actually putting it back ON at a pound a week.
    People on MFP have been helpful and supportive though, both in practical ways with tips and information, and just keeping me positive when I was fed up.

Alot of us with thyroid issues here, and the usual prescriptions don't work for everyone so you may learn something that will help.
    Good luck!
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. I keep my levels good with Levothyroxine, but losing weight has been hard. I definitely maintain for awhile then lose some, maintain, then lose. Very non-linear!
  • mollylautz
    mollylautz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My thyroid gland hasn't worked since I was three. It has been a lifelong battle but with the right meds you will be fine! I keep a keen eye oh my health at all times. Over the years I have learned the subtle changes to my body and wellbeing when my thyroid levels start to get out of whack. You will get thru this!!!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I began Intermittent Fasting in July and then narrowed my eating window down to One Meal A Day (OMAD) in August. I have been losing steadily since then. I have Hashimoto's and take medication. I have been on so many programs. I would lose weight the first couple of weeks and even though I followed the programs to a 'T', I stopped losing.

I'm much happier, have more energy, sleep better, think better, and have went down two sizes so far. I'll never go back on a standard diet of 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. I have found what works for me and you have to find something that will work for you. Don't ever give up.

Good luck!!
  • Sophs380
    Sophs380 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I could definitely do with more support with this, some days I feel completely on my own with it, very low and so very frustrated. All my Dr says is 'lose some weight, it will help' or 'I think you are depressed, take some antidepressants'. I'm not depressed just fed up of being treated for my weight and not the actual symptoms.
    Perseverance and patience is the way forwards I believe, some days it is easier than others but I will take your advice and see what happens, thank you again. I hope you all keep on pushing ❤
  • turbostang7
    turbostang7 Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Me. Mine basically doesn't work or really release much of anything :( diagnosed at 18, I weighed 115 before it took a nosedive. Losing weight has been going much slower than I hoped. I'm almost at the 1 year mark and just passed the 60lbs mark. Only about 35-40 more pounds to get to where I want to be!
  • jesssiebee1983
    jesssiebee1983 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos antibodies and subclinical hypothyroidism- trending lower now. I'm basically waiting for it to poop itself completely before I go on meds, as I have another autoimmune condition that is affected by thyroxine. It's awesome. RAWR.
  • Sophs380
    Options
    Me. Mine basically doesn't work or really release much of anything :( diagnosed at 18, I weighed 115 before it took a nosedive. Losing weight has been going much slower than I hoped. I'm almost at the 1 year mark and just passed the 60lbs mark. Only about 35-40 more pounds to get to where I want to be!

That's amazing work! You should be proud of how far you have come. I lost 6 stone up to Dec 15 but since then it has slowly crept back up, and it's a battle to keep it off. I would love to lose another 4 stone but it doesn't seem to happen regardless of what I do
  • Sophs380
    Options
    I have hashimotos antibodies and subclinical hypothyroidism- trending lower now. I'm basically waiting for it to poop itself completely before I go on meds, as I have another autoimmune condition that is affected by thyroxine. It's awesome. RAWR.

Oh my goodness, that doesn't sound good. What do you do to combat it? X
  • mollylautz
    mollylautz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sounds familiar! We can push thru it! Feel free to add me as a friend!

• MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    My thyroid glands totally Stoppard working, 18 years ago, after my second son was born.
    love.r years and years i battled with weight issues, trying any diet out there and exercising but couldn't lose any weight. fast forward to 3 years ago, when i started lifting weights and did a high protein/low carb diet. i lost 35 lbs then but gained some back with introduction of carbs into my diet again. But i found IIFYM 2 years ago, lost whatever i had gained and more even tho i have pizza and all the good stuff i love.
    Just hang in there and don't ever give up! try and try harder until you find what works for you, follow it and you too will be in the best shape of your life in no time!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Have you requested a full thyroid panel from your physician? You need a copy of this and be aware of these numbers and how you feel.

There are several people losing weight with hypothyroidism and several elite level athletes with thyroid disorders, so while it may be a hurdle, it is not impossible. Gillian Michaels has hypothyroidism and is in incredible shape.

• apowelljordan
    apowelljordan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sophs380 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have had an under active thyroid for 15 years now and to cut a long story short I have been put on a trial dose of T3 combined with thyroxine. I have always struggled with weight loss and I usually have a good few weeks, lose a few lbs then it stops again.
    Is anyone else in a similar situation? Could really do with some help/support/advice.

Thank you

I was just informed last year that I have the same diagnosis. Any suggestions as far as dealing with weight loss?
  • jesssiebee1983
    jesssiebee1983 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Hopefully mfp will help! I had to weigh the negatives of untreated mild hypo with exacerbation of my other condition. I chose the hypo
  • Sophs380
    Options

Thank you

I was just informed last year that I have the same diagnosis. Any suggestions as far as dealing with weight loss?

The only thing I find helps is sticking strictly to the suggested calories my Dr recommended. It is hard and some weeks I don't lose anything but it makes me feel much better in myself. The tiredness is what gets me, some days I can barely function. Have you found anything that helps you? X
  • Sophs380
    Options

Hopefully mfp will help! I had to weigh the negatives of untreated mild hypo with exacerbation of my other condition. I chose the hypo

I hope MFP will help too. I'm hoping if I have some similar friends we can help each other out and support each other x
  • Sophs380
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Have you requested a full thyroid panel from your physician? You need a copy of this and be aware of these numbers and how you feel.

There are several people losing weight with hypothyroidism and several elite level athletes with thyroid disorders, so while it may be a hurdle, it is not impossible. Gillian Michaels has hypothyroidism and is in incredible shape.

In England it is a struggle to get gp's to do anything. I have had to pay to see a private endocrinologist and so far she hasn't been much help either. They all seem to judge me on appearance, their answer being lose weight, you'll feel better, or take some antidepressants depressants. She did actually start me on T3 a month ago and I do feel better most days.

I think I just feel alone, I don't know anyone else with hypothyroidism and it's nice to find others with the similar issues.

Thank you for your reply x
  • Susie_Magoozie
    Susie_Magoozie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, sometimes the weight loss for hypothyroid and hashimoto's people is a struggle because their thyroid levels are not optimum, think of it like there's not enough energy in their body so the whole system is slowed down. A lot of these people with autoimmune thyroid cannot even do anything beyond gentle exercise, some even that, until those levels get corrected, and a lot of people are able to return to fitness later on. I highly reccomend stop the thyroid madness -a website and a book and a facebook group - where there's help toward figuring out how to get the help to get your thyroid levels optimum, that's what I'm working on myself. I was really into fitness when hashimoto's hit; and I am hoping to get mine in remission.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

In England it is a struggle to get gp's to do anything. I have had to pay to see a private endocrinologist and so far she hasn't been much help either. They all seem to judge me on appearance, their answer being lose weight, you'll feel better, or take some antidepressants depressants. She did actually start me on T3 a month ago and I do feel better most days.

I think I just feel alone, I don't know anyone else with hypothyroidism and it's nice to find others with the similar issues.

Thank you for your reply x

Ugh - I should just assume when people aren't getting good medical care for a thyroid issue they are from the UK. Seems to be an ongoing theme. Not that the US is much better, but we still have a few endocrinologists fighting the system and actually practicing medicine.

There is a good deal of truth to the weight loss. Your hormones will not be balanced until you lose weight; however the imbalance makes it more difficult to lose weight. This is why it is harder (not impossible) for those with thyroid issues. We just need more patience, discipline, and focus.

There is a Hypothyroid and Hashimotos group on MFP with a few people in the UK. There is great strength gained from a support group - even if it is online.

Happy to do so. I hope this helps.

Best regards to you and yours.