It's okay to love food

The more I fought against who I am the worse it became. The amazing truth is we can eat what we love and be fit. Depriving yourself only leads to failure and guilt. To have long-term success you need to find a lifestyle where you can eat what love while losing weight.

Be in control and it's easier to lose weight if you lose the guilt first.
That being said, what food(s) do you whole-heartedly love?

I think my first true love was donuts because even when I'd let them go, they'd always return to me. :wink:

Replies

• bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    I think the most comforting thing in the world for me is a really GOOD bowl of mac and cheese. It makes me think of my grandpa.

I feel lucky that I also really enjoy vegetables and other foods that more easily fit into a balanced diet. The key is just indulging in the delicious, rich foods more sparingly.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Potatoes. I seriously have a love affair with these things, lol! The good thing is I can make a medium sized baker fit in my day, every day.

My second food love is either a fine, aged beef filet with bearnaise sauce or a big, juicy ribeye with a lovely cabernet demi glace. Oh, with a glorious potato mash on the side, lol. Alas, those only fit my calories for very special occasions. Good thing they're expensive, and I've a modest income :p
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Popcorn.
    I like all kinds of foods but popcorn has been a favorite my entire life.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I have so many foods I love. But I would say candy is my weakness, specifically chocolate. Not even fancy good chocolate, but snickers or kit kats and m&ms. I must eat them every day!
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Chocolate, guacamole, mashed potatoes, Krispy Kreme glazed donuts, butter on almost anything.

I do okay keeping the chocolate, guacamole or mashed potatoes within my calorie goal, but the others...not so much! I have to stay away!!!!!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    All food = love. Having an unhealthy attachment to food, not to mention the multiple health issues I have, I need strict limits so that I can see food as fuel and not as comfort. Comfort eating has gotten me to an unhealthy place and I have to have control in MY way. That means giving up things that I have learned trigger over-eating for me. Not everyone can have just ONE chip or just ONE slice of pizza or cake.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I have way too many.. I declare that I am professional foodie! :)
  • jenrak
    jenrak Posts: 11 Member
    Cookies. A piece of my favourite brand of cookies contains about 400-600 calories. I don't have the confidence to eat it. It is equivalent to one full meal. It's sad! But I choose to live healthy and live longer.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I love food too. I eat a lot of different foods now and I love all of it. It's just simple food and I struggled for a long time to understand why I would get so excited over simple food. Then it dawned on me that 23 years of eating cardboard can make any real food taste like heaven. And losing the guilt is the best condiment of them all.

I love to cook now that I let myself make and eat what I like, and my cooking style and food preference can be described as "updated traditional". Examples:

Black rye bread with butter and fatty ham, with mustard. Pork chops, mashed potatoes, peas. Salmon fillet, rice and green beans. Spaghetti bolognese withground beef, lots of vegs, and parmesan. Hot cocoa. Pancakes with honey and maple syrup. Frozen pizza. Cream of wheat with butter. A wide variety of fresh fruit and raw vegetables. Banana/milk smoothies without greens, but with nut butter and cocoa, or frozen berries. Stir-frys with chicken and rice noodles and lot of vegs. Vegetable soups. Cheese on toast. Chicken Alfredo. Chili with beans and lamb mince. Lamb chops, oven roasted potatoes and brussel sprouts. OMG, I'm salivating. Time for breakfast :D
  • Danika
    Danika Posts: 11 Member
    Pizza...I think me and za might be soulmates.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    My impression is that some people failed to answer the question, but in doing so, highlighted the importance of it. Your work on your attitudes towards food has paid off, OP, well done.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    I love fast food. I don't get to eat it all that often because I prefer to have 3 decent meals a day rather than saving calories for fast food.

But some highly active days (like today) I plan to fit in some delicious Chick-fil-A, and I anticipate it all day long.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    jemhh wrote: »
    I love a lot of foods and if I really want something I will find a way to fit them in. But there are also foods that I specifically love to eat in great quantity and that quantity just doesn't fit into my calorie budget. I'd rather abstain from eating them than to eat just a small amount. Those foods I eat only on very rare occasions. But I also don't sit around dreaming about how I miss them.

I have found that after a while I was able to reintroduce certain old favorites and not get cravings for more triggered. I don't think about missing them anymore and do taste a bit when offered in small portions.

I try to eat more fats and less carbs in general for satiety. Also if I start gaining weight I will modify a bit more of a deficit by eating in an 8 hour window in a 24 hour period (intermittent fasting). This has shrunk my stomach so I am fuller on less calories. I still am fond of food but try to eat a "normal" one serving sized family meal for dinner so that I can enjoy the things that I prefer which is a petite 6 oz steak, roast, or baked 4-6 oz chicken/fish/meat of any kind, serving of veggies with butter and occasionally a small amount of starch like potatoes or low glycemic bread or pasta.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I have way too many.. I declare that I am professional foodie! :)

Agree. I absolutely love food, mainly cookies and candy. I don't eat them anymore since I have no discipline :)
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Portion control is key. If it's my kid's birthday, I'm having a piece of cake. It's only about 400 calories, and I can make space for that by either eating maintenance for the day or going for an extra walk or cutting out a few snacks. We still eat pizza. Three small slices of thin crust is only about 300-350 calories (Dr Oetker cut into 8 pieces). I have a big salad on the side for bulk. We still eat hamburgers; we just use smaller buns and, again, have a salad or kale chips on the side.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    Fresh baked bread and a medium-rare ribeye steak. However, oddly enough, if hypothetically I had to pick one food to be stuck eating the rest of my life, it would have to be a lamb gyro. Just something about those suckers that I never get tired of. LOL