Halo top ice cream

Options

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Some of the flavors of Arctic Zero are not too bad, my favorites are the coconut and hint of mint... also, leaving it out for 10 minutes or so before you eat it helps the texture and taste. I am sure it's the same with Halo Top, some flavors will be hit or miss.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    pmastro724 wrote: »
    I REALLY want to try Halo...I love anything lemon - Has anyone tried the Lemon Flavor?

It's my second favorite flavor and I don't even like lemon things that much. Strawberry is my favorite. Birthday Cake is 3rd in line.

I don't have a Kroger near me anymore *cries*; Whole Foods is the only one around that carries it and it's $6.29/pint *cries harder*. But if you buy 8, they treat it as a case and give you 10% off. So yeah, I spend $50 on ice cream.
  • wendypollok150
    wendypollok150 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love AZ!! Especially the salted caramel- 150 cals a pint! Yum, no problem.

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Okay, still in the minority here. I bought some Birthday Cake flavor yesterday figuring maybe I just didn't care for Lemon. I think the Birthday Cake was worse. I'm not one to throw out a dessert, but I actually found this stuff to be bordering on "nasty" as another poster stated.;-) I know everyone's different, but wow, I just can't believe just HOW fake it tastes. It's really, really bad to me. I had to just throw it out.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, well I tried a couple of flavors of HaloTop and it was okay. It doesn't taste like ice cream to me, it tastes like a pretty good substitute. And considering it's like $6 around here, I'll keep budgeting my calories to fit in some real ice cream. The sugar alcohols also bother my stomach a little :(. Too bad, I'm glad some of you like it!

And yeah, Arctic Zero tasted more like barely-flavored shaved ice to me.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I read this thread not that long ago and yesterday while in the grocery store I saw Halo Top icecream and thought "eh what the heck, may as well try it" and bought the vanilla favor.

I have to say man, to those who say this is tastes just like icecream...you guys are in some serious denial. Tasted like ice crystals mixed with half and half. It wasn't terrible but it certainly wasn't Ben and Jerry's or even a Safeway brand icecream. Don't think I'll be bothering with that again. I'd rather have 1 bowl of real ice cream than 4 bowls of that.

Taste is subjective though so if to you it tastes the same count yourselves lucky and enjoy.

If you go into any diet-like ice cream expecting it to taste like Ben & Jerry's, you're going to be disappointed. For what it is, it's great. And for all y'all with lots of calories at your expenditure, get Ben & Jerry's. When you have poverty macros like me and want to smash a pint of ice cream, Halo Top fits my bill.

Yeah that is fair. I typically get by on about 2400 calories a day to lose about 1.2 pounds a week so I can afford to just eat Ben and Jerry's now and again. I only posted because I bought the stuff out of claims on here that it tasted just like ice cream. It doesn't. Do I find it "nasty" as another poster said, no...its okay, but its more like skim milk with icecrystals and artificial sweetner which isn't suprising because thats basically what it is. Not that I have an issue with that, I think things like erithryitol, xylitol, aspartame,stevia, sucralose etc are fine. I think it wasn't so much the sweetness that disappointed as it was the iciness versus creaminess from the lack of fat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    I read this thread not that long ago and yesterday while in the grocery store I saw Halo Top icecream and thought "eh what the heck, may as well try it" and bought the vanilla favor.

I have to say man, to those who say this is tastes just like icecream...you guys are in some serious denial. Tasted like ice crystals mixed with half and half. It wasn't terrible but it certainly wasn't Ben and Jerry's or even a Safeway brand icecream. Don't think I'll be bothering with that again. I'd rather have 1 bowl of real ice cream than 4 bowls of that.

Taste is subjective though so if to you it tastes the same count yourselves lucky and enjoy.

If you go into any diet-like ice cream expecting it to taste like Ben & Jerry's, you're going to be disappointed. For what it is, it's great. And for all y'all with lots of calories at your expenditure, get Ben & Jerry's. When you have poverty macros like me and want to smash a pint of ice cream, Halo Top fits my bill.

Yeah that is fair. I typically get by on about 2400 calories a day to lose about 1.2 pounds a week so I can afford to just eat Ben and Jerry's now and again. I only posted because I bought the stuff out of claims on here that it tasted just like ice cream. It doesn't. Do I find it "nasty" as another poster said, no...its okay, but its more like skim milk with icecrystals and artificial sweetner which isn't suprising because thats basically what it is. Not that I have an issue with that, I think things like erithryitol, xylitol, aspartame,stevia, sucralose etc are fine. I think it wasn't so much the sweetness that disappointed as it was the iciness versus creaminess from the lack of fat.

I'm with you, Aaron, and I'm a li'l ol' (120lb, 60 y/o) with a much smaller calorie budget.

My perception's a bit different - it tastes over-sweet and oddly thin/substanceless to me. I can eat Edy's slow-churned (160-180 calories for the 5.8oz mini cup) rather than B&J, and be pretty happy with it (especially with some PB2 or berries on top), but the Halo Top just isn't worth its calories to me, even though they're many fewer.

I'd even much rather have nonfat plain Greek yogurt with a spoon of all-fruit spread on frozen berries, than Halo Top. That's not ice cream either, but at least it tastes like a food to me.

Clearly, those of us who don't seem to find HT worthwhile seem to be in the minority. So, one of the enthusiasts is welcome to my share. ;)
  • CMNVA
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm with you, Aaron, and I'm a li'l ol' (120lb, 60 y/o) with a much smaller calorie budget.

My perception's a bit different - it tastes over-sweet and oddly thin/substanceless to me. I can eat Edy's slow-churned (160-180 calories for the 5.8oz mini cup) rather than B&J, and be pretty happy with it (especially with some PB2 or berries on top), but the Halo Top just isn't worth its calories to me, even though they're many fewer.

I'd even much rather have nonfat plain Greek yogurt with a spoon of all-fruit spread on frozen berries, than Halo Top. That's not ice cream either, but at least it tastes like a food to me.

Clearly, those of us who don't seem to find HT worthwhile seem to be in the minority. So, one of the enthusiasts is welcome to my share. ;)

You've captured my thoughts exactly. It's a rare day when I actually don't care for a "treat" food.
  • Loves2snack
    Loves2snack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    We have something similar here in Australia, I forked out $12 for a small tub and it tasted like watered down chocolate ice crystals. I had absolutely no fear of binging on that particular "ice cream"...

Are you talking about artic zero? That stuff is horrid! I cant believe people even eat it.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow frozen chocolate truffle bar is pretty delicious for 100 calories but it's more like a fudgicle than ice cream.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    Okay, still in the minority here. I bought some Birthday Cake flavor yesterday figuring maybe I just didn't care for Lemon. I think the Birthday Cake was worse. I'm not one to throw out a dessert, but I actually found this stuff to be bordering on "nasty" as another poster stated.;-) I know everyone's different, but wow, I just can't believe just HOW fake it tastes. It's really, really bad to me. I had to just throw it out.

I wonder if it's an age thing...I remember in marketing research class we learned that the younger you are the more likely you are to actually prefer the "fake" taste.
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »

I wonder if it's an age thing...I remember in marketing research class we learned that the younger you are the more likely you are to actually prefer the "fake" taste.

I couldn't say it's universally an age thing - I'm older than both of you and I like it just fine. :)
  • CMNVA
    Options

I can see that. I think us oldies aren't that into fake food, although I've certainly had my share of it. I enjoy most Skinny Cow products and they certainly aren't pure, but I still think this is one of the worst products I've ever eaten. :)
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options

I can see that. I think us oldies aren't that into fake food, although I've certainly had my share of it. I enjoy most Skinny Cow products and they certainly aren't pure, but I still think this is one of the worst products I've ever eaten. :)

For my palate, Halo Top is in the same general area taste-wise as Skinny Cow, but the macros fit into my range much better. Halo Top is a better snack choice when I'm low on protein. If I've already met my protein for the day, then I prefer to use any leftover calories on real ice cream (or COOKIES!)

I never have been able to get on the Skinny Cow bandwagon. There really isn't that much nutrition difference between the Skinny cow products and generic ice cream novelties when you compare them gram for gram. They just pump them full of air and charge twice as much.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

It's weird really because I've had 4 pints that tasted fine and another one that tasted really fake (vanilla - and I had had the vanilla flavor before!). But yeah, for me it's definitely to hit the 'eat the whole pint' spot on days when a serving of ice cream is just not going to cut it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Not available in Canada :(

Right? Ugh.... :(
  • cass0314
    cass0314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    arose1122 wrote: »
    Hhmmmm maybe your version is much better than ours. What's the texture like, is it creamy or icy?

Creamy. Not as much as the real deal but it makes for a good substitute and definitely much better than Arctic Zero.

Ahhaa ok, I think I'm getting arctic zero mixed up with halo top!

Yep I think so! I tried Arctic Zero a couple of weeks ago and your description is spot on- it was like chocolate flavored ice. AND it made me so sick! Last weekend I ate a whole pint of Halo Top mint chip and I could've cried... I went 40 days with NO sweets and it was a relief to know I could satisfy my sweet tooth without totally ruining my daily goals!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    After scouring the internet and countless phone calls, i finally found a store that carries Halo Top, Just under $12 for a tub, it better be worth it.Not so sure after reading the last few comments..
    They also have another brand called 'whey whip' peanut butter flavour, has anyone heard of it?

https://wheywhip.com/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    After scouring the internet and countless phone calls, i finally found a store that carries Halo Top, Just under $12 for a tub, it better be worth it.Not so sure after reading the last few comments..
    They also have another brand called 'whey whip' peanut butter flavour, has anyone heard of it?

https://wheywhip.com/

Yeah definitely not worth $12 a tub.