Resting heart rate

Options
My resting heart rate has gone from an average of 56 to 67 in the last month. Should I be alarmed?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Not as far as I know. Not a doctor, but both of those numbers are right in the healthy range. Mine moves around depending on the type of activities I am doing. What has changed?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    So have you been tested by your doctor? What does he/she say about that?
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Was that from just an isolated two readings or are you taking plenty of readings and that's an average? All sorts of things could push up your resting HR: post-exercise, fighting an infection, caffeine, stress, lack of sleep etc.

If you're not already doing so take your HR on waking each morning and use that to monitor trends - that way you're achieving as much consistency as possible in some of these factors. You'll also then have plenty of data to take to your Doctor if it ends up being necessary.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've taken my pulse rate (and for the last couple of years, blood pressure since I'm now old) in the morning (every morning) for years with the idea that an elevated pulse rate is an indication of overtraining / lack of recovery. You might also check at the end of your workout and then 10 min and 30 min later to monitor recovery. Regularity on this is important, we all have "those days."
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate has gone from an average of 56 to 67 in the last month. Should I be alarmed?

How are you measuring that?

It could suggest that you've been overtraining, or perhaps an early indication of a cold coming on.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Was it from the beginning of the month to the end of the month? Are you on birth control pills or do you have normal menstrual cycles? Your resting heart rate can be 5 to 10 bpm higher in your luteal phase of your cycle. It's usually lowest around day 3 to 7 of your cycle and highest from few days after ovulation to a few days before your period comes (day 17 to 25 of a normal 28 day cycle).

If you are on birth control pills than your heart rate will be stable as you aren't ovulating...and don't have a real menstrual cycle...no no luteal phase.

A higher resting heart rate could also mean over training, poor sleep, significant stress, or an oncoming illness.