Macros for Vegetarian

So I am a (fairly) new vegetarian and I am needing help with my macro goals. I cheer so on days that I have practice I am typically good with staying under my calorie/macro goal due to all the exercise. But on days that I don't practice I am either in school or work all day, so I am constantly going over my goals. Specifically, carbs. Does anybody have a suggestion on what my macro goal should be for weight loss (about 10 lbs) taking into consideration that I am highly active on some days, and not on others.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Calories are for weight loss. Macros are to support one fitness and health goals. Most studies would increase protein to around .6 to .8g per lb of weight during weight loss. But it also helps with satiety. Do you have any goals outside of weight loss. What is your exercise routine?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Dieters need extra protein to preserve lean mass while losing weight. I also very vaguely am remembering a link I saw on Facebook supporting higher protein intake to preserve muscle against aging. I think.

I do remember seeing studies supporting the higher protein intake, though! There's just not enough caffeine in me to remember the specifics :blush:

OP, I'm a pretty active vegetarian, and I eat around 50% carbs (to fuel my activity), 30% protein, and 20% fat.

Now, bear in mind that I don't find fat filling. If you do find fat filling, you can shave a bit off the carbs and move it over to the fat. Use the percentages that psulemon gave you to calculate protein, and work back from there.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Macros could vary widely. I know of ketogenic vegans whose fat is around 70% and then more Ornish style of vegans who have fat almost as low as 10%.
  • psuLemon
    Radish0 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Calories are for weight loss. Macros are to support one fitness and health goals. Most studies would increase protein to around .6 to .8g per lb of weight during weight loss. But it also helps with satiety. Do you have any goals outside of weight loss. What is your exercise routine?

That sounds like a big increase, I'm use to seeing .36 per lbs (.8 per kg). Why so much?

That would apply if you are in weight maintenance and that may not even be enough.

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/apnm-2015-0549

More recent protein research would suggest a range of 1.5-2.2g/kg of body weight during weight loss; the lower end of the spectrum being for those overfat and increasing at one becomes lean.
  • Tylre4815
    Tylre4815 Posts: 77 Member
    Carbs are the preferred energy source for both your body's daily functioning and spontaneous activity. Carbs should not be neglected or limited. Scientific studies on the human body's digestion find an 80/10/10 macro plan to be what we strive on. Don't worry about the carbs; in fact, get more. You'll notice the benefits immediately by how you feel. Then, try to stay away from excess protein (for girls, roughly 46 grams a day) and fat.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Carbs are the preferred energy source for both your body's daily functioning and spontaneous activity. Carbs should not be neglected or limited. Scientific studies on the human body's digestion find an 80/10/10 macro plan to be what we strive on. Don't worry about the carbs; in fact, get more. You'll notice the benefits immediately by how you feel. Then, try to stay away from excess protein (for girls, roughly 46 grams a day) and fat.

46g of protein for women? Yeah... no, that depends on the activity level.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Girls shouldn't be on this website, it's intended for those 18+.

When you say that 80/10/10 is what we "strive" on (thrive?), what studies are you referring to?
  • psuLemon

Do you have proof of that?