Strong lifts and fat loss

Options
I'm wanting to lose about a stone and a ton of bodyfat from thighs, hips and bottom and would also like to be stronger. Would strong lifts be a good program for me along with c25k? Should I do the running on same day as weights or on rest days for maximum results?

Replies

• Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you really want to do cardio, don't do it on the same day as weightlifting.

Stronglifts is good, but I wouldn't do it alongside c25k. Just choose one or the other at first if you want to maximize your results, although you can do cardio if you enjoy it... but I would not do it on the same day as weightlifting.
  • Bojemoy
    Bojemoy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Drawoc wrote: »

Stronglifts is good, but I wouldn't do it alongside c25k. Just choose one or the other at first if you want to maximize your results, although you can do cardio if you enjoy it... but I would not do it on the same day as weightlifting.

This ^

Plus unfortunately you cannot "spot reduce" fat. You cannot tell the body which area of fat it will use up on your next exercise session. Doing a caloric deficit diet and resistance training is the best way to reduce fat overall, and if you're lucky, on the areas you prefer
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing 5x5 while training for a half marathon in 10 days. I have kept my squats light because as my training runs progressed out to 8+ miles on non lifting days my legs were constantly sore. I deloaded ad am keeping my squat weight around 150lbs until after the race.

my schedule is monday wednesday friday weights
    tuesday thursday 4-5 miles
    Saturday or Sunday I take a long run on one of those days and use the other as a rest day.

I had lost about 50lbs doing this schedule in about 5 months but have decided to eat at maintainance at 235 until after my race so that I am in the best possible shape for race day(weight has stayed the same for 3 weeks but body is still shrinking so I must be doing something right).. Due to the caloric deficit I didn't have as many strength or speed gains as I would have liked but the changes in habit and attitude were worth it.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Drawoc wrote: »

A beginner for both programs could easily do both. Neither are strenuous assuming you're not extremely overweight. C25k will get you to 3 miles at a slower pace which isn't going to kill your strength workout as long as you space them out. The linked info isn't really relevant to lower level training.

I'd stagger the beginnings of each maybe, but the running will probably help with your beginner DOMS. Just be sure to eat enough.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    First, yes, Stronglifts and C25K are very doable together as long as you're getting enough rest and you're smart about taking an extra recovery day if you need it.

There are conflicting opinions on whether to lift and run on the same day. On the one hand, there's the group that alternates because they don't want to run or lift when already tired and think they don't get the most out of the workouts otherwise. Then there's the group that does both on the same day because they believe that a day of complete rest is more important and that training while tired has its benefits. Both have valid points, and proponents who are athletes in one or both sports (bodybuilding/powerlifting and running).

Personally, I've done it both ways. I prefer to run and lift on the same day. I prefer to lift first (again, I've done it both ways) and get the most out of the strength training. That carries over to running more than running benefits carry over to lifting. Though, when I did run first and lift later I still managed to progress in lifting at a perfectly acceptable rate. I got to dreading the lifts with tired legs, though. Running on tired legs is not nearly such a big deal for me.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I would pick one or the other and master it before combining different programs. I did SL 5x5 for several months. Got lean, lost body fat and learned all the basics of heavy lifting. Once I surpassed the program I moved on to a program from a trainer developed for an athlete / female body builder. 6 days on, 7th day rest. I would say start with SL and perfect your form, go with the weight progression until you have to de-load, then start a new program.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    First, yes, Stronglifts and C25K are very doable together as long as you're getting enough rest and you're smart about taking an extra recovery day if you need it.

There are conflicting opinions on whether to lift and run on the same day. On the one hand, there's the group that alternates because they don't want to run or lift when already tired and think they don't get the most out of the workouts otherwise. Then there's the group that does both on the same day because they believe that a day of complete rest is more important and that training while tired has its benefits. Both have valid points, and proponents who are athletes in one or both sports (bodybuilding/powerlifting and running).

Personally, I've done it both ways. I prefer to run and lift on the same day. I prefer to lift first (again, I've done it both ways) and get the most out of the strength training. That carries over to running more than running benefits carry over to lifting. Though, when I did run first and lift later I still managed to progress in lifting at a perfectly acceptable rate. I got to dreading the lifts with tired legs, though. Running on tired legs is not nearly such a big deal for me.

Agree. I run everyday regardless of how much I lift or which muscle groups I am working. Love the combination of lifting heavy with cardio after... it feels good.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Agree with Laz (did I just say that?!? :D ) and Stealth.
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am currently doing both on the same day with no problems. MWF. Just make sure you are fueling your body by eating enough. One day I didn't eat enough and I was drained through my workout and afterwards.