Do you need more calories when ill?

Options
DizzyMissIzzy
DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
edited September 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hey all,

I've been eating at a deficit since about November of last year, I've almost hit my goal weight, but I've come down with a really nasty cold that's been going around my workplace. I've been eating at a very small deficit still, edging closer to maintenance by adding 10% back each week so as not to add it all back at once (1600, working towards maintenance at 1800) but since I've been ill I have been voraciously hungry. I'm not sure if maybe I should be eating more because my body needs more to recover, or if I'm just wanting to eat a lot because I don't feel well and want comfort.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat at maintenance until you're better.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    Maybe eat at maintenance until you're better.

Haha, this does seem to be the obvious answer, doesn't it. I dunno, maybe it's because I've been at a deficit for so long, but the thought makes me nervous. I should probably give it a try. Not sure what I'm so worried about.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Metabolism will increase in time of injury (think burn victims for extreme cases). So increasing calories can provide your body addition calories to fight the infection.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Metabolism will increase in time of injury (think burn victims for extreme cases). So increasing calories can provide your body addition calories to fight the infection.

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    Radish0 wrote: »
    Sleep is also what your body needs. That's how it repairs itself.

True, I slept all day yesterday, and most of the day after work the day before. I had to go back to work today so I'm trying to be productive while I have to be.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Stay hydrated your still burning more than 1500 calories just laying around I would eat in a surplus if possible when sick especially if I had a temp.