Alternative to push up

Besides using stairs, is there an alternate way to do push ups? I can't push up my body weight even once especially with bad wrists. Does bench pressing work well to build the needed muscles to help push up my own weight? Let me know what you think!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Countertops or even a wall. Google wrist mobility & strengthening exercises. Those should help, I believe it's gold medal bodies (GMB) that has some good ones. And yes bench press is a similar movement, but the bar is probably putting less strain on your wrists, which is allowing you to perform the movement, but really won't help as much as targeted movements to strengthen your wrists.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Wall pushups, pushups on knees, planks, and hovers will all get you stronger. If you have wrist issues check out some pushup stands. They'll put your wrists in a neutral position and take the stress off. I broke a wrist three years ago and still use the stands at times.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Wall pushups, pushups on knees, planks, and hovers will all get you stronger. If you have wrist issues check out some pushup stands. They'll put your wrists in a neutral position and take the stress off. I broke a wrist three years ago and still use the stands at times.

Same issue here. Stands worked great until i ditched pushups entirely for benching.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    I had some issues with my wrists too, but it went away over time. And here is another vote for inclined pushups, start doing them against a counter top. Good luck!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Planks with forearms down.
  • iNikosaurus
    iNikosaurus Posts: 26 Member
    Besides using stairs, is there an alternate way to do push ups? I can't push up my body weight even once especially with bad wrists. Does bench pressing work well to build the needed muscles to help push up my own weight? Let me know what you think!

Info that i didn't put in my previous post: My doctor thinks i have carpel tunnel in my wrists therefore i am pained when it comes to most wrist exercises. I am doing specific wrist mobility training at the moment but i haven't had much progress yet.

Other then that, when I am having a good day with my wrists or when i push through the pain i cant even lift my own weight once.

I have these things:

pDSP1-10911626v750.jpg

which helps considerably with my wrist problems. What I'm looking for is a way to build up the same muscles that a push up would do so i can eventually lift my own weight.

Otherwise thanks everyone who commented, they are all very good suggestions :smile:
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Consider wrist wraps too. I like the long ones from rogue. I can't do dips without them. TECHNICALLY, I'm not allowed to put more than 50lbs on my rebuilt wrist, but wraps let me get away with it pain free.

Just be smart about it. Don't work through pain.
  • Besides using stairs, is there an alternate way to do push ups? I can't push up my body weight even once especially with bad wrists. Does bench pressing work well to build the needed muscles to help push up my own weight? Let me know what you think!

Info that i didn't put in my previous post: My doctor thinks i have carpel tunnel in my wrists therefore i am pained when it comes to most wrist exercises. I am doing specific wrist mobility training at the moment but i haven't had much progress yet.

Other then that, when I am having a good day with my wrists or when i push through the pain i cant even lift my own weight once.

I have these things:

pDSP1-10911626v750.jpg

which helps considerably with my wrist problems. What I'm looking for is a way to build up the same muscles that a push up would do so i can eventually lift my own weight.

Otherwise thanks everyone who commented, they are all very good suggestions :smile:

for me I find these harder to use than doing a regular push up,maybe its me
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Given your wrist pain, I am surprised you can use the pushup bars. Try a one-knee pushup. That is, one knee on the deck, the other straight. It SHOULD take some stress of your wrists. Alternatively, you can try wrist-wraps, like weightlifters use. They might take some getting used to. Now, as to the upper body strength issue - to improve THAT, try DUMBBELL bench presses. They have greater freedom of movement - make sure your elbows go all the way down.
  • horsetrainer46
    horsetrainer46 Posts: 69 Member

I have these things:

pDSP1-10911626v750.jpg

All these will strengthen the pecs...barbell and dumbell bench press, dumbbell fly, cable flys, pec dec machine, dumbbell pull overs