To look good or to perform better?

Options
2»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Both. Started my journey 4 years ago (but had a loooong break that ended just over a year ago) with the intention of just losing weight. Now, I lift as I want to look good and become stronger, too.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Started off for sports, moved toward vanity, detoured to strength when I started powerlifting and now back to perfecting my physique whilst keeping up conditioning and functional strength.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I shoot for a balance of physique, performance and strength (probably in that order).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    No "journey" here either. The overweight thing was a recent, temporary state.

I decided to lose weight because:

a) I wanted to fit into a particular cycling jacket again.
    b) I wanted to be able to cycle up hills and long distances again.

16 weeks later, I reached my first goal ... took a 1-month break ... 16 weeks later, I hit my second goal.

I've been maintaining for almost a year since ... and yep, back in the cycling jacket again (it's actually too big for me) and cycling up hills (took on Mt Wellington last summer) and cycling long distances (400K randonnee in August, plus other shorter ones earlier!) :)

Next three month ... more cycling, hopefully faster.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight because I had put too much on again. At 5'6, 250 lbs, I couldn't believe it. I keep at it to continue to feel better (where did my back pain go??), fit into old clothes I loved, shop in "regular" stores, be able to keep up with my neice and nephews, and just not get winded walking up to the third floor. Often times, I find myself flying up the stairs now, just because I can. I enjoy working out, especially now that I'm lifting again.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I started out just wanting to drop a few pounds to feel better about myself. Then vanity took over.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I started out just wanting to drop a few pounds to feel better about myself. Then vanity took over.

It always does
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I initially started wanting to look better as well as be able to lift my baby in her carseat and stroller into the car without struggling. That was about 2.5 years ago

Now I do it for aesthetics, strength and because I like it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    To cheat the Grim Reaper......and once I discovered that I actually enjoyed running, performance (I'm 60 and well past worrying about my looks.....)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    As part of my treatment plan for medical conditions that I have.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    When I started, it was definitely to look better. I had already been working out, so felt relatively fit, just fatter than I wanted to be. Of course, I added a lot of exercise to my schedule in addition to counting calories. As I lost weight, I also became a better runner(and less aches and pains from excess weight) and got stronger. Many exercises just got easier and more fun. I had a lot less back pain. I learned to lift. Now I maintain and want to stay strong and fit. I'm not sure how much better I look, but I actually feel better and am more confident.