clean eating or small portions

Options
2»

Replies

• ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think that you should eat as clean as possible because it will only make you feel better and be healthier overall, but maybe instead of just eating smaller portions, you should eat the foods you like within your macros. I have had great success with that and never feel like I am depriving myself of anything that I want. Also, planning you meals ahead of time, especially in the beginning, makes it easier to make sure you are hitting your macros and not overeating.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was amazed by what food I love, like pasta, that I could incorporate in my diet and still meet my daily caloric goals and macro goals. I've made different meals that are much like what I used to eat, just lightened up and in appropriate portions. Also was pleasantly surprised by how much less I really need to eat, versus how much I was eating before just because I wanted to eat that much. I do try to incorporate more nutritious foods because they make me feel better in the long run, help avoiding bloating which can mask my weight loss, etc. I have found that if I incorporate what some may call "treats" in appropriate portions, like maybe having some Cheez-Its after work, but weighing out a serving or half serving, I don't feel ill or sluggish. But if I go hog wild all day or all weekend and eat copious amounts of rich/greasy/etc food, I'm not going to feel at my optimum.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I pick the third option, calorie counting...what the website is designed for.
  • Jeaniejack
    Jeaniejack Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love the Shred diet! Never get hungry on it!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting. I eat what I like, weigh all foods and stay within my calorie goal.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. Some people can't just eat a small portion of something they love. They find they can't stop at that amount. For myself, I do both. I enjoy my vegetables and lean meats but also enjoy a cupcake or soda if I have the calories.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I could overeat and get fat on a "Clean" diet no matter which definition of "clean" you use. Portion control/calorie counting is the way to go - and it works for whatever food you prefer to eat - whether it's the Twinkie Diet or Low-Carb-Paleo-Vegan-Organic-Raw.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I count my calories and eat whatever I want as long as the numbers 'add up'. Over a 100 lbs down in 14 months so I'm pretty certain it's working for me. "Clean eating" would reduce my sanity not my weight.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1)I eat in a calorie deficit
    2) I try to hit my macros
    3) I eat whatever food I want as long as they are in line with points 1 & 2
  • maewalk0126
    maewalk0126 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all so much for your opinions and responses! I think I'm also choosing the small portions. I did see the conflict with the clean eating because every source was different on what it would allow. I also do have an addictive personality, and it might be able to help me with this, however since I am already addicted to junk food I doubt jumping into clean eating it something I could truly be dedicated to after a little while. I'm just so ready for the change, I thought maybe jumping into a whole new diet would be the best way to go, however reading your freedback really gave me an eye opener.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I could never have stuck long term to just smaller portions, as I was eating calorie dense/not necessarily filling food.

I don't buy the 'clean eating' crap though, but I try to eat at least 80% of my calories in nutrient-dense, filling foods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I really don't see "clean eating" or "small portions" as the only two alternatives. Not "clean eating" (which means nothing anyway) doesn't mean you eat only high cal foods. I will eat ice cream if I have calories, but I devote about half my meals to low calorie foods like vegetables, and my meal volume is pretty large. My serving of ice cream might be small by some standards (not IMO reasonable ones, as I normally eat a half cup serving). I think one issue is just that people have some portion distortion, but beyond that it doesn't need to be all or nothing. I reduced calories in lots of meals I ate (which were reasonably healthy already) just by reducing things like cheese or oil or measuring pasta servings and adding more of the lower calorie elements of the dishes (vegetables, lean meat). It wasn't that much of a cut, if any, from a volume POV. (A bigger thing for me was not eating when I am not hungry and specifically not eating between meals. Grazing works for some, but it's never satisfying for me and not connected to actual hunger most of the time.)
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    clean eating makes me *feel* good
    Portion control is what makes me lose weight successfuly
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Eating a healthful diet makes me feel good.

People feel good eating lots of different ways, though.