Advice please strong lifts 5x5

Options
Hi am looking to start sl 5x5 on 1st October, am currently 10st 5lb but want to get down to 9st would this be possible just doing sl or should/can I do cardio as well. Also when starting how should I warm up as I will be starting my sl with the empty bar. I haven't lifted weights before but I do metafit which is body weight exercises. Thanks

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I'm still a noob (started around 2 months ago). Since you haven't done lifting, stick to the lifting without hardcore cardio for now, but if you wanted to earn some extra calories, go with some very easy cardio such as walking on off days and after lifting (or 8 hours before lifting) for now. Weight loss is achieved via calorie deficit. If you find that you're feeling light headed during lifts, decrease your deficit (I find a 300 cal deficit more comfortable for me than a 500 cal for now).

Will you be going to a gym? If yes, some gyms have fixed weight barbells that are lighter than the oly bar. I would use those as well as body weight to warm up.

I usually start off with the 'limber 11' some time during the day, then a 10 minute slow incline treadmill walk right before, followed by A body weight set and work my way up to my starting weight, then do my sets.

If you can, download the stronglifts app.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Body weight squats, jumping jacks, burpees, lunges (both front and side) and exercises like that should help get you warmed up. As you add weight to the bar, then you can start to do some warm up lifts with weight. Go easy and you'll be amazed at how fast you can progress with this program. A 20 minute brisk walk on off days is a good place to start with for cardio.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    As long as you are in a calorie deficit (i.e. eating less than you burn) you will lose weight. It doesn't matter which exercise you do. Weightlifting will help make sure that more of the weight you lose is fat, and not muscle. But calories are what matters in the end.

Edited to add: For warmups, read the website. Mehdi has a ton of info on there and covers warmups. In general, while the weights are low in the beginning warmups aren't necessary. But the premium version of the app will give you a warmup routine when you progress to higher weights. I personally run 3/4 mile to the gym and call that my warmup and do the warmup sets that the app gives me for each lift.